1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lessons Learned

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Gorilla George, May 26, 2011.

1. I thought it would be a good idea to have a single thread where people can pass on lessons they have learned throughout the years so maybe new racers can benefit from the things others have learned.

Here are a few things that I can pass on....

- Start packing early.
    I typically start packing up the trailer several days before I leave home. That gives me time to make sure I have everything I need and have time to go get/order something that I am missing.

- When you are finished packing, take a few minutes and think about going out on the track and make sure you have everything you need.
    Think about what it takes to physically get on the track and get through the weekend and make sure you can put your hands on those items.

Helmet (spare visor and/or a clear visor if you normally use a tinted one)
    Boots
    Gloves
    Suit
    Undersuit
    Armored shorts (if you wear them, which I highly suggest)
    Back/chest protector
    Bike keys (yes, it has happened...)
    Wallet
    Gas jugs
    Water/Gatorade
    Snacks

As long as you have those items, everything else will take care of itself. Obviously there are lots of other things that are handy. But first and foremost you want to make sure you can get on the track.

- Fire up the generator before you leave.
    As part of packing, break out the generator and start it to make sure it is running properly.
    That is a lesson I learned a few weeks ago at Barber. It just so happened that I have been using the track's power all year and hadn't used my generator since the GNF. I completely forgot about it and needed it once I got to Barber and it wouldn't run (bad gas). A lot of aggravation and time could have been saved if I had tested before leaving home.

- After you change tires and get your wheels re-installed, pump up your brakes.
    Nothing worse than heading out on the track, getting to the first braking zone and realizing you have no brakes.

- Have some spares.
    Obviously it would be great to have a spare bike and/or a replacement for every part, but that isn't always feasible. At a minimum, it would be a good idea to have spare clip-ons, levers and rearsets. Those are the items that are typically messed up in a get-off. Going further, it wouldn't hurt to have a spare windscreen, fairing stay and even bodywork if you have room.

Keep in mind that spares can be the stock ones you removed from the bike. They may not be as good as the aftermarket stuff, but they will get you through the weekend. There would be nothing worse than to have a minor lowside in the first practice session and have your weekend end simply because you didn't bring a $75 part.

The WERA paddock is full of all different types of bikes and chances are that somebody will have something you need. But you are much better off coming prepared.

- Leave home and arrive at the track early if possible.
    Nothing is worse than being rushed, especially if it is your first weekend and you aren't really sure what to expect. Having things done ahead of time (pre-entry, bike safety wired etc) will help. But getting to the track early (and setting up the night before if possible) will make things much more relaxed.

The gates are typically open to us around 5-6pm. Some of them close around 10pm and some are open all night. Just keep in mind that at some places (like Barber) the gate may be open all night, but you need a bracelet to get in and they stop selling them around 10pm. Those hours are typical, but it is always a good idea to find out how/when you will be able to get in for each specific event, especially if you will be arriving late.

- Hydrate early.
    You simply cannot wait till the day of the race to start drinking water. You need to start hydrating at least 1-2 days prior to the weekend.

- Do not tie/anchor your canopy to your bike.
    Having a canopy blow over/away in the middle of the night is a bad thing. But having a canopy blow away while dumping your bike over is even worse. There are several things you can work, but buckets of water work good for me. You can bring four, 5gal buckets and then fill them up at the track. Stacking them together won't take up much room and they won't add any extra weight to the trailer. When full, they will each weigh 40lbs and one on each leg should be sufficient.

- Look your bike over thoroughly before going to Tech inspection.
    The mornings are hectic enough already. It sucks to wait in line, finally get up to Tech and then have them point out that you forgot to re-wire your caliper bolts or pinch bolts....then you have to go back to the pit, correct the problem, then go back to Tech...

- Ask questions.
    While it sometimes may seem the beeb is full of assholes and smartasses :D, the WERA paddock is excellent and one of the best family atmospheres you will ever experience. There have been times when my biggest competition was helping me get my wheels mounted or sprockets swapped etc so I could make the race in time. EVERY single person their had their first race weekend at some point. If you have any questions, concerns, doubts or need anything, just ask.

2. nikk777

nikk777 Well-Known Member

3. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

4. Sorry, I didn't search in different forum for a 6 year old thread. :rolleyes:

5. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

All good advice, but this last one is a myth ^. Hydrating the night before is plenty of time. Your body doesn't hold water for more than 8-10 hours before you just pee it out. All you're going to do by upping your fluid intake days in advance is pee more often.

starting the day with a solid 16-24 oz. of water is a good idea every day though. If you've slept 6-8 hours, you haven't hydrated in at least that long.

good resource on hydration in general http://www.elemenja.com/words/ttp_hydration.htm

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Damn newbies.

7. MINDOVERMATTER

MINDOVERMATTER You can't see me

lesson learned :crackup:

8. nikk777

nikk777 Well-Known Member

I wasn't busting balls actually.... I just came across the old thread recently and had posted up some stuff so it was still fresh on my mind.... Some good stuff in the other thread though...along with the typical threadjacking, waste of time BS that we all come here for....

9. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

I learned this past weekend.

Cheaper tires, often end up costing more

Spares are often cheaper than missing races.

