Hardware experts: Am I screwed?

Discussion in 'General' started by vince224, Jun 29, 2015.

1. vince224

vince224 Well-Known Member

I'm stumped, need help:

Trying to do a little repair for my MIL's sewing machine. It is old, and - I believe - of Japanese origin. FWIW, while I dont suspect most of you cats are big on sewing machines, this thing is an absolute RIPPER! lol

Anywho, trying to find a replacement for a screw that's seen better days.

First problem is I can not identify said screw.

The major dia is ~ 0.169" / 4.29 mm. Similar to English #8, or metric 4.5 (if such a thing exists).
    The thread pitch is larger than 0.6mm and smaller than 0.7mm.
    In english, that would be finer than 36 TPI, but coarser than 40 TPI.

I thought i was onto something with a British BA4 thread (~38.5 TPI), but the diameter is off.

Anyone?

vince
    :D

2. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

3. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

Is it on a part where drilling it out and tapping it to a standard size is feasible? It sounds like that is probably the easiest option.

4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

If it's older Japanese, it's probably a British copy. Whitworth, maybe? I have heard stories that Japanese cars were identical to Brit cars in every way before the Japanese went to their own bolts and standards, maybe this sewing machine is the same.

I agree that it might be easier to drill and tap for a modern fastener.

What's the make, model, and year of the sewing machine?

5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

JB Weld

6. vince224

tks guys; keep 'em coming.

im familiar w/ m-c but very unlikely they'll have what i need. if i confirm the thread it will almost surely call for a specialty supplier (or ring to a friend outside the US). i cant recall the machine brand offhand. not sure it will help, but will see if i can confirm it.

unfortunately, i dont think so. access to the fastener head from above (or lack there of) is in part why i'm looking to change the fastener. problem is this is for a plate right under the foot of the sewing head....so the machine arm is right above it and occludes a straight shot down to tap it.

that's why i was optimistic when i came across the BA spec...but that definitely isnt it. again, not sure the MMY info will help but let me see if i can confirm it (the machine is at MIL's house, 50mi from me at the moment).

appreciate any/all add'l thoughts.

vince

7. vince224

the screw holds a plate my MIL wants to be able to remove. otherwise....

vince

8. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Rivit…and let the plate rotate?

9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

What's frog whispering got to do with this?

10. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

That would be ribbit

11. SamS

SamS Well-Known Member

12. noeyes

noeyes Well-Known Member

Japan had their own thread sizes up until the late '60's I believe. Their's was called the JIS standard. I've learned of this trying to find OEM hardware for my '64 Honda Dream.

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

14. tito

tito Well-Known Member

how bad is the screw? how many do you need? could you take it to a machine chop hand have them replicate it?

15. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

commercial or household?

can you post a pic? if I don't have one Banasch's in Cincinnati probably does . bill and darethea

16. vince224

17. vince224

hmmmm.

it is a commercial machine. my in laws used to sew 'professionally'.

i also can now confirm the brand is JUKI.

i could take a pic of the screw easy....the machine would take some time.

vince

18. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

JUKI

Banasch's sell JUKI . if you know the name of the part the screw attaches they can send you a match. bill

if the machine is in a table with a clutch motor and leg lift it's most likely industrial . if it has a little tiny motor bolted onto the back of the machine and an electric foot pedal household. bill

19. vince224

tks!

dude, i'm guessing you would like this rig. the motor is like 5HP and runs off 230 VAC (thought about swapping it for the one on my air compressor! lol). it is a f'in beast. knee-controlled presser foot; table mounted; clutch-actuated; the whole nine yards.

i got sucked into this since i'm MIL's handyman, and i had to fix the clutch pedal (not sure what you call that bit). the linkage came loose.

this part is one of two little screws that holds a plate under the presser foot. not the one you remove to access the bobbin (which is tool-less), but an adjacent one for access to clean the bits under the table.

tks for the tip, i'll check into it. still wish i could ID this damn thread thoe! :)

vince

20. vince224