1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightened rotors and chain alignment tools

Discussion in 'Other' started by Phat Chance, Jul 7, 2008.

1. upnadam

upnadam Fast x .5

Thanks Jimmy, the rotor looks mint. I appreciate the fast shipping too.

Attached Files:

2. Phat Chance

Phat Chance Silence, I kill you!

Sweeeet, Clean bike!

3. Phat Chance

Here is a custom rotor that we just finished.

[​IMG]

4. skeesm

skeesm Well-Known Member

Jim I know you're busy, but please take a moment and answer my question regarding wheel alignment tools to help me decide if I really need one for a 2nd gen SV.

Are they for front-to-rear sprocket alignment, front-to-rear wheel alignment or what? Are they really necessary for me riding a 2nd gen SV. I usually eyeball the sprocket/chain alignment and listen to the noise/grind volume when I rotate the rear wheel. And I judge how straight the chassis is follow a get off by the level of side draft wind I feel. :D Just kidding, I usually judge it by handle bar left-to-right feel of evenness while riding it.

5. Phat Chance

Mike, the alignment tools can tell you everything about your bike. The Old school string method is good but this is better and takes 1/10th the time. It is also way more accurate. You can check rear wheel alignment to the swing arm, which is sprocket alignment and most of the time we find that the marks for wheel alignment aren't always correct. You can check wheel base and you can easily check to see if the forks or triples are twisted with these simple tools. Having wheel base numbers is very helpful especially when checking the bike after a crash.

I can't tell you that you need them, that is up to you. I believe that everyone who has them wouldn't part with them.

6. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

You need one of these. I've borrowed Gill's several times, and I keep putting off ordering one of my own (for no good reason). Every time I adjust my chain to 'best guess' and then check it with the tool, it's considerably off. I am getting much better sprocket wear now too.

Buy one.

7. skeesm

skeesm Well-Known Member

Sold! Actually Jim had me teetering on the brink of buying it anyway with his explanation, your testimony was just added insurance. But the real decider is...will it help me to out brake you into turns?:D

How much Jimmy? And, just as important what the heck do these things look like and weigh?

8. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Do you remember at the Tally endurance race I was using that weird cone-and-rod tool when I was adjusting the chain? That's it!

Also, yes, if you buy one of these tools, you can move all of your braking markers 40% closer to turn-in!

9. Phat Chance

They are 75.00 plus freight............. at the moment.

There is a price increase coming. As you know, everything is going up!

[​IMG]

10. zero

zero cuckoo for cocoa puffs

What process is used to cut the rotors, lazer, water jet or CNC?

11. Phat Chance

We use one of our CNC machining centers to lighten the rotors. The custom rotors are usually cut on one of our WaterJet machines and then to the CNC mills for finishing on critical areas.

12. Phat Chance

Custom rotors are made from 421 heat treated Stainless. They are as good as it gets. Excellent wear resistance, and they don't rust. After machining, they are surface ground on both sides to a flatness of .0005"
    [​IMG]

13. Phat Chance

custom rotor for a V rod

[​IMG]

14. Phat Chance

15. Phat Chance

16. Phat Chance

17. F4Scott

F4Scott Step out of the car

+1 on the rotor lightening and the alignment tool.
    They did my rear rotor on my Ape RS-250 (back when I was racing on it) and it came back weighing less than 1/2 what it did when I sent it to them.
    The Alignment Tool ROCKS! Quick and easy. Just put the rods through your hollow axle(s) and/or swingarm and measure each side. Invaluable for aligning your chain. I only use the stock swingarm markings as a starting point. They are NEVER correct. With this tool, you know your rear wheel is aligned with the swingarm. I think there is a similar product for sale out there, at about double the price.

Scott P.

18. Phat Chance

19. Phat Chance

20. Phat Chance

RD 400 before and after

Here is the stock rotor and it weighs 4lb 8oz
    [​IMG]

Finished rotor now weighs 1lb 14oz
    [​IMG]