1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let’s talk touring bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Just got back from ~2,500 miles in 4 days on my 18 year old, carbureted, 5 speed Road King. 6th or 7th time I’ve done a ride of this nature or longer on that bike, and I’m pretty much over it. I need something more up to the task.

Needs:
    Integrated radio.
    Good wind protection.
    Cruise control.
    Hard bags.

Those are the only absolutes. What say you? Who likes what?

BigBird likes this.
  2. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Get a Wing and call it a day.

3. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

+1, been seeing a lot of the newer ones in the mountains and speaking to the guys riding them. More agile than the last generation and they say even with the smaller tank the fueling is better so you actually end up getting the same mileage. A few of them wish they had the last gen's slightly bigger storage capacity but they say the technology more than makes up for it. Not to mention those LED headlights are bright as f#ck. Pretty sure they cost almost 10k less than Harley's applicable offer as well.

4. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Buddy has a Indian chieftan or something like that and it’s awesome. Rides good, wind protection and after a pipe change and cans, it’ll pull the front wheel in 2nd.

5. Ducati Multistrada.

Seriously, it is by far the best, most versatile, and most enjoyable bike I’ve ever owned.

It is very comfortable. Thursday I rode for 10 straight hours, and was disappointed to arrive at my destination. I wanted to keep going.

But along with that comfort, it is very fast. It pulls HARD...even from low RPMs. It also handles great and changes directions like a sportbike.

But it has all the comforts and gadgets you want. Great ergos, comfortable seat, luggage, wind protection (windscreen is easily adjustable with one hand while riding), cruise control, heated grips, up/down quickshifter, different riding modes, IMU based electronics (TC, WC, Cornering ABS).

Something that can’t be overstated is how great the LED headlights are. It is those super bright and super white lights (like the Bacon), plus it has cornering lights (it uses the IMU and turns on additional lights so you can see into the corner as you lean over). My dad lives in the middle of the country and it was pitch black. That’s the first time I’ve ever been truly comfortable riding unknown country backroads at night.

I’ve been into bikes for about 11 years, and have owned about 20 bikes in that span. They come and go, but the Multi won’t. I have a goal of racking up 100,000 miles on it.

I’d heard all of that stuff from others for years, but I always figured people were exaggerating. But it truly is a great bike. It has that “raw” feeling and grunt of a big Twin, while being refined, solid, and modern.

6. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I love the seating position and character of my KTM Adventure. Have you considered an adventure bike?

7. To be honest, I thought some of the stuff on the Multi was unnecessary, or senseless. And at first, the ergos felt weird coming from pure sportbikes.

I took a little bit of a chance buying and already modding a bike having never sat on one like it. Especially considering i was committed to flying to Pensacola and riding it 1000 miles home. And when I first sat on it, I was like "why are the bars tall and wide like this?". Then I thought "this seat is really big and long". But after riding it for a little bit, it made sense. The bars make the ergos natural and direction changes easy. Your arms just kinda fall where they should. The seat being big and long means you can change your position to give different feelings.

Same thing goes with the windscreen. At first I was like "ive never needed to adjust the windscreen, that's silly". But then when I played with it, I liked it. It also gives you different "feelings" along with the seat.

In other words, I can put the screen at the highest position, sit further back in the seat, and hook my heels on the pegs, and it feels like im on a long distance touring bike. Then when I get to places like Cherohala, I can lower the screen all the way, put the balls of my feet on the pegs, and scoot up in the seat, then it feels like im on a sportbike.

Cruise Control...at first I was like "that's unnecessary, I have cruise control in my wrist". But there were times I was stuck on the interstate for hours and I loved it. It works just like the car. You turn it on, then set it. Then you can press the up or down button and it will increase/decrease 1mph for every push of the button. If you apply either brake, or pull in the clutch, it will disengage. Then just hit "resume" and it goes back. It works flawlessly.

Every preconceived notion I had about something being unnecessary, or maybe uncomfortable, was wrong. After I rode it, it all made sense. They knew what they were doing when they built it.

