Indy 500 Official Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Yzasserina, Aug 12, 2020.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Damn, that would have been a great final 5 laps.

2. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Yep, I could go either way, Sato or Dixon, both deserving.

3. G 97

G 97 Garth

Need to make some changes to the aero packages of these cars while running at Indy.

Finish under yellow :Puke:

4. G 97

G 97 Garth

Look at the crowd going crazy.

5. drop

drop Well-Known Member

No deadline, or timeline. Stupid as fuck to end under caution.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Well? Decide yet? :D

Sorry, Can't marry you since I don't live in Utah but you can scratch my back, 'kay? :D

7. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Lolol! Goofball!!! This was so interesting to me, I watched every practice and qually and learned so much. Terrific!

Plus, Alo will be back. :)

8. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I think it will be a few years for Alonso. He mentioned about doing both races, but I don't see that happening logistically.

9. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

That and I think they said during the broadcast that Renault said uh-uh not happening.

Razr likes this.
  10. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Is the Coke 600 on later tonight?

Sabre699 likes this.
  11. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

We'll see. :cool: Anyway, this was wonderful for me, learned a bit about another form of racing. I had no idea it was such a team effort in terms of your spotters, in your ear constantly, and so on, which of course does not happen in F1 and MotoGP. What a balance of skill, focus, patience, teamwork, and perseverance, really remarkable. No wonder the triple crown is so difficult to achieve.

As a newcomer, I thought the announcing was OK? I am not unfamiliar with sports announcing and always enjoy Leigh Diffey and. Mike Tirico. I really liked Townsend Bell during the run up...

During the race, I thought too much inconsequential jabbering and would have liked to hear more radio transmissions? And focused drop ins on what those comments mean... it at times sounded a bit too frenetic and superficial to me. I realize a lot is going on...

Also, in F1 it is easy to keep track of pit strategies because there aren't a zillion of them splattered over 33 riders over X number of cautions.. Over 500 laps, can you color code
    them? That would be great!

12. drop

drop Well-Known Member

You will very rarely hear alot of team transmission. Other teams listen and that could give your race away.

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I like the interaction with the drivers, most are friends. There's a workout center in Speedway called Pitfit, they'll have a dozen drivers in there at the same time, it turns into a workout race, Dixon kicks ass there also. Can you imagine that in F1? I do love F1 though, the performance is mind boggling. F1 car is 11 seconds a lap faster at COTA, and about 20 seconds faster than a Moto GP bike.

Mike Torico is the gold standard, I like Paul Tracy also, he sure knows his shit. I'm not sure where you live, but I'll bet there's an IndyCar race not too far from you. The smaller tracks at night produce some great racing.

14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Pocono...it's off the schedule this year. I may have to take Yzass to Pocono whenever they come back, maybe go to the 500 next year. Me? I wanna hear the noise. :D

15. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Those cars go/went to Pocono? Are they fucking insane?!?! Where is the next nearest place.

16. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Ending under the yellow was the right call. It was getting late in the day, and it would have taken at least an hour to fix the attenuator doohickey. (I have read that the anchors were ripped out of the ground) Then, they would go at least 2 laps with pitstops before the green, and it would turn into a NASCAR crapshoot. Might as well just have a lottery to pick the winner. I'd have rather it ended under green, but with so few laps left, it made the most sense.

Razr likes this.
  17. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Mid Ohio next year, not too far from Pocono. They'll be back at Pocono soon.

18. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

If you like road course racing, Indy will host a double header weekend Oct 3,4 I believe, and the World SportsCar Challenge and Intercontinental Sports Car racing will have an 8 hour endurance race the same weekend.

Penske has plans to build a portable stage in front of the grandstands and will have concerts there. He will utilize the place much better than the George family did.

19. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

There's talk of putting Richmond back on the schedule. That would rock. Is that close to you Yazz?

20. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

We're in PA. We've been to Indy, but we went for Vale and Nicky, not for Alo (yet). We went to Montreal for him. Lol.