1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey Golfer, New clubs which one?

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Feb 3, 2017.

1. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Looking at picking up a new iron set this year. Wont have the coin for a custom forged set.

Looking for some input on what guys like and recommend.

2. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Spend your money on getting better through lessons or more rounds. I still play with a 20 year old set of Titleist DCIs and I'll kick your ass with them. :D

3. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

A lot depends on your handicap.

I'm a fan of Mizuno, but ask 100 golfers and you'll get no less than 50 different answers. I am also a fan of buying new one or two year old clubs. When I bought my new set of Mizuno JPX irons in 2015 I bought the 2013 models and saved some $400 compared to the 2015 models.

:stupid:

4. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

agreed on the handicap statement above. unless you are low single digit, a custom forged set is a waste. i would buy a demo set or a year or two older line that is in good shape. go cast, something with a large cavity for forgiveness, in whichever brand tickles your fancy. im using titleist dci 981s i had custom fit to me when i was done growing (right after highschool) and i score pretty well with them still and they are 15 years old.

5. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Working with a scratch golfer that has helped a lot. Will continue to play with him all I can. No real professionals in my area. I play everyday when the weather breaks here in the next 30 days or so. Wife told me at Christmas to pick a new set out as my gift. I'm not gonna turn that down. Lol

omatter34 likes this.
  6. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

haha alright well in that case, get something you like the look of, get the shafts tuned to your swing. my handicap has suffered as of late with a new kid and changing jobs leaving me less time to play but i tell people who are 15-20 handicap that the shaft is as important as the clubhead.

taylormade seems popular, and their prices are pretty decent in my area.
    ive never liked the aesthetics of the callaway irons.
    mizuno is awesome but here in southern cali their prices are high.

get some of the kirkland golf balls if you can! :D

7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Ping.

8. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I would strongly suggest going to a shop and looking at the clubs in person before you buy anything. Some clubs literally look better to me at address and those are the ones I prefer. I hate clubs that have a fat upper edge because at address I feel like I'm about to swing a heavy rock. It probably doesn't change my swing that much, if at all, but I'll take what I can get.

FWIW, I play Mizuno.

9. LilBabyGirl

LilBabyGirl Whiney Cunt

What's your budget / handicap?

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

For most of my yet to be completed bag, I went with PING G15 - forgiving for my newb and less than dedicated status. I had them tuned and I hit 'em straight nearly every time with distance consistency.

They don't offer 'em anymore and I don't recall their model (G25?) that was a step up for the skilled swingers.

Relative to racing, everything is affordable.

11. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Get Tiger's , he's not using them much.

SmokeSignalRT and gixxercurt like this.
  12. Go try out a few sets and get your swing looked at. The 20 year old club thing has some merit but so does confidence in your game.

13. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

Do you prefer a CB, blade or the hybrids? The set I have now are the Bridgestone j38 and love them. And my handicap is a 6 as of last year. Before I got new clubs it was a 16 so new clubs made for you will help once you get use to them. The best clubs in my opinion are the miz or the titalist AP2

14. Bunke10

Bunke10 Well-Known Member

Brand doesn't matter. Go get fitted for what works best for you if you're serious about getting new clubs.

If possible, find a place that uses a Flightscope or Trackman to fit you. A basic fitting where they put tape on the club head is better than nothing though.

15. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Pretty sure that anyone good enough to be playing blades wouldn't be asking the Beeb for iron advice ;)

OP, although your wife "OK'd" the purchase of $1,000+ in clubs, I'd HIGHLY recommend doing what other posters have done and going the year or two old route (and grab some bike parts with the money you saved). I've been a scratch golfer as recently as two years ago and will play anything from 10 year old game improvement clubs (shovels) to my 15 year old set of the original Nike blades (prettiest clubs ever made, IMO).

"It's the archer, not the arrow".

If you're set on buying new, check out rockbottomgolf.

https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/golf-clubs/iron-sets/

socalrider likes this.
  16. Bingo. Due to my fake hip my swings a little jacked due to how far I have to lean over to get out of the pain zone. Once I got custom clubs it was night and day.

17. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Mizuno.

18. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

Always loved the feel of my Ping Eye2's. Haven't used them in a few years. I guess you'd call them vintage now?

Potts N Pans likes this.
  19. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Those are nice. I thought they were weighted well.

20. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Tough question. How good are you? How much you wanna spend? Where's your weakness, do you have swing issues? Are you tall/short? How much do you play?

There a lot that goes into getting a good quality set that works for you

Example, when I played a lot. I had a forged set with tour heads. I had a 105+ head speed so I used an extra stiff shaft. I had a steep attack angle so I used a shaft with a high kick point. Because I'm tall, I had to adjust the lie angle of the head. I liked a soft grip. Shafts were trued. I was a solid G into the irons. Driver was a similar build, custom shaft, grip, weighted head. I could reach 108 head speed with that, and was routinely 300yds driving distance.

Don't forget the ball makes a difference too. I hated the top titelist ball, it was hard, and spun a lot. I liked a softer ball, that didn't spin as much, easier to control, as I compressed the ball quit a bit. So for me a softer ball with more feel, felt better, especially with scoring irons in hand.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    Metalhead likes this.