Hows Georgia?

Discussion in 'General' started by AssClown, Jan 5, 2008.

1. AssClown

AssClown Well-Known Member

It looks like I will be moving out to GA in May for a new job. I will be in the Atlanta area.
    I was wondering how it is there?
    Is it pretty laid back? Uptight? The Weather? The people?
    Anything I should be aware of?

Any info would be cool, since I don't have a clue about Georgia. Drove through it once like ten years ago. All I remember is a lot of trees.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

People are cool for the most part, laid back, traffic sucks so when you know where the job is let us know before you pick a place to live. Lot of people on here from the area can help you avoid the major issues.

All in all I love it and can't see living anywhere else. We're about 30-45 minutes North of downtown.

3. chas

chas Well-Known Member

where are you moving from?

I moved here two years ago from Santa Cruz CA. Live in Woodstock, work in Alpharetta. I basically see it as a Bay Area without the ocean. ATL is close, yet still far enough away. Good riding in the North Georgia hills. Good number of tracks within 6 hour drive. Cost of living is not bad (compared to where I came from).

After two years, I am still glad I made the move.

4. AssClown

Right now I'm in the Los Angeles area. Been here a couple of years. Moved here from San Francisco. Wish I would have stayed in SF. I hate the traffic here. But I guess that it sucks everywhere now days. And SF seemed to have more friendly people. But being in southern california, got me to try racing with the WSMC. Which has been at lot of fun and a good way to get rid of money.

I got an old boss that is trying to recruit me and get me out there. Sofar everything sounds with the hole deal. The place is suppose to be about 20 mile out side of Atlanta, but I didn't ask in which direction. I should now more in a few weeks on the exact area. Then I'll start bugging everyone with more specific questions.:)

Thank for the info:up:

5. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

What part of LA?

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

ATL traffic is nothing compared to LA. Not even in the same realm of suckage.

7. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

LA traffic sucks more than any place I've EVER been to and it always has!

8. AssClown

:crackup: Well that is awesome to hear on the suckage.

I live in Thousand Oaks now. It is about 30 miles away for downtown LA.

9. AssClown

Ya, going anywhere here takes forever. I blows me away just the volume of cars that are on the road here.

10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I moved out here from SD about 8 months ago. I lived in SoCal most of my life. Its very nice out here. People complain about the house prices being like 300K or 400K fro a MANSION. I laugh. A bit hot and wet in the summer, just stay inside. If you move just try to live near your job or go opposite of traffic. Its not as bad as LA, but at rush hour its pretty awful.

Maybe if we get enough "yankees" we will eventually be able to buy a bottle of scotch at the grocery store instead of driving to a "liquor" store to get some.

11. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

I grew up in the Wilmington/Carson area....

12. AssClown

How do you like GA as compared to growing up in the LA area?

I'm just glad no one has gone off with any major complaints. Makes it seem like a good move.

13. AssClown

You can't buy any liquor in a grocery store? Only liquor stores. Beer and wine too?

14. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

We turned Vicki into a redneck. Shes more southern than me and i was born/raised in n.carolina :) good luck with the move

15. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

She is not 100% redneck. She still drinks Corona and not MGD. ;)

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Beer and wine can be had in the grocery store, but not on Sunday.

17. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

And there are some "dry" counties. Not sure of one right now, but they do exist in GA. ;)

IIRC also a law in GA that minors are not allowed where they serve liquor. Good if you want to get away from kids while you drink, bad if you are going out and bring kids. :tut:

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Whatever county TWO is in is dry. You have to drive back to Dahlonega to make a purchase.

I think that limit is for bars or night clubs. I know there is not a restriction on restaurants.

19. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

We can buy beer on sunday in grocerey store. Whoo-hoo

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I can't remember, I don't think that used to be the case. If you could, it was afer noon. Of course my memory is getting faulty.