Kids onto dirt bikes - what age?

Discussion in 'General' started by EngineNoO9, Jul 11, 2017.

1. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Don't you put that evil on me Ricky bobby!

renegade17 likes this.
  2. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

My child is -6 months and I've already been thinking about when the PW50 should arrive. This thread makes me so happy. :D

Phl218 likes this.
  3. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Hey, it gave me a chance to make fun of our cultures never ending PC stupidity! :D

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

How many bitcoins is it worth to you that I don't summon my obscure Jedi powers and make your boy take up ballet?

Phl218 and dtalbott like this.
  5. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

I can't get him to sit on my wife's or my bike yet. And he isn't crazy about how loud they are. But, he loves watching motorcycle racing and monster trucks on TV. My brother in law has a race car and he thinks that's the greatest thing in the world too. I'm trying to see about getting him to see some amateur racing soon to maybe spark his interest more. I have no intention of him becoming the next Nicky Hayden or anything but I'd love to be able to enjoy the sport with him and my daughter at some level.

6. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Kristen already jokes that it will either be a girly girl or a boy with a deep passion for competitive cheerleading, I don't need your bad voodoo too.

HPPT likes this.
  7. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Most boys have a deep passion for cheerleaders, at least for a few years.
    I hope yours does, just to make your wife happy.

8. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Christopher asked at 7. Quickly lost interest.

Joey asked for an ATV at 9. Got a Yamaha YFM80 that he still rides. Wants something bigger.

Nathan at 7 asked for Joey's ATV.

None ride much or often. Not much area to ride.

9. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Having friends and siblings with kids I've seen that what you expose them to greatly impacts interests. My son is my oldest so he got lots of trucks and real stereotypical boy toys. He can make almost every construction truck and loves to build things with his blocks and Legos. He also loves playing outside and is a maniac with everything he does. We also limit his TV (we don't have cable) as we prefer him to not melt his brain. My daughter loves her dolls but loves doing everything with her brother. So almost guaranteed she'll love more boyish things from how's influence.

My siblings both had 2 girls before having a boy. Those boys have been exposed to lots of dress up and dolls thanks to having older sisters. They have trucks and stuff but they aren't as maniacal about them as my son.

On the extreme send of things, my wife has a friend who owns a dance studio. Her little boy is already starting dance with his older sister.....

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    BigBird likes this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

kids are definitely malleable and influenced by their surrounding.

11. backbone

backbone scarred for life

I got my son a JR50 for his 3rd birthday. He couldn't ride a bike yet because he was too light to get it going. He took off on the JR right away without training wheels. I don't believe in teaching them with training wheels because they will learn counter steering without even knowing it without them.

12. Phl218

Phl218 .

my 2 yo is pushing his stryder around currently, not flying yet...

he gets seat time in my lap on the 450 in the backyard, he can't get enough of it. of the few things he says his most used one is "wroaaarr" for errthang motorcycle.

i am currently looking for a 50 , while his gear (helmet, neck brace, etc. ) is coming in.

no pressure though :crackup:

masshole and BigBird like this.
  13. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

The baby Strider to match daddy's, she's too young for it but I couldn't wait :D

IMG_3707.jpg

20170620_162154_resized.jpg

Phl218 likes this.
  14. dtalbott

How old is she?

15. flyingpig70

flyingpig70 Well-Known Member

my riding buddy, started on a PW and is now on a KTM

FullSizeRender.jpg.jpeg

Screen Shot 2017-07-21 at 3.58.59 PM.png

masshole and Phl218 like this.
  16. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Kris was always around racecars as a early child, at around two he would use new chassis at the shop as monkey bars.... had a little plastic three wheeler push toy he would slide into the shop out of the parking lot sideways and just giggle. At 2 1/2 he started riding a small bicycle without training wheels. Got a LT50 about that time too and was riding it constantly soon after. At about three and a half I bought him a JR50 and he rode it every chance he had. A few months later we built him a race cart for Christmas.... he had little interest in it. He would sit in the middle of the back yard doing donuts and the inside front wheel would never move. Always wanted on the motorcycle. He had REALLY good balance and was a natural on a bicycle or motorcycle. Rode his first race before he was 4...
    When he turned six I quit racing cars so we could let him race Motocross then later on Roadrace. Kinda wish he had taken to the Karts instead... Maybe the grandson will, he loves being in the racecar.

Oh yeah, Stryders are gay. Get them a real bicycle with pedals where they can work on riding a real bike.

17. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Striders are awesome for little kids.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

18. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

She turned 1 a week ago but she's always up and walking- I may not wait until she's 18 months old.

19. dtalbott

If she's walking, she's ready for the Strider.

masshole likes this.
  20. RTD

RTD Well-Known Member

I had 50's on training wheels available for both of my kids by about 3, neither could actually ride it themselves, but they liked the idea of it, by 4-1/2 they rode a ton with training wheels and by 5 were off training wheels and begging to ride. By contrast my nephew has never been around bikes, I put him on one of my 50's at 6 and he took to it like a duck to water and completely skipped the training wheel stage and is a great little rider.