1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

intel on rs125/crf450 conversions

Discussion in 'Tech' started by dakh, Jan 28, 2014.

1. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

There's a guy who did this locally (hi Alan..) but I wanted to see what else is out there.

Maybe someone with experience who I can just ship a frame and cases to and get it done in one go?

Looks like it's a lot more popular in Europe but I'm not finding much info on what exactly do they do over there.

Seems like one can cut the frame and cut the kickstarter off the CRF cases and weld in a different rear engine mount into the frame. Or chop the rear engine mount off the CRF cases and weld another mount so that it fits the stock engine mount in the frame.

What years RS125 is a good starting point?

I'm becoming pretty comfortable with rebuilding four-stroke singles myself and looks like a bike like that with a built motor is competitive with SV650's. I got some motors laying around and would love to have a track day toy that doesn't eat tires and isn't too slow to ride in the fast group plus do some racing here and there. I bet they crash awesome too :) It helps I'm only 150lbs (but 5'11").

Any leads? Thanks!

2. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

Searched some more and turns out another local shop built one. Going to see if I can talk to the builder...

Looks like quite a bit of custom work, tank is below the engine??

[​IMG]

3. raddad13

raddad13 Well-Known Member

There are a few video's of that bike in action on youtube, Ive thought about doing the same with my 125. I do think the rs250 is a better platform for the swap, but like the idea of it in the 125.

4. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Can you ay 'FlexaFlier"....

5. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Why take a pure GP bike and dilute it? Maintenance will be cheaper on a 125gp bike than it will be on a built CRF engine. Want more power? Step up to a 250. Want a thumper get a moto3 bike.

6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Contact Cedric Smith through the WMRRA forums. That's his bike. He did most, if not all, of the work, including welding and fitting. He even built a remote starter (spins the flywheel).

7. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

Seems like the combo of super light 125 chassis and a relatively built 450 motor is the only thing that's actually competitive in any class. Anything else is just a track day toy. Nothing wrong with that but a 170lbs bike with 60hp just sounds soooo good to me.

8. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

Man where do I start. Are you gonna bankroll a moto3 bike for me? 125 chassis sans motor can be had for a few grand and I already have a couple spare 450 motors. Why dilute it? What class do you race one in if there's no 125GP racing going on? Better put that thing on the grid with a 450 in it against SVs then let it rot. And no I'm not doing either 125 or 250 2-stroke, nobody to race and too fiddly. I can deal with spending one day a season tearing down and putting back together a CRF450 motor. And just riding it the rest of the time.

Now I might be delusional in my expectations but mind you I've been riding a supermoto'ed CRF450 on our local fairly tight track in Oregon and I know what it takes to keep it going.

9. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

Yea I've been wondering what is that weird hole over there. At this point I just need to know what year range chassis would work and once I find the right bike that it's build time. Unless someone talks me out of this. Anyone?

10. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

11. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Good luck with that! :crackup: It is really expensive to get a 125 to that weight. A stock MD is #200.

The remote starter works off the end of the crank. For the frame, 1995 or newer.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  12. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

Hey I got no clue what I'm talking about, 170 is what I've seen somewhere. If it's 200 or more than just converting a CRF into a road racer starts being a bit more reasonable.

Thanks on the frame reference. On to find where these 125 folks are hanging out and selling their wares.