Is the writing on the wall for the E class?

Discussion in 'General' started by mmfoor, Feb 11, 2014.

1. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Sorry, I look more at sales than I do performance.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh yeah, not dissing you at all for being a fanboi :D

Kawasaki in all reality has done well with the bumps, the 636 is a great torquey street bike and is more fun for me at least on the street than a 600. Not sure on the 300 but my guess is it's something to do with Euro cc limits for riders. The Ninja 1200 isn't a traditional Ninja, it's a Hyabusa and a totally different market than the ZX10 which is their GSXR/CBR/R1 1k bike. Honda and Yamaha don't make anything for that market segment.

As with all companies, it's market driven. Of course it's somewhat based on what all of the other companies are doing and what they think will help them outsell the other companies.

3. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Who are you?

:Poke:

Spree and the XR100 make fine pitbikes.

I am relaxed.

And stop calling me Francis.

:D

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No need for thought on this one, it goes against everything we've ever done with Superstock rules since long before I ever worked for WERA. Not to mention it's contingency fraud if they're paying on the 300 to push sales for those and you're running a hybrid. The contingency wouldn't even be in E for a 300 since it's not legal for the class.

All in all nothing in that plan would ever work even if the other riders didn't care. So yeah, no thought needed.

5. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Agree totally.

My Honda and (back then) Yamaha reps always told me to forget the 650cc V-twin sportbikes, as both considered them "niche" markets, not big enough to move in to. Same with the 250cc's. I'm glad to see Honda going back to the small stuff, and I wish they (and Kawasaki) would stick with the 250cc. The 250cc seems to be a great, fun ride at a great price. Continuing to increase engine sizes will just up the price.

6. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

Oh sure, use logic and experience to shoot me down! :Poke:

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well after the reaction my short answer got I figured I'd better explain it :D

8. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

Thanks for taking the time, we were just trying to stay in the 250 class. Oh, if your at Tally, can you explain to Ed, why I'm buying a 600 next season? :D

9. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

a new triumph 250????? the search begins..........

10. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

And if we all ran our SVs that class would out-class the 2-fiddies!!! I mean 300s........:D

Hey thanks for the love, YO! I don't have any $$$ to troll anyhoo; just wanted to wake you up from the ice and snow and such!

Hey, forgot to get you the info you asked for; tomorrow!!!

11. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Draik's got an SV to get into the mix too.

12. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

I'm just saying all us closet SVers need to get back out there and give Draik some company!
    I think he will love it dad; more power but not too much yet.

13. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I have brought this idea up to friends more than once, but I'd love to see an UNOFFICIAL spec ninja 250 class. Just ride in the "E" class, but track points for the unofficial series separately.

The idea would be to keep things affordable and even by only allowing the most basic modifications. Limit it to first generation 250's with 16" wheels (basically making the BT45 the spec tire), and only allow:

- springs (fork and shock)
    - brake lines
    - case covers
    - any body work you want.

And that's it. Require the full stock exhaust, stock airbox, even stock rearsets. It's not like they're expensive to replace, and the EX500 shift lever is a direct swap for GP shift. I'd entertain other modifications to make the bikes more crash-worthy as well (e.g. clip-ons), but it should be essentially stock. Hell, I think running without bodywork should get people an automatic stop on the front row of the grid! :crackup:

I would have a fleet of these bikes if I ever hit the lottery. Then I'd just show up with a trailer full on race weekends and everyone could pull numbers out of a hat to determine who is on which bike for the weekend.