1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. groundhogday

groundhogday Well-Known Member

Dumb question, is there a limit to how many times snap caps can be used?

2. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Until they break. Never had that happen, but it could I suppose.

groundhogday likes this.
  3. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

At this time there is no difference between a brace and a stock. So if you buy a pistol it will have a bare buffer tube. If it comes with a stock it’s a SBR and you’ll submit a form 4 and wait for 6? months. If you buy the bare buffer pistol you can submit a form 1 and when it’s approved you can add a stock. Form 1 waits have been all over the map.

4. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Not all snap caps are created equal though....I prefer the spring loaded/metal primer ones because it keeps the primer in the same spot for the firing pin...you can see with the non spring loaded/non metal ones (yellow), the primer just recesses further and further and gets to the point you can feel the lack of resistance on the firing pin when dry firing...

96976E30-552C-45C8-81D7-4403A1022DE5.jpeg

groundhogday likes this.
  5. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

no engraving or anything on the freebies that I know of.

From what I've read, the fact that the court said "hold up, not so fast" and put a hold on enforcement for the groups in the case (there are actually 2 cases but very similar) bodes well for the expected outcome of the ATF overstepping it's bounds. And I'm pretty sure that they will cover you if you join after the date of the cases/rulings. Might be worth a look.

GixxerJohn011 likes this.
  6. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Ron has a good answer but to clarify a bit- if you purchase a pistol (AR15 with a pistol buffer tube, or no buffer tube, etc) you can walk out with it. Then you can Form 1 (creating an SBR) and send in your $200 and wait for it to clear (times are all over the place but typically in the past they were 30-90 days). Once it clears and you receive your stamp, you engrave the new SBR with your info (personal or trust) and then make your SBR by attaching a stock to it.

If you purchase an SBR from a shop, you are going to pay for the SBR, pay the $200 tax, and submit your form 4 paperwork (Form 4 is purchasing an existing SBR, Form 1 is creating a new SBR) and then wait for your stamp to clear while the shop retains possession of your SBR (i.e. you don't get to take it home with you). You do not have possession of the SBR until your paperwork is received. In the past this was up to a year+. I think the times are coming down to 6-8 month range and could be less but for sure it's longer than the Form 1.

This was one big advantage of the "pistol AR", you could take your pistol home and submit a Form 1 and have your SBR in hand much quicker than buying an official factory built SBR. But also you need to make sure you like it and are planning on keeping it because the Form 1 SBR lower receiver will have your info engraved on it (name of person/trust, city and state). It's possible to remove an SBR from the registry but that's a hassle.

gapman789 likes this.
  7. Christopher Graybosch

Christopher Graybosch Well-Known Member

I can personally attest that a form 1 is taking longer than a form 4. My form 1 is now in its 10th month of waiting with no word at all from the ATF. I sent an update request and I’m pretty sure they put me at the bottom of the pile.

8. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Got my Franklin lower with binary trigger last week (just in time for 5.56 ammo prices to jump up). The little hole in the wall FFL had a bag (like literally a Kroger bag) full of Magpul mags for sale so I grabbed 2 window mags at $9 each. Loaded 'em up and took them to the range. After 2 shots in semi I flicked it over to binary (where it will henceforth remain). In about the time it takes to sneeze there was $35 (in today's prices) of brass laying on the ground. Yesterday went to the other (outdoor) range and shot it with the CMMG .22 bolt, it had 1 or 2 malfunctions in 300+ rounds. Also brought my problematic TX22 out; I was very pleased that the first 21 rd mag shot without a hitch. Second mag had 2 FTE's. Loaded up some different ammo and had similar results- averaged 1 malfunction per mag. Much better than it has been, but not as good as I'd like. As always the S&W FPC was a delight to shoot with no issues.

9. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Does a suppressor count as barrel length in the eyes of the man?

10. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

Depends if it’s welded on there or not. For now.

11. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

not unless it's pin and welded to the barrel. Anything that can be easily removed doesn't count.

the only thing i've seen that counts that is pretty cool are the Tactical Solutions SBX barrels. They have a shroud at the end of the barrel that is big enough to go around a 22lr suppressor. So the whole barrel and shroud is 16.1" long, but the actual threaded barrel is probably 12" or so. I've got one on a 10/22 and 77/22.

the only issue is if your suppressor comes unscrewed from the threaded end cap, that can cause issues as it's very hard to remove it when it's stuck down in the shroud.

12. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Got it, thanks!

13. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan Who's the next Contestant?

14. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Man, that clears up a lot...and thanks to RonR and others that are educatin' me.

Soooo, what if I buy an AR Pistol with brace off of Armslist from a reputable seller (reputable IMO = somebody that's been selling on Armslist for many years),,,,,Is that a legal sale/purchase?.... if so, I suppose I would have to remove the brace, destroy it, or put it in a storage, or some other bldg besides my home....then fill out the Form 1 and wait for the approval to exercise my 2A rights, and then put the brace back on or buy another brace?

15. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Depends on what FFL you send it to for transfer. They may not want to do it if the brace is included.

16. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

17. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

18. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

No it does not.
    For any device attached to the end of a barrel that is not 16.25" in length, the device would need to be pinned and welded on.
    The device has to be not easily removed.

19. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

It sure seems like you're trying to make this as complicated as possible... Did you know that if you buy a complete lower (as I've suggested a few times) you don't need to "declare" it a pistol or rifle? Then add whatever you want to suit your needs and satisfy the level of compliance you're comfy with.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  20. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Some additional context to what's been provided regarding your Armslist question.
    • If you and seller are in the same state, AND the state allows private party sale, you can buy the pistol with the brace, just remove it while waiting for your Form1
    • If you are the seller are in the same state, and the state DOES NOT allow private party sale (i.e. you both have to go to a gunshop where the shop performs the background check) having the brace attached for the sale would be dependant on the comfort level of the shop. Suggestion: Have the seller take off the brace and hand that to you prior or after going into the shop.
    • If you and the seller are in different states, the PISTOL (AR-Pistol is still a pistol) has to either be sold to you in your state at an FFL (i.e. seller drives to your gunshop) OR the seller ships it to your FFL, and then you go pick it up. Again, having the brace attached for the sale would be dependant on the comfort level of the shop. Suggestion: Have the seller take off the brace and mail that to your house. Leave it detached from the AR-Pistol
    IMO, and others may vary, the key is not having the brace near the pistol with the naked buffer tube. Keep it in a different room, or out in the garage.
    It's an incredible long shot, but "constructive intent" could bite pretty hard.