1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Put some friction tape, hockey tape, or soft side of velcro on the mag to get it to stop rattling. You could possibly swap out the bottom metal for a floor plate (common on rem 700 and clones). Unsure if that is cost effective, or even possible with the Ruger and the hunter stock. I have the same gun, and the 5 rounders when full dont really bother me. Good luck, in your quest. Ski

2. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

My Ruger American predator doesn’t feed without tape on the mag the hold it lower in the mag well. I should have done some research because it’s not even close to feeding and would have passed on the rifle. To really fix it, I need to get a chassis and that turns the $430 rifle into an $800 rifle and defeats the point of the cheap rifle. It’s really accurate though!

3. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Are there certain product lines this seems to happen more on? I've used razor, strike eagle, and diamondback scopes and they've done fine. The razor is on a basically bench rest gun with a few hundred rounds through it. The strike eagle has been the most surprising as it is literally my beater optic. It's spent the last few months hanging out on a scar 17 (notorious for monching optics) and I even ran a competition with it on that gun where it was getting tossed into dump bins at speed and it keeps on trucking. I actually expected it to break by now lol. The diamondback admittedly hasn't seen enough use, especially rough use for me to comment on as it lives on my wife's .22 which mostly lives in the safe.

I ask about certain product lines as the only one I'd be pissed about experiencing the issues you speak of is the razor. The others I almost expect it. I have at times considered a viper for various builds so I'm also curious where it falls in reliability. The Viper line is where I'd realistically expect those issues not to ever happen.

4. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I would assume it's the lower end stuff (china made?). I have a new Razor Gen 3 (6-36x) that I sold my Gen 2 to get. I can't see really ever having any issues with this thing, it's built like a tank. I also have a Strike Eagle 5-25x on my rimfire so it's a close clone for my big rifle. So far so good, it seems solid, tracks well and has good glass.

with optics I think it's a lot about you get what you pay for. I've read about most brands lower price china made stuff can have issues. the company usually stand behind them, but you still have to deal with it. I have a variety of optics these days but typically Burris, Trijicon and Vortex, but I also typically spend a bit more for the non chinese made stuff. I have a couple of chinese made red dots (Primary Arms, Vortex) that are fine but any magnified optics or on my main rifles and I'll spend a bit more.

5. Dillonjohnson

Dillonjohnson Well-Known Member

With optics it is most definitely pay more-receive a better product. I think most mid tier stuff $1500+ is pretty good nowadays. The vortex razor hd's are tanks. NF is probably the best as far as durability can get and it still has good glass in the atacr line. Since im not in Afghanistan fighting, i don't really judge them by durability. I cant even remember the last time i dropped a rifle, or even leaned it against something that there was a possibility of it falling over. If it did fall, even with a 5k Tangent, id still be double checking loss of zero. Its tough to visually tell how hard of an impact the optic really did take. Kinda like crashing a bike, some tip over and break an arm, some get flung to the moon and walk away.

6. redtailracing

Speaking of, just received my atacr 1-8 and I absolutely cannot wait to try this thing out.

7. Dillonjohnson

They are great. My only gripe with NF is the whole rear portion rotating when you zoom in and out, not really noticeable unless you have flip caps on i guess.

8. redtailracing

That was one of the first things I noticed! I thought I was going crazy for a minute and had to go rotate my others scopes just to make sure I wasn't losing my mind lol. But that reticle is so sweet. At 1x, its basically a red dot when illuminated and the tapered crosshairs really draw your attention to the center. Then of course at 8x, it's everything you need there. And I think for now I will keep the Tenebraex caps on and throw a little dope card in there. Probably just rotate the cap so it's vertical at 8x.

The one other thing I'd change if I could is I'd give it the Vortex Razor turret locking mechanism. But I'm honestly nitpicking at this point and the turrets are still very nice.

I was originally going to throw it in a Badger 1.70 mount and run an offset rmr but it seems like it has the potential to be so good at 1x, I may run it without the offset for a little bit just to see how much I think there is to actually be gained by not dialing between magnification more than I have to. We'll see.

