Let’s talk touring bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Sep 17, 2018.

1. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

Well I rode both the Multi and XR today.
    Like everything there is good and bad about both bike.
    XR handles great with good power, egos are good but the vibration/buzzing through the bars was too much for me on my quick ride.
    Feels like a sportbike.
    Multi has a great dash, comfy seat and doesnt vibrate at highway speeds.
    Power was good and useable.
    The multi seemed a shorter which is good for stability when stopped.
    Overall both are great bikes but as of today I would choose the multi since I would be doing mostly highway speeds.

Gorilla George likes this.
  2. :confused:

According to the internet, the 1260 is new for 2018. The 2017 was still the 1200.

There are plenty of fender eliminator kits for the 1200. The 1200 has tons of aftermarket parts (exhausts, tuners, filters, levers, so on and so forth).

I’m sure somebody will come out with one at some point.

If not, then maybe somebody like Phil will fabricate something.

3. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Done it Triton and RZ350

panthercity and rd400racer like this.
  4. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I ride a lot and yes I’ve rode a friends ktm adventure. Great bike! Actually I’ve yet to ride a bad ADV bike. I’m not a horn tooter in this realm of two wheel venture. Hell no, I’m the crazy guy who either kills the bike first off or I sleep with the mfukr unexpectedly. I love ADV bikes especially the big ones they test me they test my patience they test my will but in the end it’s either a good one or a pos.

I like the new Honda it’s not perfect but it’s a very good shadowy girlfriend. Öhlins added front and rear and this bike becomes real serious and I mean SX off road serious. I literally love the DCT on them. Damn it’s good! I want to hate big red with everyone else but let’s be honest here big red is a force to be watched. They have the power to crush others at will, they just don’t. It ain’t all #93 doing the business there.

As for the triumph tiger, I loved that engine, loved the gearbox, hated my shit dealer! Bike had to go! Bike was fast and handled very good. As for Yamaha in the ADV class I really like Yamaha they make an outstanding motor in just about anything they build. Waited 11 months for a Super Tenere sight unseen I paid up front for. Awesome bike, little on the heavy side but a tank you could not break it. The F700 or what ever they call it now I’ve waited like others for it forever. It’ll eventually get here but I’m afraid it’ll be a ball less bike we have to make great.

cBJr likes this.
  5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I sat on the Honda and liked it. A quality piece of kit. But the tubed tires are a deal breaker for me. Too many bad memories of tubes in the 70's. It's incomprehensible to me that Honda would put tubed tires on their flagship ADV bike.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I did that once...90 miles I think. Ordered the 6 gallon tank the next day :D

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That is why the Multi is the 2 up bike, Evelyne won't ride without a backrest.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dirt guys like tubes better than having to plug a tire.

9. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I totally get that but the Afrika Twin is supposed to be their ADV flagship machine. I'll venture to say way more owners of it are 80/20 street vs dirt than the other way around.

I'm sure that my bias isn't warranted , but it's enough to keep me from buying one.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm with you on the choice but I get why they'd do it, they're presenting it as a true off road machine.

rd400racer likes this.
  11. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Many of the same reasons I loved my old oil-head for 140k miles!

CMRA 270 likes this.
  12. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

What about the baby Multi?

13. precipitous

precipitous Well-Known Member

Nice! What kind of range are you getting now?

14. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I have this dope little SW Motech tank bag. It takes up no space at all, is quick release, and has a bunch of little pockets.

I keep my key fob, wallet, gloves if I’m not wearing them, sunglasses, firearm, earplugs, tire pressure gauge, etc. Basically everything I use regularly or would want to access quickly. I’d honestly be lost without that thing.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not a clue, haven't run out tho :D

16. precipitous

That's such a weird thing to delete a bike over, especially an ADV bike. Absolutely no issues with tubes and I do my own tire changes.

I really like the Africa Twin and was serious about building one up - white/blue red & gold wheels (non-DCT) but then I started contacting dealers and getting all the usual dealer bs tacked on inflated charges and fees from advertised price. Since I don't know anyone at a Honda dealer anymore, I moved on.

17. precipitous

That's better! Wish the 6 gallon tank was compatible with velocity stack kit and/or CA-Cycleworks ever did the slightly smaller tank that would've been.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know I had to put pods on mine but never really worried about more power or the like beyond that.

19. ZimZam

ZimZam Well-Known Member

Gorilla George likes this.
  20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member