1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Health Insurance Companies Performance Over 10 Years

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Jed, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Jed

Jed mellifluous

The attached image shows the stock performance of the major players in the healthcare industry over the last 10 years. How does the below effect your view of the companies saying they are getting killed by ACA markets financially. The ACA kicked in around 2012. There is a bump when Trump was elected.

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Obama was bought and paid for by the ins companies like I said all along? You should put big pharma in that chart too.

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Looks like profits were relatively flat until they started dropping out. ACA was never about cost of care.

4. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I'm sure being forced to buy ins vs jail was a great business model as well.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  5. Jed

Jed mellifluous

pull the same companies as of 1/1/2012. The performance has been fantastic since then. Companies pulled out of markets around the beginning of 2016 after the 2015 plan year numbers came in. 2015 was the first year of mandatory coverage and coverage through exchanges.

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

So are you just trying to convince me the ACA was a bad deal for the insured?

7. Jed

Jed mellifluous

For reference jan 1 2012 is 5 or so bars to the left of minus button at the bottom.

8. Jed

Jed mellifluous

No. It just didn't seem to kill the insurance companies as was their concern A five year chart shows 66% for the worst performer and 287% for the best.

It's my opinion that the stock performance doesn't correlate to the losses that the carriers say they have experienced that's causing financial harm.

9. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

What is it you are trying to accomplish / persuade etc etc etc.... by showing how much they made ?

Is it to start a "us vs them" type scenario?

I don't care how much they made. How much ins companies make plays no role in my thought that Obamacare was bad.

I mean the only known variable in the whole healthcare crisis is that businesses are in business to make money. I can deal with that . Their motives are clear.

The politician and bureaucrats are the ones who have motives that are hard to define.

Therefor I would much prefer govt stay the hell out of my healthcare as that removes an unknown when dealing with those decisions in my life.

R Acree and TurboBlew like this.
  10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Jail?

You mean there's a warrant out for me? :confused:

11. kangasj

kangasj Banned

I'm too lazy to do the research.....are these companies providing coverage under obamacare?...edit, I looked at United and Anthem. They are both pulling out.

12. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

If you didn't pay your tax penalties, the gov't will come 'a calling!

13. kangasj

kangasj Banned

14. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

What does price of stock have to do with anything. Snapchat, a company that admitted in its IPO document it will probably never turn a profit, is valued at billions. Just because idiots pump money into the company doesnt mean something is good or bad.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What does that have to do with my insurance doubling in cost for effectively little to no coverage compare to pre ACA?

That and who has ever said the insurance companies are the ones being hurt by it all? I've said all along they're the ones who bought Obama and congress to get it passed. Of course it was set up so they'd make more money.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Who was concerned about that?

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Insurance agents.

18. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

Was GA a state the opted out of setting up an exchange and didn't take the Medicare expansion?

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I believe so.

20. Quig

Quig Well-Known Member

What he said.