Kawasaki triples

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by rotax454, Mar 7, 2018.

1. rotax454

rotax454 Well-Known Member

Any Kawasaki H1, H2 triple owners on here? Giving some thought as to getting my old WERA 500 superbike back to the track.

2. charles

charles The Transporter

Ah, yes, of course we have a resident 'Kawi Triples' owner and rider: Jim Hinshaw…he knows a thing or two about triples.

3. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

Somebody yanking my crank?

4. charles

charles The Transporter

Apparently, there is another 2-stroke nutter (see above) who wants in on the triples insanity...

5. rotax454

Hello fellow 2 stroke triple nutters. Greeting from a WERA racer from the 70-80's. I still have my H1 superbike. Been stored in my basement for years. I have some pics from Grattan, Road America and Indianapolis Raceway Park. Been giving some thoughts on getting the H1 running again and doing some vintage events.

Shenanigans likes this.
  6. rotax454

What triples do you guys have? Kawasaki - Suzuki?

7. charles

charles The Transporter

Jim has the Kawi triples, he will tell you the truth…years ago I had a Zegers TC500 triple (1980 style) but had ignition and leaky cylinder problems…just couldn't get it running properly, sold to a collector in England...

8. charles

charles The Transporter

Send pics or it didn't happen…don't think too much about yourself and the bike, lest you talk yourself out of it…crank it up and come on out smokin'...

9. KawH1R

KawH1R Well-Known Member

Been known to ride a Kawi triple now and again.....

Harry V. III likes this.
  10. charles

charles The Transporter

Yes you have! Spill the beans on triples for 'rotax454' above! It's all about the action, boss.

11. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Noisy, smelly, wobbly, very green . . . what else does one need to know?

Cheers,

Dave

12. KawH1R

KawH1R Well-Known Member

Yes, and your point?

13. charles

charles The Transporter

Dave, now have some civility here…"smelly, wobbly" that is oh so 1970-ish…where could this impression come from? Not to cast stones, but at least we 2-stroke types don't have to adjust tappets or primary chains…I hope this brief verbal reprimand will serve its purpose to tamp down your long-standing angst with the universally respected 2-stroke.

14. Harry V. III

Harry V. III Well-Known Member

Like you have never been like that ?!

15. uswjmc22

uswjmc22 Obfusc8

Jim, was looking for you at GNF last November, sorry didn't see you, was looking forward to seeing you in action out there

16. KawH1R

KawH1R Well-Known Member

You tell'em Harry!

17. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Noisy? I argue for a living. Those opposite me may contend it is just a lot of noise, but that is because they refuse to acknowledge the legitimacy of my assertions. In essence, they resort to argumentum ad hominum. If it is the BSA to which you refer in this regard, the clatter of tappets, the whirring of gears, and the thump of a single large piston, while technically noise, is actually music of the most delectable type, which apparently is lost on 2 stroke heathens. In contrast, I have often seen multitudes plugging their ears with fingers whenever a 2 stroke is started up and the owner insists upon cyclicly revving the bejusus out of the engine all under the guise of "warming it up." Talk about offensive . . . .

Smelly? This requires further clarification. Me? Or the BSA? If it is me to which the reference is made, I admit I am human. And, consistent with being human, I look, and smell, and sound like a human. What is wrong with that? Which of you will cast stones in such situation? As for the BSA, it has been known to, from time to time, emit somewhat curious odors. These most often occur when I have opted for less than optimal jetting, i.e., exceptionally lean conditions. The odor most often associated with such condition is a somewhat hot or burnt smell. And, while I may find such smell to be, umm, disturbing, that, however, is not nearly as offensive as the noxious fog and environmentally depleting clouds of smoke accompanying what 2 stroke afficiandos contend is a properly running 2 stroke. A triple simply makes more of said offensive fumes. I don't recall hordes of folks lining up behind Kawi triples in the pits and breathing deeply . . . .

Green? Only after a particularly long or rough night. But, certainly well earned in such circumstance. :timeforabeer:

Cheers,

Dave

18. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Wobbly, I forgot wobbly.

Me . . . ? Yeah, the knees ain't what they used to be, and neither is my balance as a recent trials effort revealed. As for the BSA, Ted Hubbard used to say it was the best handling moto around - if it wobbled, something was broken. And after 20 years, I must agree with him - the B50, despite its detractors, is a fine handling moto, within its realm. I seem to recall, however, many a publication back in the day proclaiming 2 things about Kawi triples: (1) they were God-awful fast in acceleration; and (2) they handled like shit - I think many a moto-journalist had a tale regarding a near death experience aboard a Kawi triple. Jus' sayin' . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

19. Harry V. III

Harry V. III Well-Known Member

Oh Dave, such a verbose reply to a simple statement. I would never insult or question the BSA.

20. KawH1R

KawH1R Well-Known Member

Don't worry Harry, you get use to it after a while.....