1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Isle of Man TT | 2023

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, May 29, 2023.

1. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Did you forget to say hello to the fairies?

2. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

It was indeed a huge wtf. I went 174mph down the back side of Crosby last year, on a '19 ZX-6R.. and went 182mph in the same place on a '23 S1K. +80hp should've gotten me more than 8mph :eek:

We built what we thought would be guns for a knife fight, and instead brought knives to a gunfight. Can't really figure it out tbh. Been poring over logged data all week trying to find some indication of why the bikes were so slow. They'd get up to 180mph in the blink of an eye, but then would go no faster. No indication of a limiter kicking in or anything, fueling seems spot-on according to lambda readings, etc. If anyone's a data analysis expert, hit me up.

Senna likes this.
  3. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

haha, no, definitely not. they're why i didn't get hurt :beer:

4. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

They were slowing you down to keep you from getting hurt. :Poke:

5. Critter

Critter Registered

So I have started racing Trophy Truck Spec out here, and we have to run a 525 HP LS3 and when that truck gets to 98 MPH is stops dead....The older truck I had would run up to 115 all day long...

We are looking at the aero of the truck right now and I am saying that has a large part to do with it...The new truck is horrible... I say all this because at the IOMTT aero is everything..Could you have something odd going on there that you do not know about? Windscreen maybe just a little too short for you? if the dyno is right, and your speed through the corner you are exiting is right, then you need to look at aero..

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Told you to take a Gixxer. :D

7. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

182 sounds close enough to the 186 mph speed limiter a stock bike would have where it may be the issue?

Just throwing ideas out there.

8. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

How was the elevation/air/humidity/barometric pressure ?

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Did you check the airbox for snakes?

Rising and Robin172 like this.
  10. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

Amount of power needed to gain speed in that range is very difficult. I would also agree that something with the aero was a big factor.
    Brad Binder did 227 last weekend. Unbelievable. At this point, I think the aero is more important than overall HP on GP bikes.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ze Germans know what is best for you!

12. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Does the data allow you to see if the throttle bodies are opening all the way in 6th gear?

13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

14. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

JFC....
    :eek:

5axis and Triple X like this.
  15. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

Speachless

16. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I think I figured it out.. I built an "Effective Acceleration HP" math channel in MoTeC using just acceleration, mass, aero, etc. Zeroed in on the aero coefficient by going up and down until the calculated mass value stayed constant on flat sections (I didn't model altitude-based potential energy, so climbs wouldn't be accurate).

Turns out the bike was only delivering about 160, sometimes 170hp.

Dug into other data to figure out why, and I think I was basically TC-fucking myself. The values the bike reports for "delivered torque" match almost perfectly the values for "dtc torque target" and "dtc limit via ignition retard". Everywhere, even on the straights. So, my hunch is that we had something mis-calibrated (tires? weight? linkages? so many things to configure) and the bike was basically always running traction management, and I never noticed because it implemented TC via ignition timing rather than ignition cut.

Basically I built an extremely nice and very expensive brand-new S1000RR... and then raced a 750.

[​IMG]

Oh well, now that I know what the problem was I should at least be able to sleep. After about fourteen whiskeys.

Triple X, 418 and HPPT like this.
  17. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

this photo was actually from last year! i remember seeing it and shitting myself. but, there's no way he wasn't doing that this year as well. TAS told us that his superbike motor made 263hp.. they said that was the first time he's ever asked them to turn the power down.

Banditracer likes this.
  18. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

all that stuff looked perfectly normal, which is what was giving me fits. 100% throttle, no problems with fuel pressure or ambient air or etc. a speed limiter we'd have seen ignition cutout, plus with the gearing we were running it'd have kicked in at about 165ish (we were much taller than stock)

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

19. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

MAVTV starts their coverage with a preview show today at 12 noon (eastern)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
  20. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

DOH! I was looking at yesterday's schedule.