1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me decide RSV4 or YZF-R1, Both 2016+

Discussion in 'General' started by russomf, Apr 13, 2022.

?

Which would you buy to race

1. RSV-4

24 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. YZF-R1

35 vote(s)
    59.3%
  1. russomf

russomf Well-Known Member

Trying to decide between the 2 bikes. I endurance raced a friends 2016 RSV4 and like the bike, the power and the way it handles but the TC leaves a little to be desired. I hear great things about the R1 power handling and the TC is supposed to be amazing. I have never ridden the R1. Who has raced both who can give pros and cons for both.

SpeedyE likes this.
  2. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

I would go for the R1 just cause lots of parts around and easy to obtain.

Never raced either, so take it with a grain of salt ;)

3. Sudowoodo

Sudowoodo Error 404: Skill not found

Have no experience racing either bike, but in 2017 the RSV4 electronics were all updated. You may like a 2017+ a lot more than a 2016. 2016 RSV4 was also the peak year for breaking valves.

4. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

I loved my 16 RSV. For street use it was phenomenal. Did everything well. As soon as started tracking, images of throwing it down and the costs to repair were always floating in the back of my head.

The Japanese bikes just seem a few steps ahead in reliability and more affordable parts.

BigBird and SpeedyE like this.
  5. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

R1. I’ve had 3 of them. Stone-reliable and parts are easy to source. Go-fast parts are much more available for the Yamaha too.

6. MV Rider

MV Rider Well-Known Member

I have had two RSV4s, a 2015 and a 2018 and have ridden both of them on the track. AF1 racing in Austin, TX can get you just about anything you want for the RSV. You have to plan better and anticipate what you will need for the RSV. You will have to carry your own spares for the RSV as it will be harder to find them at the track. The RSV is fun to ride with a great chassis and better brakes than an R1. I would get a 2017 or newer as that is when Aprilia started putting a quickshifter and auto blip downshift on the bike. I think the Japanese have caught up with the Europeans as far as the price of parts. Either way, they are both great bikes.

BigBird and Gorilla George like this.
  7. nick_b_507

nick_b_507 Member

There's a reason why you see a lot more R1s and ZX10s at the track.

I just traded my RSV4 for a Kawi last year. Bike was awesome until it needed major service. To give Aprilia credit they do a really good job publishing instructions for converting the bike to race mode and selling parts needed, including ECUs. They also publish an updated maintenance schedule for track usage, which is basically a top end and gearbox rebuild. AF1 is great for parts and they seemed helpful if I needed to talk to them. Avoid XPS in Accident MD at all costs, I made the mistake of taking my bike therefor service and they are completely incompetent.

As mentioned the 17+ has the blipper. They changed the linkage for the rear shock at some point as well which I don't recall exactly, but it makes a difference and the updated one will fit the older bikes. You can also get IAWDiag software for free for diagnostics, just be sure to buy the cables with the correct chips.

SpeedyE likes this.
  8. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

I've only ridden an RSV4 on the street.. It was awesome.

However, I picked up a ZX10R last year. I thought I was in love with it until I rode a newer R1.. Both are 2016 and have race kit ECU, auto-blip, blah blah blah. ZX10r would blow the doors off the R1 in the straights, but I was a lot more confident on the R1 everywhere else. TC and Wheelie control are much better on the R1 and the bike seems to fit me better..

If I wasn't so heavily invested in the Kawi, (3 sets of extra wheels, massive amounts of spares, etc) I would have switched to an R1 right away..

None the less, like everyone else says.. you'll find parts easier for the Yamaha, but I wouldn't expect too much of a price difference.

Bikes are so god damn good these days.

BigBird likes this.
  9. G2G

G2G I feel the need

2017 RSVR is a bit different electronically. Loved my 2018. Unfortunately I have not had an R1 on the track so I cannot compare.

10. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

R1, way more parts, more data and more of them on the grid for a reason

11. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

The RSV4 is better in every way except parts availability and reliability.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

So, just better for a while? :crackup:

13. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Styling counts, Frenchie :D

14. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

I've had both with the 19 RSV4 1100 Factory my current and a 18’ R1 I binned a few years ago. Other than valve service intervals depending on usage, stock to stock the Ape beats the R1. Similar power when unlocked but the nicer equipment from the factory from Ape beats the Yam. Never had an issue with parts being AF1, XPS, MotoPlex West Chester, and Warhorse HSBK have always had stuff in stock. Parts are a little more expensive for the Ape and spares due to that are scarce at the track. No reliability issues and I’ve had several. If I were to go back racing though I’d go R1 simply because of volume and knowledge at the track.

15. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

I was going to ask the same Q, later this summer. TY.

fwiw, a local guy bought a RSV4 in 2016, rode it (slower guy) at a couple TD's. Motor grenaded, and the dealer actually investigated the customer, found his FB page, saved his TD photos, and send that packet to Aprilia and his warranty claim was then denied. He had to buy a totaled RSV$ to get the engine from.
    Guy is/was in STL, so whatever Aprilia dealer is near STL, is who burned him w/ the factory/warranty.

I wanted an 2016 R1 until I watched a couple 44T videos where they said the R1 has gotten long in the tooth. Whatever that meant. I am on a dinasaur (05/1k) so, I think the R1 would be a Rocket. Thats probably what I get if a i get a used bike this summer.

16. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I just picked up a very well-sorted 2017 RSV4 and I do have to say it is everything I thought it would be. I had always wanted to try my hand at a modern superbike and I always found myself lusting every time I'd be pitted near them at the track and standing at the fence-line listening to that V4 symphony.

However.....I'm just enjoying leisurely weekends at trackdays. I wanted something that will scratch that itch and stir the soul. Italian machinery is pretty good at that.

If you have racing in mind you just can't compare the level of support, information, parts/service availability you'd get with something like the R1. There is a reason why, maybe only second to the R6, they are still the bike to which all others are judged. They do LOTS of things really, really well. They may not have the most HP or the trickest electronics, but in the hands of mortals they seem to be the easiest to get up to speed and go fast on....

R1Racer99, G2G and SpeedyE like this.
  17. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

This is what i was going to add. I've been casually looking for a newer Tuono and my research indicates '17 and up is the way to go.

18. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

To add, 17+ Tuono & RSV4's have the better revised and updated heads

19. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Had a '13 RSV4 race bike....now an '18 RSV4 Factory...Never ridden an R1 except for a '99...

If you're doing a full blown race season(s), probably a Jap bike. If doing track days and occasional races, RSV4.

The Aprilia RSV4 and Tuono that i have, are the best motorcycles i've ever owned.

I don't know how 'trick' the newest superbikes are , but Aprilia has adjustable engine mounts, steering head/angle, and of course all the electronics imagineable.

If you went with RSV4, get the Factory model...The forged wheels, Ohlins TTX, Ohlins NIX 30 forks and Ohlins damper are worth the extra cheddar.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
    AJ and SpeedyE like this.
  20. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Here's a thought/question...Can the 1100 RSV4's be raced legally with WERA or is the displacement too great? If not, you'll have to look at '17 - 20' base models, or '17-18' Factory models...

'19 -22' Factory models are 1100's.....'21-22' all models are 1100's.