1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's talk car tires

Discussion in 'General' started by r6fast, Mar 20, 2023.

1. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

I try to buy only American or Japanese owned & manufactured

There's only 2 American car companies left that are owned and manufactured in America that's Goodyear & Cooper.
    I like the Goodyear Assurance, I had the F models on an Audi A4 I had I had no complaints they are fairly expensive they were on the car when I got it...
    Tires are just flat out expensive now on my Van they're $1500 a set of 5 and I'll go through one set a year...
    But I suppose telling you guys that is kind of stupid ...you guys likely spend $500 each weekend on race tires for bikes.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
  2. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Round and black, preferably with a fat dude stamped on it

Phl218 likes this.
  3. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I replaced the crap OEM Conti's on my wifes car (VW Passat) with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's. It is like driving a different car now and is much more enjoyable to drive. I am sure I could have found something that would last longer and cost less but better wet traction and decreased stopping distance could be what makes the difference between having a close call or being in a wreck if things ever go pear shaped. Some people think differently but I will always sacrifice mileage for traction.

There may be better tires out there for specific purposes but I have never been disappointed by Michelins.

Banditracer and fastfreddie like this.
  4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Sooner or later, you’ll own General!! :D

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

All Season with some performance: Continental DWS06+ or Michelin AS/4

deweytheduc likes this.
  6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

And you bought the VW anyways…. :Poke:

:D

BigBird likes this.
  7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Same here. Wife doesn't put alot of miles on, around 10,000 a year, so I want grip and good in the wet over mileage. Change them and keep them somewhat fresh.

crashman and BigBird like this.
  8. CLM81

CLM81 Well-Known Member

I have had good experience with Multi-Mile tires for about 20 years now

9. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

I had some General RT43's on my Mazda 3, they weren't a bad tire, just a little noisy.

Razr likes this.
  10. deweytheduc

deweytheduc Member

Continental Extreme contact dws06+
    Have had some weird wear patterns on some batches but if you need an all season and don’t want studded for winter this works. Plowed snow over the hood with a 4matic.

BigBird likes this.
  11. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Cooper Discoverer SRX is what I have on our Pilot. I’m a big fan of Cooper tires. I’ve always had great experiences with them.

12. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

I ran Michelin LTX M/S 2 on my 03 silverado quadsteer for 100k. Wet grip was just ridiculous and never had any balance or alignment issues.

I have had a couple sets of Nitto G2 on my 10 Silverado but they don't have the bump absorption or wet grip that the Michelins had. They are cheaper and they do last longer.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Had Nittos on the Dodge, liked em but nothing special. Had Michelins on the Suburban and those were holy shit impressive in bad weather. Floored me every time I didn't hydroplane even slightly in huge puddles with as wide as the tires were.

14. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

Yep, I just had the boys at discount throw them Michelins on and it happened to rain. Hardly does that in Texas so I stopped the truck dead and stomped on the 5.3L (to floor) and they didn't spin.:eek: I was like whoa! That is impressive.:clap:

15. I put the Pilot 4 A/S on the daughters car and from the oem Michelins that came on it it’s like night and day. Car on,y had 20k miles on it but hated the oem tires. If it’s a truck or anything that will see anything that will need 4WD Nitto Ridge Grapplers are unreal.

BigBird likes this.
  16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

The 'Vette will be wearing new shoes on new feet come May...Cray Spiders with Michelin PS4S (non-ZP). Can't wait to feel the difference from the PS2 ZPs. Of course, upsizing may have an effect, too. Gonna fill out the fender clearance. :D

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

like I previously mentioned for cars All-season: Conti DWS06+ or Michelin A/S4

For wife's SUV we tried the Vredestein Quatrac Pro and they are very good, and are M+S rated too for an All-season

deweytheduc likes this.
  18. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Yzass's Mazda is wearing Michelin CrossClimate 2s. Snow was the main consideration without going to a winter tire. So far, so good.

19. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

I have run flats on my mom sports sedan., Infinity Q50. Came factory that way with no spare even though I picked it up used on a great deal. Just spent $1200 for Bridgestone Drive Guards. 60K miles tire. Super quite. Handles great. Great in the rain here in Florida so far. All the specs I've seen are 50miles at 25mph if you get a flat. My last set - caught a nail while 2 hours away in Tampa. PSI only dropped to 32 and didnt even notice the 8 miles to the mechanic. IF I had a choice, I'd probably choose to run regular tires w/ a spare. Something about the comfort about having a spare in the trunk. But this car has no space for one.

BigBird likes this.
  20. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

Are they quiet? I'm really considering them but that tread pattern worries me they will be noisy