1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Increase Fork Travel or Raise up front.

Discussion in 'Tech' started by ToxicRacing, Jul 26, 2010.

1. ToxicRacing

ToxicRacing Well-Known Member

I just pulled apart a '06 GSXR750 I bought earlier this year and found what appears to be a set of forks with about 1/4" more travel than stock (have measured two stock 600's to be sure). This leaves me with a few questions.

Is this normal?
    How does one increase the travel on a set of cartridge forks? and why?
    Is this preferred to lowering the forks in the triples (increasing the front ride height)?

Thanks for the info.

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

The bottom out collar was removed.

3. ToxicRacing

The uncompressed length of the fork is longer.

4. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Was the top out spring modified/changed/removed?

5. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

What's inside the forks? They aren't stock, are they?

6. ToxicRacing

I honestly do not know what was done, and previous owner has no idea. All he said was that the springs were changed for his weight.

Hence why I'm asking here. Trying to find out what the possibilities are.

7. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

It could be anything from messing with the topout spring all the way to a full cartridge replacement.

8. RENCRN8

RENCRN8 Fornicate Sailor Jerry

Chris
    My RT cartridges are adjustable and are currently setup to give me 10mm longer than stock forks. And yes this allows to raise the front ride height more than dropping in the triples allows.

9. ToxicRacing

Thanks for the info, guess I have to open them up and see what the heck was done.

10. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

I cut the topout spring on mine and lengthened them about 6 mm. The oil bump stop does not change length. If you cut you effectively lower the forks that amount ( and have to change preload).

11. Europa

Europa Open The Throttle

Sounds like the top out was indeed resized..measure it and post the length. some people cut it or heat it while in a vise to resize it.
    As far as the why..its to keep the tire on the ground while on the gas, over crests, slight woops etc. so the bike holds its line. sag is
    a good thing. The more the better as long as you don't exceed 1/3 of your total travel. another reason is some put GSXR forks on
    SV"s which have a longer stock fork than the GSXR's.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010