leather suit reviews

Discussion in 'General' started by mdr14, Jul 29, 2010.

1. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

I dropped mine off with Lee at the Road Atlanta regional and he's bringing it back to me at the Barber combined round in September. He can do that because he's actually at the races. :up: And their gloves are the most comfortable gloves I've ever worn, period.

Komodo FTW!!!

2. Kevo

Kevo Well-Known Member

RS Taichi all the way

3. G8rDuc

G8rDuc N00B

Wayne at Trackskinz is always top notch to deal with. Haven't testest his leathers in a crash, but they fit really well and he offers custom fit.

4. Maxrr

Maxrr Well-Known Member

+1 :up: I highly recommend Komodo. Great style, comfort, quality and of course awesome trackside support...and you can't beat their contingency program:)

-Ryan Max Johnson-
    CMRA #646

5. nobody

nobody Well-Known Member

i had a teknic suit once the stitching came off even when i did not crash ( under one year of use ).
    i was very sceptical of getting a komodo suit because you do not see Rossi wearing them, so i called Wayne and we talked about the suit and the amount of work and testing they made on it, so i ordered a K-FX suit. and when you get a suit you do not expect to crash, that thing just happens like a blink of an eye. and i live in a part of the world that only uses spidi ,A*S and Dinese so seeing a komodo suit was very surprising for them.
    i low sided at 110 MPH and that was a long slide and the bike flipped so many times the sub frame was 10ft from the bike. amazingly the suit was ok but the colour changed from the asphalt and the grass.
    the second accident was a hi side at 125+ MPH i was coming out of a fast right turn ( a bike in front of me was leaking oil on the track ) the rear tire hit the oil and the bike slipped then griped and i was flying in the air, the only damage to the suit was that you can not find the word komodo complete on the suit. the most amazing thing is ( beside being OK ) is that it passed the scrutineering with flying colours and still can race with it.
    to be clear i did not have a custom komodo race suit, the suit was of the shelf. i hope to get a custom one in the near future ( when i can afford it ).
    good luck and ride safe.

6. Brian Driver

Brian Driver Well-Known Member

Komodo is the best I've ever had. I have crashed in A*, spidi and tecknic. 2 years ago I had a guy loose control and plow in the back of our endurance bike and run over me. His front tyre went over my chest as I was rolling and then ran over my back. I was wearing the first the first gen fx suit with their kangaroo fx gloves and gp back protector. I'm not gona say I didn't get jacked up but the suit and gloves held up perfect! That was after 4 crashes! I actually got up and walked away from this. The doc at the er said the suit and back protector impressed the hell out of him and the back protector kept me from breaking my back. I'm actually still wearing that suit and after a couple supermoto and mini moto get offs it still together and I'm still wearing it! Wayne and Lee are the best guys to work with hands down! Prices are great and I will not wear another suit. At least until this one needs to retire and then another Komodo suit!

7. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

I've had awesome results with my Spyder Leatherworks suit; it's survived quite a few crashes and brutal abuse. I would kill for her to make me another but she's to busy to make suits because you bozos keep crashing and needing Spyderchick to do repairs.

8. orientexpress11

orientexpress11 Well-Known Member

As said before if you have the cash I'd say get a Taichi suit.

9. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

I can answer that....they crash very well. I found out when I highsided myself into low earth orbit at NJMP, coming out of the chicane on T-Bolt....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. alocker

alocker Well-Known Member

Nice job scuffing in every square inch of that suit. So you think they crash well but would you buy another one?

Thanks for the pics BTW.

11. mattf

I'd buy another one, no doubt.

12. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

A better question.

Do you NEED to buy another one?

13. mdr14

mdr14 What?

I think right now I am not going to look at Pakistani made suits. I have had a custom Rs Taichi suit, That I still have, but am too skinny for. Actualy called Japan direct for that one. Still have my Italian made AGV suit. I have a Pakistani suit now ( don't worry, different manufacturer than the popular brand names people are throwing around) that blows out the stitching both time I crashed. leather is fine. But don't want to risk injury so it is going to be shelved.

Only complaint I ever had about my Taichi was the crappy shoulder armor. Replaced that with some from my good friend at T-Pro.

14. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

I agree. I love my Taichi suit and have seen them go thru hell and back but I think the armour is a bit light......so I took my armour that I got from Barnicle Bill and put it in. Now I have a tank for a suit in my opinion.

15. Brian Driver

Brian Driver Well-Known Member

Actually the suit mfg and where its made dosent relly matter as much as how they are made. I have actually goten to look at a factory A* suit and you couldn't pay me enough to race in that suit. Yes it was light and very well done but it had single nylon stiching and very little glue. They are made to crash once and give back. The cool thing I like about the Komodo suits are they are made VERY robust. For a cow suit they are on par with A* and the other top end suits for their weight and detail. The big thing is the stiching. They are double and triple stiched with anifel stiching. The stiching won't burn and melt like the nylon and they are also glued in all the seams as a backup to the stiching. Since they have been in business I have herd of only one suit coming open and that guy was tangled up with 2 diffrent bikes at the time and all he got was a cut on his leg. The armor took the impact of the footpeg. They are also cheaper than some of the top brand suits. Wear one and crash and you WILL be a beliver.

16. mdr14

mdr14 What?

Where something is manufactured does matter to me. I vote with my check book.

17. erictrainer

erictrainer Well-Known Member

I'm actually surprised no one has mentioned them yet. I owned one and it is a great suit, real nice quality leather. I had a lowside with it and it worked perfectly...nothing more than a couple of scratches. My buddy who has the same suit has survived, highside, low sides, more sides, and it still keeps going. Great suits, great graphics, great prices.

PS (I'm in no way affiliated with them)

Actually can't speak for the Kangaroo, mine was the cowhide Titanium version

18. eboos

eboos Slowski

I've been in my Pilot suit since the beginning of this year. This has been my busiest season yet to date (my wife is not sharing my enthusiasm with that). I haven't crashed in this suit yet, but it has been holding up great with several days in the rain. The leather is soft and comfortible. The fit is excellent.

19. MRARacer

MRARacer Well-Known Member

Have not owned Arlen ness but seen first hand what it can do. My pit mate has taken about 4 hits 3 lowsides one high, all over 70mph and the thing looks bran new. It is the next suit I'm going to buy, has held up a lot better than my a*.

20. mattf

Short answer: No.