1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

For which gun, and are you running a light? There are companies who make good non-light bearing holsters, but as soon as you throw a light into the equation, they can't get it right.

2. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

365XL, no light but I do run a dot. I’d like one that has more of the mag carrier below the belt. I’m carrying the 17 round from the X Macro and with the janky carrier I have now, just trying it instead of the neomag, the width of it and the pistol are fine but so much of the mag is above my belt it prints like crazy.

3. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Out of curiosity, why not just go with the Tier 1? Sounds like you kind of already answered your own question :confused:

4. deathwagon

If you want a solid, non-hinged appendix rig for the P365 XL, LLOD is great. For a hinged version, I'd go with Tier 1. I have no experience with any builders who make one with a low, below the beltline mag carrier. That kinda defeats the purpose of fast tactical reloads, and having the mag carrier in line (height-wise) actually makes it conceal better, as your shirt sorta flows over both portions. On my body type, anyway.

Edit- Oh, I failed to read the part about you carrying the tall X Macro spare mag. You'll likely have to have one custom made to drop the carrier deeper into the kydex.

I've wasted so much money with crappy holster makers that I just started making my own with a toaster oven and a kydex press. Lots of trial and error, but the results have been better than most "professional" holster makers.

Ones I would NOT recommend: Legacy Firearms, Neptune, Slim Fit, Mckinatec, QVO Tactical, Warhorse. Ironically, some of those are the most expensive, with the longest wait times too. Some as long as 4 months. And price does not necessarily equal quality.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
    cbush and GixxerJohn011 like this.
  5. GixxerJohn011

It’s definitely the front runner but I figured I’d up the sample size here and maybe find more than 2 to look at.

6. GixxerJohn011

im pretty ignorant on this setup, any pros or cons of hinged or not?
    I’d have to try them out I guess. I think part of the problem with the one I have is I bought it before the 15 and 17 round mags were available for the 365. If I put the 12 in there it rides about where I think I’d want it.

7. The people that appendix carry, do you keep the holster there when you drive? Seems like it would be aggravating as hell.

I carry at about 4 o’clock and that is right where the opening is in the corner of the seat, so it doesn’t bother me.

GixxerJohn011 likes this.
  8. deathwagon

For me, the hinged versions are slightly more comfortable, as they conform to your body a little better, and depending on the design, can have a little flex on the vertical plane too. The non-hinged versions tend to feel a little more solidly planted on the belt. I carry 14+ hours per day, so I usually go with the hinged versions for my P365 XL, even though I have both versions for that gun.

9. deathwagon

Appendix is more comfortable for me behind the wheel, and more accessible. After I get situated in the seat, I just hike up the holster a little on my waistline and all is well. I've never heard of anyone suffering abdominal injuries in an auto accident due to appendix carry, but that may be a consideration. I could see that being a big deal in a serious collision.

Gorilla George likes this.
  10. redtailracing

Gotcha. FWIW, I appendix a Tier 1 and have been pretty happy with it

11. redtailracing

With a good holster, it's not bad at all. I will take my holster off and put the whole rig in the center console if I'm driving more than an hour or so. But inside of an hour, it doesn't bother me.

12. GixxerJohn011

Yes. I have a ratchet style belt, I think it’s Nexbelt, that I can loosen a few clicks if it’s uncomfortable but honestly most of the time I don’t mess with it.

The main reason I went to appendix was drawing from a seated position. There was a shooting at a church up around Dallas where the good guy fumbled with his draw from 4 o’clock for what seemed like 5 minutes before taking a shotgun to the chest. After that I started doing drills where I didn’t have a perfect stance and my hands ready, appendix was the clear winner there. From a seated position it was MUCH more consistent, turns out it’s pretty damn comfortable too.

13. Well shit. That’s a very valid point and something I’ve never thought about. I think I’ll pick up an appendix holster and try it.

14. I did a comparison with the Canik Rival SFX and the Walther Q5 Match SF. I chose the Q5 because it is one of my better shooting guns.

0A02B80D-1F6E-42C7-90BD-F64120B5BA73.jpeg

The Q5 feels and fits much better in my hands. The grip is larger and the extended beaver tail makes it very comfortable to hold.

The Q5 also shoots much smoother/softer. But it’s a heavier, steel frame gun, so that is to be expected.

But performance wise, this damn Rival is something else. It is quickly becoming one of my fav guns.

I did a drill bringing the gun from my waist to my chest, then extending/aiming, and did a rapid fire Triple-Tap from 8 yards. After each 3 rapid fire shots I’d bring it down to my waist and repeat.

This fucking Rival…

BF4FDCCF-C84E-4701-BC15-961F9C9CD848.jpeg

A couple of shots got away from me a little. But the rest were on point. The accuracy of this damn thing is insane. And that trigger is incredible.

It would be very hard to choose between the Rival and the Q5 Match SF if I had to pick one which says a lot considering the Q5 was 3x the cost.

BTW - Honest Outlaw did a 1000 round review of the Rival. If anyone is interested go check it out.

Triple X and cbush like this.
  15. I also took a couple of .45s, the S&W Performance Center 45 and the Glock 41 MOS.

The Glock, well it’s a Glock. It does it’s job.

But that S&W with the built-in Compensator is a damn good shooting gun.

I know it’s ugly. But it has a 14+1 capacity and shoots damn good. Although I don’t like the curved trigger.

BD731445-20C1-4353-9A2E-3B7E3B132EAA.jpeg

Triple X likes this.
  16. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

that is some serious commitment to searching for the ultimate ankle holster. Ive only tried a couple but even y smallest (ruger lcr 22) is too big for an ankle setup. Plus most of my jeans/pants would be too snug. But ive always loved the idea of a ankle carry

17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

At the LGS today...
    Tried on a Canik for size. Nope.
    Also had the opportunity to try single-stack Glocks, but I declined. I won't do trigger safeties as the sole safety.

18. I don’t like single stack anything; the capacity sucks.

19. GixxerJohn011

I hide behind the capacity knowing I won’t ever carry one or reach for it to defend my home. There are so many better options but deep down I want a slicked up 1911 or a big bad ass stupid caliber revolver so bad I can’t sleep some nights.
    Honestly my biggest fear is if I open Pandora’s box and buy a gun that doesn’t fill a role and just start buying guns because they’re cool and pretty I’ll buy more guns than you. Next thing you know I’ll miss a few mortgage payments and it will just be me and my cool guns living in a van down by the river.

Gorilla George and cbush like this.
  20. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Saw my friends Kel tec P50 yesterday. Something screams I gotta have one.

Shoots 5.7x28 and hold 50 rounds. Yea I need that.:crackup: