1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet and TV options, not AT&T

Discussion in 'General' started by JCW, Jun 1, 2022.

1. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

So, AT&T gave me the boot because of copyright infringement violations. It's funny because I thought I took care of things (teenagers) and hadn't gotten a notice in a year.
    Now out of the blue without warning they removed my internet plan. No notices or anything. Just no internet one day and an email saying congrats on your new plan from AT&T. I called the help line and was informed the internet was removed because of copyright infringement violations.

Anyway... I know someone did something wrong so I'll take responsibility. And I was paying through the nose for 199 channels I never watched anyway just to catch a little motogp and Cubs baseball.

I'll let the kids stew without internet for a week, but eventually I'll need to get internet and tv.
    Looking for guidance from the wise beeb...

Google searching this is like trying to figure out what STD you've got...

2. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

JCW likes this.
  3. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

I've heard of youtube videos being removed for copyright infringement. How does one get the entire internet cut?
    I've heard a lot of people using roku for tv but that seems only as a way for paid streaming services ... pretty sure u cant just do that with a smart tv now.
    and digital antennas. here is how u find the channels on those for ur area https://www.channelmaster.com/pages/free-tv-channels

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

How old are the kids?

5. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

13, 15

6. Venom51

Time to have a talk with someone. You are however supposed to receive notice of the violation before they disconnect you.

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

there is so much "free" content on a $25 roku its nuts but it does require speedy internet.
    High speed internet in N FL is <$50/month all in. Total cost for 12 different services of streaming is <$80 per month. Some were bought as a discounted new year special.
    Then there is the whole "free trial" game you can play if you dont want to commit to a contract.

8. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

My previous internet/cable Verizon bill crept its way up to almost $160/mo. before I cut the cord. We generally don't give a shit about tv, its just background most times.

Now I have a Roku and Verizon Fios. We have a dude's Plex server that uploads a ton of movies and shows, we're "borrowing" a Hulu and Netflix from family, and my girl pays the $6/mo. or whatever for Discovery+. With my work discount, the auto-pay discount, and now me turning in the "rented" router for one my friend gave me, my Fios now costs me a whopping $32/mo.

I'm content.

9. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Running Torrents of copyrighted material will do it.

Robin172 and BigBird like this.
  10. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Downloading movies, shows and games. While you are downloading you are sharing it at the same time.
    It's not ATT that looks for them. A complaint is filed to ATT by people working for the copyright holder that monitor the downloading activity. They see the IP addresses then submit to ATT a complaint that an IP address belonging to them is participating in this activity. ATT say they do not give names or identities out unless ordered to do so by court. But I can see how they are forced to kick people out to show they are acting in good faith... too bad I've been with them for probably 10+years! Yikes.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
    BigBird likes this.
  11. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

I remember using napster, bearshare, and lime wire as a teen... I got the music, transferred it to a different file, and canceled any upload in the process lol... I guess I got lucky back in the early 2000s when you could type blink 183 (not 2) and find some shit.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  12. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

13. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Next time, VPN

14. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I would guess they don't really care about the folks downloading copyrighted material. They will come after you for hosting it for sure. Your kids should not be messing with that. Get a router / set up where you can monitor and control your kid's device's access. If you see massive uploads from a device shut it down because that means they are hosting material (again). You can also shut them down when it is bedtime, dinner time, or schoolwork time.

As stated above, what to get depends on what is available where you live. No FIOS for me, so my options are Wireless or Comcast. Comcast is pricey, but the service is reliable and fast. With two of us working from home, including video calls, it is worth it.

15. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I'm stuck with comcast for internet thats faster than 5mb, and pay $60/mo for 600mb now... have to call every 12 months but I've kept it $60/mo for about 10 years now LOL

We use Rokus and have a hulu live subscription (live local channels plus 60 or so other live channels like you'd get on cable) which now includes disney+ and espn+... with the Roku you can also watch tons of other free content. PlutoTV has some good stuff sometimes, more old school stuff, but lots and lots of movies. All free...

JCW likes this.
  16. BigBird

BigBird blah

FiOS FTW...nothing else compares

17. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Looks like Comcast cable for me... at least for a couple years.
    I'd like to get fiber but so far not available from Verizon, Comcast, google...

18. Venom51

I like how you guys are making suggestions like all the ISPs offer their services in every market. He's at most 3 possible choices. A local regional ISP, whatever big corporate sudo monopoly covers his area and maybe a SAT provider. If you are lucky enough to have actual competition in your area consider yourself a fucking unicorn.

19. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Pretty much this.

Starlink hasn't been explicitly mentioned yet.

20. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Im stuck with xfinity right now, but Verizon Fios does hit part of my area, and Glo Fiber is coming to my street in the not too distant future, thats where Im headed as soon as they get here.

JCW likes this.