1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heroes

Discussion in 'General' started by aip, Feb 19, 2001.

1. aip

aip Well-Known Member

Thank God we don't have to deal with this very often. The passing of a truly great man way before his time. Someone made mention that Dale Earnhardt was like the Michael Jordan of NASCAR. Personally I think Dale was bigger than Michael Jordan. Michael "jumped" onto the scene when basketball was already huge. Larry Bird and Magic Johnson made it what it is Michael help take it to the next level.

When Dale joined NASCAR a few hillbillies with very few teeth were watching the sport. With Dale's personality and business mind NASCAR has become what it is today.

Keep this in mind when a hero dies they become a legend. Godspeed Dale.

2. TONY #20

TONY #20 Well-Known Member

I agee....GODSPEED to a legend.

3. MR-MICROPHONE

MR-MICROPHONE Breakin' the Law!!

Dale was a legend a long time ago. And personally, I agree with you about the Jordan thing. I don't even think those two should even be put in the same sentence together. Jordan was great at what he did, but like you said, came into an already established arena and took it to the next level. Earnhardt, (a 9th grade dropout by the way) made the sport he loved into what it is today, from the time he came on the scene back in the mid 70's. And had a multi- million dollar empire that he built on his own. Not too bad for a high school dropout, huh? I hear alot of people say that racing or driving a car is not a sport. I disagree. Some of the most fit people/athletes drive a race car, race a bike, etc. So it sounds like a sport to me. And just think how many people are into racing as opposed to other sports. I think the number is probably alot higher than we can even imagine.
    GODSPEED DALE!

4. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

Anybody who says that obviously hasn't met Formula One drivers. They're fitter than most of baseball players.