1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Office All in One Print/Scan/Copy recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Apr 24, 2024.

1. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

My Brother MFC-9325 CW sounds like it's chewing glass when it runs the last couple of days and the copy quality has been horrid lately.

I am looking to replace it. Requirements are:
    - Wireless
    - Sheetfed scanning for multiple-page documents (no flatbed scanning)
    - Color
    - 100+ pages of paper holding, more is better
    - Good quality....duh.....

Brother replacement cartridges are expensive and with time, subpar in quality.

If it does two sided printing, great, but not necessary. I'd like to keep it reasonable. I know I can drop $1K for something good, but its not needed.

Thanks in advance.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I keep buying Brother printers. Haven’t found anything that works as well since the LaserJetIII.

Consumables are spendy for any color laser, which is why I keep a B&W laser for the volume/workhorse stuff along with the MFC that hits all the requirements you listed (and IIRC, that printer is 6 years old).

CRA_Fizzer and DrA5 like this.
  3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

+1 on Brother laser printers. That's all I've bought since I threw my last POS inkjet in the garbage 10 years ago.

DrA5 likes this.
  4. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Another vote for Brother
    Have a MFC-J6555DW in my office

DrA5 likes this.
  5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I have 3 Brother laser printers/scanners here at work and they have performed well. In the past 6 months I bought a new HP color laser for home and it was difficult to properly connect to the WiFi and make scanning/printing work. It would lose connection after turning off the computer.

After messing with it for a few days and contacting support too, I returned it and put in a new Brother MFC. Worked without an issue.

Is that better, @HPPT ?:D

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    DrA5 likes this.
  6. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I've had a Brother MFC-J5945DW for a few years now and find it to be good for everything except photo scanning. Colors are really washed out when scanning photos. Document scanning isn't so bad as long as you're not too worried about color fidelity. Two paper trays, can easily hold 200 sheets per tray, very fast output for documents, slower for photos. Wireless, has a sheet feeder that works quite well and the ink cartridges last a looooong time (1500 pages for color, 3000 for black). It does tend to need the jets cleaned if I haven't used it in awhile, but it seems to be able to clean them well and be ready for action. I don't do a ton of printing with it so I do end up having to clean it quite often. But I've only had to replace the ink cartridges once.

I bought a cheapo Epson perfection V39 for photo scanning and it really is the bomb diggity when it comes to photos. But... it's a flatbed glass scanner.

DrA5 likes this.
  7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You need to capitalize that, man. :crackup:

Jed, auminer, lopitt85 and 1 other person like this.
  8. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I have three Brother printers in my office. They all are workhorses. The page count on my oldest MFC is 78,146 pages and still going strong. The only HP copier I have is a large format copier for 30x42 drawings. If brother made one I would have bought it instead.

DrA5 likes this.
  9. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Epson Ecotank (not sure of the number at this moment). Haven't added ink in 16 months after several reams of paper. No problems.

DrA5 likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Did HP for years until I wound up with a Brother copier/printer I grabbed purely because it was cheap at a race wh3n we started back up out west, we weren't sure how successful it'd be so I got the cheapest I could find. The Brother is still working at least 15 and maybe even 20 years later after bouncing around in a tub to and from races and living in an enclosed trailer in the desert out west for most of its life. I'm absolutely a fanboy of the brand.

DrA5 likes this.
  11. BigBird

BigBird blah

Brother is great as mentioned.

My latest Canon is pretty decent for the price. Only does one side scanning though through the sheet feeder. TR8620a

DrA5 likes this.
  12. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

I pulled the trigger and got another brother based on the responses.

Thanks all.

Brother MFC-L3780CDW

BigBird likes this.
  13. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

We have always used Brother printers for doing the STT registration - I feel they are the most durable printer I’ve ever used - we beat the shit out of them.

14. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

Just ordered the same. Daughter has been bugging me for years and tomorrow is her birthday. I've been 100% satisfied with the B&W Brother all in one laser we have had for 8 years.

DrA5 likes this.