1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JenningsGP DEC. 29, 30, 31

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by HD1911, Dec 16, 2007.

1. HD1911

HD1911 Johnny Rocket

Anyone gonna be there? I hope it's not too late for me to sign up! I plan on calling tomorrow morning and reserving a spot for the weekend. Looking to do my first ever trackday!!!

Any advice (hold the noob bashing) would be appreciated! :)

2. georgiadawg

georgiadawg Elbows Out

have fun and don't crash....Your not going to set the track record so don't even try.

3. gix

gix jigga who?

go over to http://www.jenningsgp.com/forum
    there are many people there that will gladly help you. read the post on how they run the day for new riders. It will give you the low down. Talk to SpeedyTide and Pitboy...im sure they will hold you hand and make sure you are safe.

4. HD1911

HD1911 Johnny Rocket

Haha i know, i see the record is like 1:14 set by Geoff May. I have also done my research and know that 1:30s or faster @ Jennings is considered EXPERT. I not going for fun, strictly for business, to get faster and get my feet wet, so that when i race WERA Novice this year, i can feel comfortable and do well. Thanks bro!

Yeah man, i actually joined on there 2 days ago! So SpeedyTide and Pitboy huh? Are they Control riders or something?

5. gix

gix jigga who?

yea they are instructors/control riders

6. PitBoy

PitBoy Well-Known Member

Yeah, dont sweat it, we are there to help and will pull you around at a pace you are comfortable with. We will follow you for a few laps and see how you are doing, then we'll pull you in go over a few changes and then pull you around behind us. As you skill level increases and confidence increases we will get faster and thus so will you. Dont expect anything your first time out besides taking your bike and yourself back home in the same shape you arrived in.

7. HD1911

HD1911 Johnny Rocket

That sounds cool, how long does it usually take to learn/get comfortable with the Race line?

Are you gonna be there then? (dec. 29-31)

8. gix

gix jigga who?

the learning curve is different for everyone.. ive seen people never get out off novice..ive also seen people bump to expert the first day

9. HD1911

HD1911 Johnny Rocket

Cool man. Who can i ask to help me setup my suspension for that track? I have no clue where my clickers should be set at, and the ride height etc.

10. gix

gix jigga who?

that i cant answer. you will have to ask pitboy. im in california now. i used to be an instructor there but i havent been there since july so im not sure whos around. hooters suzuki used to be out there every track day...but i have heard they are no longer doing that. Pitboy? some insight please =)

11. 418

418 Expert #59

Your first ever trackday you don't need to be worrying about your suspension.

Especially on something like a brand new R1.

12. GBAUTO

GBAUTO Well-Known Member

i'll be there on the 31st. i think that the biggest thing to work on will be throttle control on the liter bike-jennings has some tight turns that are notorious for spitting ham fisted riders off. as far as what to expect...jennings in late december could freezing or summer like, bone dry or monsoon wet(in my best forrest gump voice)-jennings is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get...best advice would be to learn the track and the bike and proceed from there-have fun.

13. HD1911

HD1911 Johnny Rocket

Cool guys, I appreciate the insight.

418- I am worried about the suspension, especially the rear for low speeds, i want the rear to hook up and dig in, something it hasn't been doing.

*I am not really new to riding, just never been on a track before. For all i know, i might be the most Squid out there, who knows? But i do plan on taking Trackdays and WERA Racing very seriously. This is my life. It's what i live for. Everything else is second (except for God).

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  14. 418

418 Expert #59

Well, I'll tell you right now a R1 is going to be hard work around Jennings. My '03 surely was.

I would leave the suspension damping stock and just set up the pre-load yourself. Then if you're not happy with that, go to a suspension expert.

Also tires is a big deal here. I hope you have a brand new set of trackday tires ready. Anything with that much power will go through rear tires like crazy.

15. PitBoy

PitBoy Well-Known Member

Like 418 said, your suspension is fine the way it is. I know guys on stock GSXR's doing in the low 20's (blackbeener) out there without an issue. What you want to do is just start learning the track. I know you are eager but I will tell you, I've ridden there every track day for a year and still am learning better and faster lines around the track. Just make sure you come out there with good rubber (preferably new rubber) and thats about it. My opinion, is get a set of Pirelli Super Corsa's. I know we are going to hear a lot of debate about different tire brands but the fact is most people agree that the Pirelli's are the most predictable, especially for a new person who isn't sure what it feels like to slide. They will give you warning when you are pushing them too hard where michelins dont. Enjoy yourself, and look me up. I will be there both sat and sun and will be located in the VIP section next to the track shop. If you go ahead and introduce yourself I will make sure we spend some time on the track and get you comfortable with everything. You'll love it, and take your time with the racing. Its a whole different ballgame when there are other riders actually trying to keep you from passing and you're playing chicken coming into turn 1. Learn the track, get some seat time and race when you are comfortable.

16. HD1911

HD1911 Johnny Rocket

Alrite guys, good info. Lets talk tires, i Have a used set of Pirelli Diablo Supercorsas being GIVEN to me (120 & 190/55) for this trackday we speak of...will this work? I have been running on 190/50 2CT's for quite some time, and the R1 will get kinda sketchy with these (more so the rear than the front). I have only done very aggressive street riding so far, and these tires have not been sticky enough. They, along with my R1, have taught me valuable throttle control! I have experienced plenty of times, the rear end stepping out (kinda fun sometimes/totally scary other times lol)

I guess what I'm worried about, is having my clickers set all wrong, running a taller tire in the rear, and have never run Pirelli DiabloSupercorsa's (or any DOT tire).

And when you guys say preload height or whatever...is that the same thing as Rider/Race Sag in Motocross? Because my Shock only has 1-9 clicks having to do with the firmess (preload) of the shock. Are we talking moving the forks up through the triple clamps or what?

***Pitboy, my name is John. I guarantee you that 'YOU' will be the first person i look for when im there. I'd like to swap numbers and talk to you on the phone sometime before then if thats cool.

Thanks for everything guys, sorry if im talking your heads off, but this is how i learn, i guess. I ask a shitload of questions.

This Forum is the best i have ever been on. All those other Yamaha this&that forums are mostly about getting attention and looking cool and stuff. I can actually learn shit on here from dudes who aren't posers

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  17. El Skwid!

El Skwid! Old guy, old bikes

You could jump over to sportrider.com or the like for suggested suspension settings.
    If you have no idea of what does what, set the clickers in the middle, i.e. 5 of 1-9.
    Do a search for 'sag' & find several 'how-to's'.
    You'll be too busy to worry about suspension settings.

18. PitBoy

PitBoy Well-Known Member

The tires you get depending on the life of them should be fine. Also, Leon will be at the track that weekend I believe. He is the Southeast Pirelli Vendor and can hook you up with some additional tires if you need some. Feel free to give me a call if you like but we'll cover everything you need to know in our riders meeting at Jennings and then starts the 1 on 1. Take is slow and try to work on one thing at a time and you'll have a blast. (863)660-6628 is my cell. I run my own business so I am in and out of meetings throughout the day, if I dont answer right away leave a message and I will get back with you.

Take care, see you at the track.
    Ben

19. HD1911

HD1911 Johnny Rocket

^^^Thanks Ben!

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?