1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. :crackup:

2. Yep, that was my only gripe. Loved the gun but I kept engaging the damn safety. Which renders the gun useless for me. I could never rely on it for self-defense and wouldnt even have fun playing with it, if I am constantly going to be engaging the safety.

GixxerJohn011 likes this.
  3. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Do you have the skills to DIY? I have a Ruger with a safety that I tried to get removed. Nobody would touch it all the way from Ruger to the sketchiest gunsmith that I would trust a gun to. It has a safety AND it’s not cut for a dot so I am currently shopping for its replacement.

Ninja edit: I was half lit and posting last night but didn’t post…then apparently posted it now.

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Please tell me you guys aren't accidentally (negligently) thumbing the kill switch on your bikes. :D

Sabre699 and Steeltoe like this.
  5. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

They're 8 round mags, OEM'd by mecgar I believe. It didn't seem to do it when I only loaded 5, but anything more than 5 and it hung often. I was thinking about knocking the nub down a bit w/ a hammer? One mag has significantly more brass scrapings on it than the other.

LOL yeah well... compared to other 1911's I've shot over the years, having a FTF 100% caused by the mag is an incredibly positive experience :D

Steeltoe likes this.
  6. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Dropped in the Larue MBT-2S today and man, tis nice. Very nice! No Dillo Dust though :oops:

8. fastfreddie

I thought Mec-Gar was supposed to have a good rep, supplying a number of manufacturers?

In my Colt 1991A1, 7rd Colt mags have a dimple, no issues. With 8rd McCormicks having flat followers (stainless, and stronger springs), also no issues.

An 8rd RWB (flat follower) was issued with my new to me RIA Tac Ultra FS. I bought two more RWBs mags, an 8rd and a 15rd. Waiting to make some range time...

Your post that I initially quoted has me delving back into this dimple/flat follower/spring thing cuz, yeah, now I'm wondering more about it. I'm beginning to think that even the steel used in the mag may be a factor, stainless vs carbon.

Previously, I only had familiarity and personal experience to go on and my research then was prompted by bent/worn feed lips. JMB engineered such pure genius with every little detail of the 1911 that it takes an expert 1911 tuner to fully appreciate. I'm learning something new, even after countless thousands of rounds and minor mods, every time I go down that rabbit hole.
    In the past, my "fixes" were always a new mag...until I broke the lug protrusion on the 1991's original slide stop. :D

Now, I'm definitely more discerning about how the thing works, why it works as designed and how to avoid tossin' a monkey wrench into the works. I should probably buy a book...for sure, there's gotta be a 1911 Bible.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

10. fastfreddie

Thanks. I'll check it out.

11. upload_2023-1-16_6-44-52.jpeg

12. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Anyone have a glock 43x with a red dot? Did you go MOS route or send the slide off?

13. With my experience with Glock's MOS, I would either send the slide off or buy an aftermarket slide that is already cut. I thought about doing that with my 43X but ended up going the P365 route instead.

Steak Travis likes this.
  14. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Glock MOS=POS

15. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

Unless you are talking G19 or G17 MOS and a Holosun SCS dot. That is a very nice combination and how the gun should come from the factory. Even co-witnesses with factory height sights.

Shazam!
    [​IMG]

16. Steak Travis

Made it 16 days w/0 buying anything. I don’t need the 43x, psa AK, or scope for my AR that I never use in the back of the safe.

my dad might drive up and we may order a Henry 30-30 for the kid but that doesn’t count toward no guns for 2023.

17. fastfreddie

30-30 lever guns fall under the men's department/accessories category of everyday male lifestyle considerations in the same way no garage is complete without a chainsaw.

Clay likes this.
  18. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I’ve had years when no new guns came home and after each gun purchase for the last few years I think that I’m done. Then some new purpose or cool shit turns up and here we go. I have started rotating out some stuff and they are money in the safe so my wife and son can figure it out some day. I really need to set up a NFA trust.

19. Steak Travis

Yeah I've got a few suppressors that aren't on my trust but the SBR's and all future suppressors are on the trust for that reason. Will deal with the ones that are not on the trust eventually but I'm not in a hurry.

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Who has a JAKL?