1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with moto van seats

Discussion in 'General' started by dakh, Jul 23, 2014.

1. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

So I got this '97 ex-conversion Express. v6, regular length.

Gutted the interior (it was already mostly gone), only driver/pass seats left.

These things are from the conversion co ("Gladiator" heh). Comfy as all get out but they STINK and they're old and I absolutely want to get rid of the buggers before I proceed with building up the interior.

But I have no idea what to look for as far as replacement seats go.

Biggest question is what is my liability story if I change the seats. Same question for the rear seat. I can live with ignoring that subject but would like to know what are the rules of the game.

Next is the tech stuff. How hard/easy is it to make brackets if I set out to put say BMW X5 seats there? Or, put it in different way, what to look for if I go pick up seats on CL or junkyard as far as mounting brackets?

TIA!

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Just go find some seats out of a wrecked conversion van that aren't all nasty. You've got to be quick though - they go fast. I've been casually looking for a couple of years and have yet to see a decent seat that doesn't get swiped in a few days.

3. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

Do I need to find the exact same conversion or they're generally the same? Since it's a 97 I doubt I'll be able to find something good soon. Stock seats were same until 2002 but don't know if that's even relevant.

4. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Why don't you take the ones you have to an upholsterer and have them redone the way you want it?

5. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

6. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

They should be similar. Seat brackets are one of those things that don't change a lot. Probably any van seat for a GM full size van will fit across several years. You may want to check on an RV/Conversion van site to confirm.

8. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

see the second link i added?

9. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

I have bench seats in great shape with brackets that are beige. In Ohio...

10. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

Ah got it, thank you. I'll ask the seller what's up. Looks to me these are stock seats that they take out for conversions.

11. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

Thanks! Bench seats I got covered though, plenty to choose from locally. Front seats seem a bigger challenge.

12. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

Hm that appeals to me 'cause I'd rather not produce waste. Thanks, will investigate that option. There are a couple of places around that might be able to help.

13. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

So if it just stinks, before you spend any money on them, spray them good with Lysol unscented room deodorant, or Febreze. Yknow, like you do in your helmet and leathers when you don't have time to clean them. It's free and worth a try, can't hurt.

14. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

I've taken car seats to a car wash place and they detailed up nice for me. It was like $40 for the pair.

I've also bought seats from the RV and Van surplus place. They are not take outs but new seats.

15. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

Got a response from the eBay dude. What he got is stock Honda seats and there's no bracket that just bolts to the floor with them, have to either make one or use u-bolts.

I'll try to soak the buggers up in soapy water and hose down a few times to see if that takes the stink away.

16. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

The conversion van seat covers should be put on with hog rings. Unhook them with pliers and throw them in the washer. Hang dry and you are set..

17. You can just cut the hog rings and buy new ones at ace. If you go down that route I would order a decent set of hog ring pliers from grainger.

18. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

Hog rings? I had to look that up. Will try when I get back home, thanks a lot! Seats are cloth not leather so should was Ok.

I'm glad I asked!

19. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

We have a buy here, pay here lot and many of the vehicles come in smelling of cheap cologne and cigarettes. We have always thrown them in the washing machine with great results.

Use a regular household detergent, but not fabric softener. You may even run them through through twice if they are still smelly.
    Cold water and DO NOT PUT THEM IN THE DRYER!. They will shrink and you won't get them back on. Best to lay them on a flat surface and air dry.

And yes. +1000 on the hog ring pliers. So much easier.

20. Yep. The bottom cushion is cake to do. The back rest is a little more challenging but no biggie. I have a bunch of sets of hog ring pliers so if you're local PM me I'll give you a set. I may even have hog rings.

I did leather seating for dealerships for a while so I still have most of the tools for it.