1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Where is a good place to sell a used rifle (legally and above board)? Looking to sell my Bergara Crest in 6.5 prc, It is a great gun, my concussions make me sensitive to recoil, and I just cant shoot it, and suffer like that. Even though it would not be bad for others less sensitive to recoil. Help is appreciated. Ski

2. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Gun broker.Com? Or your local gun shop?

skidooboy likes this.
  3. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Not sure what region of the US you are in, but there's usually local gun forums where you can sell it and be in compliance with rules. Here in Oregon we have nwfirearms.com which has a pretty active classifieds section.
    It looks like you are in Michigan:
    https://www.migunowners.org/forum/forum.php
    https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forums/firearms.32/

Some nationwide sites: gunbroker.com // armslist.com // gunsamerica.com if you are willing to ship.
    Get paid first, then ship. Make the buyer pay the shipping + ffl charges, as not all FFLs receive guns from an individual.

Good luck.

skidooboy likes this.
  4. raven433

raven433 Old and Slow

Gunbroker is good. Also forums like Longrangehunting,Accurateshooter, and 24hrcampfire.

skidooboy likes this.
  5. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

What others said, I'd recommend local forums first. If you sell to an out of state resident, you have to ship to an FFL and have them transfer ownership to the buyer. And many FFLs won't receive from a non-FFL. Much easier to just sell local, face to face, as long as you're not in one of those cucked states that have all sorts of red tape around firearms in general.

skidooboy likes this.
  6. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

as redtail said local forums are great, our GA forum is a great place to buy and sell stuff and you get a pretty good feel for the folks by their feedback.

Another place to list it would be snipers hide. The PRC stuff is doing well, so that would be my second choice, but you have to join to post stuff for sale. Not that expensive but it does keep out the riff raff. but as with all online places you do need to do some due diligence when buying and selling firearms.

skidooboy likes this.
  7. Dillonjohnson

Dillonjohnson Well-Known Member

I have sold and bought a lot on Snipershide.com. I picked up a very lightly used At-x in 6GT not very long ago from a guy, so cheap I had to buy it. Haven’t even shot it yet.

I’ve used gunbroker too. I prefer snipershide, there’s a buyer/seller feedback area. Haven’t had a bad experience so far.

skidooboy likes this.
  8. Dillonjohnson

I’ve just come to realize it’s probably necessary to do a first clean on this Proof rifle I picked up for hunting, it’s got like 50 rounds through it. Well, it looks like with the way they made this stock the only way to get a cleaning rod straight through is by removing the barreled action from the stock which kinda sucks. Sucks to not have adjustable comb height too. One more reason to clean it less and shoot it more.

9. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

I think there’s something to that, at least for shooters that aren’t doing super duper precision shooting, long distance work, competitions, etc.

When I was in the Corps, we cleaned the everliving shit out of our M16’s. As in ALL the time. Even when we hadn’t done any shooting with it. I think it was done mostly to keep a bunch of hyper, testosterone-filled teenagers occupied when there wasn’t any training going on.

I’m convinced those poor things became worn out due to the constant cleaning, rather than shooting them. As a civilian I’ve gone the opposite direction. I rarely clean my gear, lol. I have a Glock 17 that haven’t cleaned in 7-8 years. Haven’t even oiled it. I’m doing a long term reliability test to see how long it will function without cleaning. Thousands of rounds and several years and not a single malfunction. Pretty incredible.

10. Dillonjohnson

Definitely. I’ve been doing the “less is more” method for a while. There debate after debate on cleaning methods and round count. Typically if I run a patch and a brush through every time, or every other time I’m out shooting I never see accuracy fall off. Big magnums are a different story, I clean them much more often but they’re burning 3 times the powder and a much larger bearing surface of copper bullet to run down the barrel.

Lots of people scrub and scrub and scrub and just can’t seem to get that grey shit out of their barrel, when they don’t realize they’re actually scrubbing so much that the stuff coming out on the patches is the steel of the barrel.

I don’t know if I’ve cleaned a handgun in 5+ years!

11. skidooboy

Maybe use a bore snake type cleaner, instead of a rod type? I would be hesitant to removed barrel/action from scope every cleaning. I would just hate the thought of needing to re-zero every cleaning. I clean only if accuracy falls off, or longer term of storage/not being used. Usually after hunting season, if it isnt looking like I am going to get out to shoot for awhile, I will clean them all. Ski

12. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

What's the good GA forum? I'm in ATL and wouldn't mind moving some stuff

13. Steak Travis

Give me like 6 months and I'll take it. I think I'm going to owe the Govt another HIMAR system but if i don't for some reason, then this extra money I'm saving I can play with.

skidooboy likes this.
  14. Dillonjohnson

I mean it is only 2 bolts that hold the barreled action to the stock. The stock has pillars, so it’s not like it’s a big deal to disassemble it and re torque it back down. I’d leave the scope ontop the action. More of just a nuisance. They should have cut the stock out lower, and made the comb at least removable.

I haven’t used a bore snake in a long time. Nothing wrong with them as long as they’re kept clean.

15. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

The Outdoors Trader. Pretty good place to buy/sell stuff as it's easy to see feedback on members.

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/

16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I now realize that it's a well known thing, but as a PSA for anyone in this thread who hasn't been briefed: Never do business with Opticsplanet. Seriously.

Yeah, I know. You've ordered from them in the past with no issues. So have I, but when it goes bad it goes bad beyond anything you could ever imagine from a well known company. I can't figure how they're still in business.

MGM and skidooboy like this.
  17. skidooboy

I have stopped using them after the last 2 orders showed in stock items, and it took 10 days to get... They are only 1 state over, should be next day or 2 day via ups, usps, fedex... NOOOOOOO, they send it dhl, which gets delivered by usps anyway, and takes over a week to go the same distance. Their prices are not that great to begin with. JUST SAY NO, TO OPTICS PLANET!

Off topic but, customer service related, Crossbreed Holsters has had a Supertuck of mine for a month for warranty repair/replacement. Was told 2 weeks for turn around. Have called twice, both times, I was told "we havent gotten to yours yet". Ski

18. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I've heard that complaint too but my situation is even nuttier. I returned a thermal that didn't work and I've been trying for 3 1/2 months to get my $2k back. Emails and calls just disappear into the abyss.

Punch Optics Planet into google maps and holy mother of Jesus. That's the worst reputation I've ever seen from a company that's still operating.

19. Steak Travis

Optics planet drop ships and is a bunch of BS.

20. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

OP tends to order items after they have orders for them in house. So once you order an item, they order from a distributor or vendor and once they get it they ship it to you... or have it drop shipped.