1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is A. Gobert still alive?

Discussion in 'General' started by dylanes21, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Glad he can rest easy.

HPPT and 418 like this.
  2. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Kip Winger was the front man for the band Winger. "Headed for a heart brake and Miles Away"
    Warrant sang Cherry Pie.
    Firehouse - "Don't treatme bad, Love of a lifetime" etc..

Yall's hair band knowledge is disappointing cause I know all of you had a mullet at some point :D

CharlieY, cpettit, stk0308 and 3 others like this.
  3. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

At the time, he was the youngest WSBK race winner so he didn’t “waste” his talent. Rip racer.

4. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Maybe squandered his talent due to drug use is a better turn of phrase?

I can't believe he was only 48. He looked at least 60 in the video.

Glad he's at peace and his mother can start to heal and find her own peace. Any statement from Aaron, or is he MIA as well? I don't know his history as much.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
  5. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

calm down karen...was he good when he was racing? Yes. Whats in question is...what could he have achieved had he left the drugs alone? Dude wasted a ton and left a lot on the table due to his partying and drug use. AND, he's dead at 48 looking like he was 75. Don't do drugs kids.

6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

RIP Racer......thanks for the memories.

7. 418

418 Expert #59

RIP

If rumors were anywhere near truth, reporterly Kawasaki paid him a cool $1M to compete on the ZX7RR back in 1996.

IIRC he said the preseason bike was the fastest thing he had ever ridden, when he showed up for the first round the bike was a turd. Think somebody insinuated on here that the bike he actually tested was probably a Raptor 850. I think that's the same year Muzzy got caught with gear driven cams at Daytona?

It's hard not to agree that this was the Golden age of superbike racing.

8. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I'm not minimizing the impacts of addiction, particularly on the family of those that are addicted. But 'leaving a lot on the table'....it's all in how you choose to view life. You could live a safe life, and never take risks, and live to be 100. To me, that's leaving a lot on the table.

backbone and Jon Bawden like this.
  9. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Both..

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

This would be a lot easier to process if he had just been an all-around asshole.

Shut up, who said anything about Forgarty or Mladin? I'm just saying he was a nice guy.

AJ, scottn, 418 and 2 others like this.
  11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

what? First you said he was an asshole and then he was a nice guy. What am I missing?

12. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

+ 1

13. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Mat had some supportive things to say about Gobert’s struggles recently including explaining the trauma that drove him to extremes.

gixer1100 likes this.
  14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Shit, the "if" didn't make it to the screen. :oops:

15. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Maybe it was an "implied" if....

16. Letitsnow

Letitsnow Well-Known Member

RIP A Gobert.

Some live fast and make fast choices. Some live slow and know everything, but nobody cares.

backbone likes this.
  17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Gotcha. Was looking for the quote your were replying to to put everything in context. Cool beans, dude.

I’m sad he is dead and even more depressed about his last few years and crushed for his family and friends.

Not going to now and because of his death, never going to air the negatives I saw and heard about him. Better to let the positives live on about him.
    RIP ya’ insane mother trucker. You were once in a lifetime racer.

AJ likes this.
  18. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

I'll always remember that last World Superbike win, at Philip Island, in atrocious conditions, on the Bimota. I don't know it's really true, but what a missed opportunity that Levi Strauss backed out of sponsoring them. Could have been an interesting development. That Suzuki TL motor in a Bimota frame, with The Go-Show piloting it. It's also a shame that the "famous" picture of that combo is him high-siding it, instead of taking the winning checkers.

19. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

I got a bunch of posters at Laguna Seca in '98 and '99. Somehow they survived several military moves unframed and made it home at the end of my enlistment.

[​IMG]

AJ, Nathey, Razr and 5 others like this.
  20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I know he had his issues but no one consistently treats random fans the way he did unless they are a nice person at their core. I mean, shit, I know folks mad at Nicky Hayden for blowing them off. :) I've never read/heard a bad word about Gobert from a fan who met him at the track.

AJ, cha0s#242, SirCrashAlot and 3 others like this.