1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting......

Discussion in 'General' started by RobeyRacer, Apr 22, 2003.

1. RobeyRacer

RobeyRacer Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 22, 2003
  2. JurgenW

JurgenW Well-Known Member

as far as I read (2wf.com), the 250-330 two-strokes are becoming part of the completely revised Formula Xtreme class.

3. RobeyRacer

RobeyRacer Well-Known Member

4. yz250mike

yz250mike Eric Cartman is my idol

Overall I like the new rules.

1) FX - finally a "600cc superbike class". Can you imagine 600cc with unlimited mods and running slicks? Also 250cc 2-strokes, which are allowed to bored out to 330cc, will be racing along side the 600 I4's.

2) Superbike - Not want I wanted to see, from the article it looks like 1000cc inline 4's will have more restrictions. I say let the 1000 I-4's have unlimited mods.

3) Superstock - awesome. finally a "1000cc Supersport class." Getting bored of seeing GSXR 750's... lets see what "stock" R1's, CBr954's, and GSXR1000 can do.

4) Supersport - 600cc Supersprt. No rule changes. Has always been my favorite class, why change a good thing?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2003
  5. SonicDuck

SonicDuck Flying Feather Duster

Sounds like FX is going to be the rebirth of the old Formula USA...erm, uhhh...well, formula ;)...As in back in the days with Rich Oliver on the TZ250 vs Fritz Kling on the Yamamonster.

6. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Are there any readily available overbore kits for the TZ250? If not, it looks like the 250s are still dead. I don't think a TZ is an equal match for any of the new 600s, much less a superbiked 600.

I do think they are on the right track with the new rules. It is silly that FX and Superbike are essentially the same right now. It is also nice that they got rid of the Suzuki Cup aka 750 Superstock.

STEVE

7. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

250's are a match for 600's....Don't World 250GP riders turn faster times than World Supersport?

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think it'll be a really cool class. It actually looks more like our old F2 class (when we did the WERA Pro Series/FUSA stuff) than the FUSA class and it was great then - 250 GP's and a couple of serioulsy trick 600 Superbikes.

As for the 750's - they're still there according to the AMA Press release, sort of. There will be a place for them but the rules have moved to more like the ASS/Open SS rules. A 750 might do well at certain tracks. The Superstock class for them has really always been there mostly as grid filler for Superbike so the changes to it make sense based on the changes in Superbike.

I'm liking the new setup myself. I think it'll do well in it's intended goals - entertain the fans and sell bikes.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

As a whole, I dig it. Minor questions, but not a big enough one to b@tch at all.

10. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Yes, I was thinking of the Middleweight GP class as run at Loudon. Fifteen years ago we had this great 3-way rivalry going on among Gary Stas on a Ducati 750 F1B, Steve Nogueira on a Honda Hurricane 600 and Larry Hanlon on a TZ250.
    In my opinion, a good replacement for the discontinued Pro Thunder and 250 class. And you know the idea of 600 superbikes was always in the backs of our minds!
    Too bad they're still afraid to let 750 twins run in 600 Super Sport! :D

11. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Didn't Rich Oliver at one point hold the outright lap record at both Willow Springs and Road Atlanta? I also have a tape somewhere of Oliver and Fritz Kling (on the 1000 CC Yamamonster) dueling very nicely at Gratten.

12. RoastedRumpTard

RoastedRumpTard Well-Known Member

13. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Well, Rich Oliver's best practice time at Daytona this year would have put him 19th in 600SS qualifying. I realize Daytona may not be the best example, but remember those were not "superbike" 600s.

Don't miss my point here. I think the rules are a great move overall. I just think they don't really "save" 250s. BTW, I race a TZ250.

STEVE