BigBird likes this.
  8. Oh yeah, one more thing. Don't like all the buttons and menus intimidate you. It is SUPER easy to use. I didn't even look at the manual and had the bike setup for my trip in 5 minutes. It has preset modes with preset setpoints for everything, but then you can adjust everything within the mode.

I also like the "Load Mode" that lets you choose between driver only, driver and luggage, driver and passenger, or driver and passenger with luggage. Then it sets up the suspension accordingly. But again, you can fine tune it from there.

This is how the dash works. It is very self-explanatory (I love how the little bike pops up and shows you what you are doing and how it will affect things).

9. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

Have you considered a Road Glide? I have a 2015 Road Glide Special. It has a great stereo system, nav and cruise control. Comfy ride and easy to do 400-600 mile days. Saddle bags make it easy to carry extra stuff too. The Road Glide has the fairing mounted to the frame, not the handlebars, so it has a really light feel to it.

proprocket28 and SmokeSignalRT like this.
  10. BTW - D&D Cycles in Pensacola has another Multistrada 1260-S on the showroom (white one). :)

Get it.

Seriously.

11. Scotty87

I would absolutely consider a wing. The R6B even looks ‘cool’ for a Wing.

I’d be all over a multi, but I must have an integrated radio. 10 hour days with ear buds sucks fucking ass.

The Indian is interesting, as are the newer H-D offerings. However, I’m really, really, sick of dealing with either numb hands or numb feet depending on RPM. Not sure if it’s a V-Twin thing or just a me thing. I’d probably have to ride one.

12. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Obligatory, get a GS

CMRA 270 and panthercity like this.
  13. Scotty87

That’s exactly what I have wanted for years. I’m getting a little wary of V-twin vibe characteristics tho. That’s probably unfair as I’m basing it off my 20 year old RK.

14. I’ve always done it and never had a problem. I use the “SHURE” earbuds.

But if that is a deal breaker, then do like Mongo and get the speakers that go in your helmet. I have to think they would be/sound better going down the road, rather than trying to hear the radio on the bike over the wind/engine noise.

The Multi has Bluetooth. So you can pair your phone/iPod with the bike, then use the speaker helmets.

(If you do that, you can see the music on the dash and change the song using the left bar controls)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  15. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

You dont need the radio. Blue tooth in helmet speakers is way better. been doing it for years. You can have radio, gps, traffic,coms, ets all in helmet without the need to blast music down the road

badmoon692008 and Gorilla George like this.
  16. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

I haven’t had any issues with vibrations on my 2009 CVO Ultra. We just got back from a week trip around Lake Superior and no issues. Electronic Cruise control ABSOLUTELY helps. No way, no how will I have a long range bike without it again.

I ended up buying a set of SENA 20s and there’s no way in hell I’ll ride with ear buds or just the radio blaring again. They were loud enough to hear music at 80 mph with a fairly loud exhaust. I did end up with a Schuberth lid which has pretty good sound dampening though.

With all that said, I have been looking at bmw GS1200’s. I’m just not sure if I can go down that road yet.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  17. Scotty87

Okay that’s fine then, I’m okay with that. I just hate having dial up a podcast or whatever and then shove my phone in my jacket, and then deal with it for two hours if it sucks or I decide I want music.

I know it sounds petty but when you’re doing ten hour days the little things add up.

18. Scotty87

Hear you man. I have numerous back and neck issues from football and work and my hands get numb fast. I can take the clutch hand off no problem and be good again, but obviously that ain’t going to happen on the throttle side. I am in no way comfortable with a throttle lock so it is what it is. Plus jut trying to maintain a constant speed, especially when riding with others (all my trips) is just another thing that taxes your attention.

19. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

RAM mount x grip. /thread. Bought one for the Superior trip. Changed music the whole time. Opened up google maps / waze as needed. That and the SENA made it tolerable.

Almost every bike I saw on that trip had an x grip on it. From Bonnevilles, to KLRs, to ducs, beemers, HDs, etc

BigBird likes this.
  20. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day