1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets talk helmets...

Discussion in 'General' started by Jon Wilkens, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

What other manufacturers have a long oval shape like the Arai Signet X?? Just looking for options. Seems vast majority of makers only build a regular oval. Love my Signet X, but always looking for something different.

Mike Lafayette and Brian_J like this.
  2. rwdfun

rwdfun

Not sure how long oval your head is but I think mine is pretty oval. I think Bell's are pretty comfy for my head shape

Sabre699, ronin1052 and Jon Wilkens like this.
  3. Jon Wilkens

All I know is, there is a very significant comfort factor with a long oval. Nothing else fits. Keep in mind, I am talking about street riding for hours and sometimes mulitple day trips. Racing I can pretty much wear anything since its only on for a short time and I'm not even thinking about it.

4. ronin1052

ronin1052 Well-Known Member

My head is somewhere between 'long-' and 'intermediate-oval' shape.
    • Arai Corsair V fit pretty well, maybe a tad bit roomy on the sides.
    • Arai Profile was PERFECT.
    Most other helmets I've tried are/were way too 'round', really loose on the sides. Particularly Shoei & AGV. No way I could wear those and feel protected.

I'm now in a Bell Star MIPS, the fit is very similar to the Arai Profile shape-wise. Not as plush and comfy, of course, but firm and snug all-around. All-day comfortable for me.
    3 seasons so far, I'm happy with it. Eyeport opening is far more generous than the Arais, especially on the sides. Definitely a plus.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
    Jon Wilkens likes this.
  5. ronin1052

ronin1052 Well-Known Member

Concur 100%.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  6. Arai long oval is all that fits me for last 20 plus years.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  7. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

LS2 Challenger is long oval. Loris Baz and others wears them. Got to look at Baz's at VIR last year and seemed well built and good features.
    No first hand knowledge though, sorry.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  8. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I'm also intermediate-oval to long-oval and I love my LS2. I have the LS2 Arrow and it fits awesome. I recommend them to anyone who says they have this head shape. In addition, this particular model has great vision in the truck and awesome peripheral vision. Can't speak to their other models because I haven't tried them, but I do believe their entire line is built around this particular head shape.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  9. saintlaurent

saintlaurent Well-Known Member

LS2 Thunder is a great helmet for long oval.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  10. definitely not a cat

definitely not a cat Well-Known Member

I have no idea what “shape” my head is. But it’s fairly round with very few flat spots. I was wearing Scorpion R1 size L. Fit very well but a touch loose. I looked up specs and noticed the HJC rpha 11 size L is 1cm smaller. The fit is spot on perfect for me and it looks awesome. I’m very impressed with both Scorpion and HJC. HJC just happens to fit better.
    I also had an LS2 arrow. I was not impressed with that one. Loads of fit and finish errors that didn’t fill me with confidence.

11. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I went from bell star to 6d ats1r and love it

03RumbleBee likes this.
  12. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Head shape is extremely important to proper helmet fit. AGV is a quality helmet, but the head shape is too round for me and left me with gaps at the temples and and too loose of a fit. Go down in size to tighten up that gap and now it's too tight (painful) at the forehead. Helmet made for my head shape (LS2 long oval) and now the helmet fits snugly and comfortably everywhere with no pressure points.

main-qimg-dbac5ead95f1d47f045001199f3e4542.jpeg Screenshot_20220701-151840_Chrome.jpg

13. 418

418 Expert #59

Here is a head scratcher for you.

I am/was a round oval in the Arai Quantum line, that helmet has always fit me perfectly. I've had two of those in XL.

I went to try one on recently and couldn't get the shit on my head. A 2XL mind you. It was so bad that I actually looked at the inside of the helmet to see if it maybe was mismarked. There was a 2XL Regent there as well and it slid on like a old glove, and that's a Intermediate Oval.

So at this point I'm convinced the helmet shape thing doesn't really mean shit and apparently helmet sizing and shape is a ever moving target. Which is a problem when you have a melon like me.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  14. Jon Wilkens

Yes, over time models do change. I used to wear a Quantum X. Then had to go to a Vector 2, and now Signet X. Maybe my melon is changing...who knows. lol

15. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

Part of it too is the helmet manufacturers tapering the entry point of helmets to try and reduce collar bone breaks if people fall down.
    But agree that you have to be able to get the thing on your head. Is a reason most folks buy a helmet too big.
    A point of "discussions" I've had with some folks at brand A, after the RX7 Corsair, Arai has continually changed the Corsair V and then the X.
    My RX7 Corsair fits dramatically different to any V and especially the X. Can tell they made the newer models more "intermediate" oval. To the point I use the Quantum X top pad in most of my Corsair X to get a more rounded fit.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  16. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’m an Arai long-oval wearer. However, I did discover the Scorpion 920 and 950 modulars fit me perfectly. Regular use of a 920 has convinced me of a modular’s convenience for street riding. However, the general quality isn’t anywhere near an Arai.

17. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

for sure helmet shapes change over times. I had tried on a few AGV helmets a while ago and they never fit my head. I tried on some of the later models (maybe starting 6-7 years ago) and the new models fit me very well. IMHO if you fit a Shoei/HJC, the newer AGV will fit as well. except the X3000. that thing fit like a bowling ball.

18. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

I'm also long oval, for the most part. The Signet was perfect, but I've been able to move into some of the intermediate oval helmets with decent satisfaction since some of those helmets come with other helpful features. I've worn (and crashed) a Vector 2, Corsair X, and Bell Star without too many complaints.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  19. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

I have a Corsair X and a Signet X and a crashed Signet Q. Biggest difference in the Signets vs Corsair is the chin bar is much closer on the Corsair, but they are otherwise equally comfortable.

That doesn't really get you into other brands, but maybe into other graphics you might like. Had a Bell Star from 2013 and I went up a size to get it to fit which works, no hot spots, just doesn't fit like a glove. Haven't tried LS2 myself but that's really the only other name thrown regular thrown out when other Signet owners are looking for alternatives.

I have that Scorpion modular too that ducnut mentioned, but find that it crushes my cheekbones on longer rides. Probably because I'm fat though.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    Jon Wilkens and ducnut like this.