1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issues flipping Dunlop front tire slick?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Quick6RR, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Quick6RR

Quick6RR Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone has had any issues flipping a Dunlop slick front tire (120/70 KR448, 7455 medium compound)?

I flipped my front, which has still has plenty of life but after reading around on the forums some people say it’s fine while others disagree. Dunlop does not advertise this tire as being bi-directional like the rears.

Thanks

2. PPPope

PPPope Well-Known Member

I’ve flipped every brand of rear with never a problem.

In 14 years I’ve never flipped a front.

3. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

I have in the past but stopped doing so now.
    With Some GSXR’s and Kawi’s all you had to do was turn the wheel around.
    But I gave up that practice for just getting a new tire now.

4. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

back in your cave, lurker.

5. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I had a Q2(?) rear start to separate at the mold seam when flipped. I assume the force reversal was the culprit.

I would assume braking force is just as harsh, but more biased to the center of the tire rather than the edges (at least at my skill level...)

seems like something you could monitor and see gradually before it failed.

i would try it...

6. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

I have always flipped my Dunlop slicks both front and rear without issue, ever!

track wagon, Ducti89 and drop like this.
  7. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

A tire vendor accidentally mounted one backwards for me at a trackday. It felt weird. The feedback was different, especially when braking with lean. I came in after 2 laps thinking something was wrong and found the tire that way. Flipped it the right way and everything was back to normal. Would not try again.

8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Tires don't have a mold seam, but in a conventionally built tire there is a tread splice/seam and that may be what you are describing.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  9. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Flipped Dunlop rears, never a front. By the time the rear was cooked(after the flip), it's usually time for a new front anyhow.

10. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

probably. It was over 8 years ago, so it’s hard to recall.

11. dammyneckhurts

dammyneckhurts Well-Known Member

I have flipped Dunlop front slicks many times, I was not able to feel any difference

Gixxerguy855 likes this.
  12. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

tempted to flip my supermoto metzeler slick front since it got pretty torn up last time out at the track on the right side, last night i cleaned it up alot but still i need the good tire on the right side lol.