1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much paint needed for complete repaint

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Focker, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Going to be repainting my race bike. I have 2 complete sets of race glass that I was going to paint. I usually order through tcp global.

I can't remember how much I used last time. Wondering if 1.5 quarts of mixed 2k clearcoat will be enough?

Other suggestions on who to order from?

2. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Mixed? It usually doesn't come premixed. But yeah 1.5 qts should be more than enough

3. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Doesn't come premixed. Comes as 1 quart clear 1 pint hardener.

I figured that would be enough for 2 sets, but thought I would check.

Thanks!

4. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Yes that will be more than enough, especially after you add the reducer.

Focker likes this.
  5. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I used a little less than a half-quart of red to cover one full set or R6 plastics that was primed gray, so extrapolating that out 1.5qt would get you three sets plus some leftover.

6. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

Comparing color coverage to clear coverage is kind of apples to oranges though. You generally spray clear much heavier than color.

More to your question, I just shot mine and I can't remember how much clear I used. I want to say I used close to a quart for 2 wet coats on one set.

Don't quote me on that, I should have paid closer attention but I was working in weights (grams) for the sake of mixing. I can say that I ordered a gallon my last order, so 6 quarts total. I've sprayed 3 sets with that gallon, and I don't think I can get a 4th out of it.

The last thing you want is to run out of clear and have a bunch of dry spray.

7. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Thanks all. I bought a quart of paint and quart of reducer. That and a quart of clear was 160 cdn.