I fucked up in both accounts... never again.

10. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Your spares at a minimum should be footpegs, clip-on bars, levers and (if you use them) slider pucks for the frame and forks, along with a roll of ductape to tape up bodywork and/or windscreens if they crack. These are the things that always get jacked up in the minor crashes and can shut your weekend down if you don't have them on hand.

Regarding 'cheap' tires, it comes down to talent. If you're a true hard charger, never skimp on rubber.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  11. drop

drop Well-Known Member

one that i have found myself forgetting to get (i dont have one as i type this) and is a almost must... a freaking small air compressor or small air tank.. AND GAUGE...

ofcourse i have the gauge, but i started at nashville, and everytime i have needed air, i have to ask to have some... i keep on telling myself to get a airtank, but forget to do so, then at barbar, i was in the same freakin perdictament..

i just lost my orange shirt at barber, so im still a dam newb... lol... but im learning.. and talk to people.. ask questions, i have had an absolute blast everytime. the fellowship, is worth its weight in gold.. as are the wera officials.. become familiar with the line up sheet, where they post them, how to personally keep track of such...

jus some of my 2cents

12. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

While some of these things have been lessons learned, others are just things I do in order to minimize surprises which, in turn, reduces overall stress and lets me concentrate more on racing.

--Make a list of everything you will need in order to operate for a race weekend, follow that up by making a list of the items you require in order to live comfortably because you will forget your toothbrush and having "motorcycle mouth" on the grid sucks. Make these lists weeks in advance. You will eventually memorize these items but for now, write it down and keep it safe somewhere.

--Respect your race program. In other words, make sure you, your machine and your gear are operating at 100% at all times. It is for your safety as well as the safety of your competitors. Once-over checks on all items you will use on the race track never hurts. Check the seams of your suit, condition of boots/ gear, safety wire on the bike....check it all after every single use!

--Haste makes waste. It is never a good idea to scramble....ever. Have a plan in mind and stick with it even if that means you grid late. This only serves to add to the safety factor.

--Spares kit. Clip-ons, foot pegs/ bracket assy's, levers, various hardware, sliders, axles, brake pads, brake fluid, windscreen, etc. Imagine your bike being shredded and ask yourself what you will need in order to get it back together.

--Tools. Bring it all. Unless you have the extra cake to burn, how do you plan on repairing your tow vehicle or trailer if it craps out on you?

--Hydrate. Start 2 days in advance. Add potassium as well as vitamin B to your hydration package. Potassium is great for muscle recovery and vitamin B is for increased energy.

--Since your race machine and gear are both already well prepared and ready to rock, do a once-over on the trailer and tow vehicle prior to setting off. Ensure your spare tires for both are inflated to spec. Don't be afraid to check things over at every fuel fill-up or any time you take a break.

--Check the weather and prepare to bring any special items necessary.

--Watch video of the track you are racing on! I cannot tell you how beneficial this has been to me over the years. I typically watch video the night/ evening prior to heading to bed and let my brain sleep on it. I like it to be the last thing I process before I go to sleep...even on tracks I've been to.

13. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

And if you're at the track by yourself, make sure you hook up with someone there that can help you out and know when you are on the track.

14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

the check-off list is key. print it out, laminate it, tie a dry erase or wax marker to it and stick to it...you won't always need everything on the list but, the list should comprise everything you could possibly need. after that is made, the hardest part about packing will have been making the comprehensive list in the first place.

also, you don't need the whole tool cabinet/box. pare it down to the individual tools you'll actually need and the box becomes more manageable. having said that, my top box weighed close to 200lbs. :D

putting yourself in a time crunch will bite you.
    examples:
    - forgot the lower for my bike once because it wasn't mounted when i loaded the bike...not noticed 'til i reached my destination. :rolleyes:
    - bailed during an endurance race once because i wasn't properly fed/hydrated...figured i could pick stuff up on the way, not. :(
    - missing practice. :confused:
    - weather changes...why didn't i make time to swap out the slicks for rains? :eek:

15. +1 on zip-ties and duct tape. While it sounds funny and is often used as a joke...those 2 items can damn sure potentially extend your weekend when it might have been over otherwise.

16. 418

418 Expert #59

:stupid::stupid::stupid::stupid::stupid:

Good thread, good advice. Not just for nOOb's, for everybody.

17. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I'm mounting a big ass clock (magnetic) to the side of my van. It's not always possible to pit near a loud-speaker or hear what the furk's being announced.
    Ya could post race schedule next to clock also.

18. - Bring a radio to keep in your pit.

The races are (usually) announced on an AM station so you can tune your radio to them and hear the calls. Sometimes the speakers at the track aren't loud enough and/or don't reach your pit, so a radio is handy.

19. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

I keep my list in my computer as a Document file and just print one up right before each trip. There are 2-3 lists on file depending on the type of trip. These can be edited at any time as experience/needs dictate. I'll also start a new document immediately after each weekend to list specific one-off things needed to pack for the next trip, such as an item you borrowed from a rider that you promised to replace, etc.

20. fzr400tony

fzr400tony can't ride

Don't forget your toothbrush.