9. Dillonjohnson

I did forget about that too, i myself prefer a nonlocking elevation turret. I grabbed a ZCO non locking to try it, and it still has a locking windage which seemed weird at first, but i do like it a lot now. I never did like a capped turret though, one of my older NF's had the capped windage, and it may be popular but it just wasn't for me. I do need to look into getting a 1-8..ive always taken money id had saved for it and blown it on other crap i dont need.

10. groundhogday

groundhogday Well-Known Member

This is a known issue. They had some issues with bad mags. Some have gotten replacement mags from Ruger customer service. Others have gotten an AICS conversion kit for cheap, again from Ruger CS. But you have to call CS, there's no link to buy it that I'm aware of.
    I really prefer an internal mag with hinged floor plate for a hunting rifle, but I've had zero issues with my AICS setup. And I can buy 7.62 PMAGs just about anywhere.

skidooboy likes this.
  11. Dillonjohnson

Went to the LGS and ordered a Proof MTR in 6 creed, its pretty sweet. Cant wait to shoot it. Needed something a little lighter for field use. The last carbon barrel i had about 2 years ago was crap, had serious poi shift after 2-3 shots so i think the barrel had some stress in it, hopefully this ones nothing like that. Typically i stay away from the carbon barrels, but Proof makes some great stuff, i heard great things about their prefit barrels.

DaveB and skidooboy like this.
  12. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with any barrel from Proof. They even have a machine that laps each barrel the exact same way.

skidooboy likes this.
  13. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Can any of you guys recommend a spotting scope on tripod for <2000 yds

I'm looking for something dual purpose for the house on water and the range..... and we have lots of fake boobies go by on boats in the summer.

14. skidooboy

All of my paperwork is complete, having my submission verification appointment tomorrow. Then they send it all in, and the real wait begins. I opted to go to the sheriff to get my own prints, sent prints in priority envelope. Ordered on 1/4, hoping they send everything in by 1/18, that gives me only a 2 week turn around on start to submit. Could have been a bit faster, if I went to get the prints earlier. They have a huge backlog of people that bought from black friday to christmas, the verification appointments are backed up to mid feb now. I called and asked, after I found myself waiting 9 days for my appointment, if I could get a quicker appointment, the girl was super helpful, cancelled my appointment on the 24th, and got me one on the 17th. Was a pretty good customer service experience. Thank you, for the suggestion, @socalrider . The cool thing about silencer central is, if you have submitted prints in the past 2 years, you dont have to go through that again. You just buy the unit, fill out the paperwork, sign, have your verification appointment, and wait. Thinking I need a dedicated ar platform unit now. :D DAMN RABBIT HOLES! Ski

socalrider likes this.
  15. Dillonjohnson

Got the Proof picked up. It’s a nice setup. Similar to a custom setup without the hassle of sourcing all the different parts. Zermatt action, triggertech trigger, Hawkins bdl and of course a carbon proof barrel. I haven’t weighed it yet but the Nvision sitting on top weighs dam near as much as the entire rifle. I think they’re making prefits for these actions too, so I’m thinking I won’t have to ship the action off to get a barrel spun up.

Attached Files:

16. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Very nice. BTW, you were 100% correct on the Henderson, got it in and love it.

Dillonjohnson likes this.
  17. Jed

Jed mellifluous

18. skidooboy

Anyone using Tactacam 5.0 and the FTS (Film through scope) unit, to film, shooting/hunting? Just received my cam, waiting on the scope attachment. Should be here, any day. Ski

19. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

When using it at the range, will you want it to have a reticle on it? If so, look up the reticle attachments first because not all spotting scope mfgs have the reticle eyepiece available and they are scope specific. If not, then pick a decent one from a decent rifle scope mfg you like.

20. Dillonjohnson

I do not have one but they do look cool. Would be cool for hunting though. Heard lots of good things about them.

skidooboy likes this.