1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lawn Fertilizer

Discussion in 'General' started by tony 340, Mar 7, 2021.

1. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I've had every question I've ever had answered here so might as well try.

What's a good liquid lawn spray that whacks dandelions and crabgrass all in one ?

My house has a bigger yard now so can't do pellet fertilizer......wondering if I should just pay one of the pros in town.

2. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

for a contact kill, momentumQ, or Q4plus. I have used both, I prefer Q4plus. spray once when the d lions start showing themselves, and again around 4th of july when crab grass starts showing. your best bet is to use a pre-emergent, to prevent both from coming up at all. Ski

DmanSlam likes this.
  3. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

I have an acre of turf and use pellet style fertilizer.....why can't you??

4. tony 340

Too late for that i already sold my walk behind

Plus I don't want to store it in my way all damn year.

5. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

You mow with a lawn tractor? There are tow-behind spreaders for granular application of weed and feed.
    I've always just used the Scotts color coded stuff. The yellow bag is for dandelions. My soil is such sandy garbage though, that
    I don't put much effort into grass, and I'm on a well, so I'm not interested in running it dry to water my lawn.

6. tony 340

Nah I use a self propelled mower.

I don't want a lawn tractor in my way in the shed/garage all winter....I live on an island and I have no front yard at all just a back yard

I'm looking for some bulk liquid I can mix and hook to garden hose venturi can

7. OldGuyOnBlu

OldGuyOnBlu Well-Known Member

I know this sounds impossible, but I have a local service that puts down fertilizer, broad leaf and crab grass shit on a regular schedule for less the I can buy the stuff for. Get some prices.

8. tony 340

Not a bad idea but I'm an asshole about my lawn.

I actually enjoy maintenance on it.

9. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

I've been in horticulture for 45 yrs and used to maintain SEC college turf.
    Take Ski's advice. He's on the money.
    The product that kills dandelions and spring weeds won't kill crabgrsss but the product he recommended gets both

10. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

11. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Agreed. There are lawn services that can do it cheaper than your out-of-pocket costs. My only issue was their timing. As @skidooboy wrote, pre-emergents work best and are most cost-effective before weeds become a problem. Growth patterns and lawn chemistries (even in parts of the same county) vary. My lawn service was 2-4 weeks late after weed emergence began. That was unacceptable to me.

12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

13. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Lots of things to consider. Pre emergent (before weeds appear) or post emergent (after weeds appear). Selective (certain types of weeds/grasses) or non selective (kills everything). I use Scotts granular, both pre and post, with a push spreader. I also use a 2 gallon sprayer for spot weed killing. I use a product called Tenacity. Its a selective killer, but has a listing of 46 types of weeds it eliminates. Kinda pricey at $70 for 8 ozs. But, its only mixed one teaspoon for 2 gallons so its not too bad. You’ll need a surfactant in the mix also (helps the herbicide stick to the weeds). A colorant/dye is helpful also, lets you see where you’ve sprayed, so you don’t overspray.

14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

My lawn has stuff growing that is mostly green.
    I mow it.
    Looks great from where I sit and is environmentally friendly.

beac83 likes this.