GSXR1000 mystery...

Discussion in 'Tech' started by racer212, Dec 21, 2006.

1. racer212

racer212 Well-Known Member

I'm posting for a buddy here. Suzuki tech support is scratching their heads, just wanted to see if anyone had an idea... I should add this bike has approximately 60k miles... (yes 60k)

A bone stock 2002 GSXR 1000 making approx 80hp. Power output
    avalanched during a Labor day trip to Road Atlanta.

Fires right up.
    Idles like a kitten.
    No guts under load.
    Has symptoms of fuel or air starvation, but both are fine.
    No fault codes from 2 different ECUs
    New plugs(twice)
    One marginal coil replaced($100)
    Timing is spot on.
    Compression within spec.
    Cam position sensor working.
    Throttle position sensor working.
    Injectors working.
    Fuel pump working.
    Good gas.
    Every other parameter known to tech tested and found to be in spec.
    Voodoo charms ineffective.

Is there a Dr. House in the house for sick Gixxers?

2. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

Sounds like the obvious has been checked, some Suzuki nut on here can probably chime in, but I'd check cam timing too.(I'm assuming you meant ignition timing was checked)

On that fuel pump, are you sure its not petering out under the high load conditions (high volume) and working fine at idle.

And 60,000 miles...nice :up:

3. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I've heard of this. Bad fuel pump that seemed normal. Swap tanks and see what happens. I'm sure the stealership has another bike there they can try it with. It will take less then 5 minutes to check.

4. Vinnie@proline

Vinnie@proline Well-Known Member

+1 on fuel pump.. Check leakdown in mean time, (60k=bad valves?)then go to the pump if nothing else is wrong...is the dyno line smooth to the peak or is it jumpy..

5. Brian139

Brian139 Well-Known Member

If I remember right that bike has the secondary butterflies. I have seen Gixxers where they don't open fully and don't throw a code. Kills it at high rpm/load. You can pull the plates to test. Watch for shavings from the staked screw though.

Brian

6. Vinnie@proline

Vinnie@proline Well-Known Member

I Think Brian Got It!!!!! If So A Beer On Me..

7. luckyhat12

luckyhat12 Silly Blue Rider

This guy is a friend of mine too... We changed out the tank with a working tank and fuel pump and it did the same thing.

I am going to try to get him to come over this weekend to take the plates off to check that.

Thank you very much for the help.

Chris

8. 23k5

23k5 Well-Known Member

Throttle position senesor working or just not throwing a code?

9. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

Let us know, make sure you have beer in the fridge to celebrate when you find the culprit.

10. Chip

Chip Registered

I am guessing leak down with that many miles....valves aren't sealing any more..

11. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

let guess it pulls to about 8k and then falls flat on it's face?

12. davetlr

davetlr Well-Known Member

+ 1 on the valves

13. luckyhat12

Yes to Handicapped Racer.

Additional information:

Compression test was done, TPS was replaced and resistance was measured, a marginal coil was replaced,

Quote from Owner regarding exhaust valve and the SEC TB Valved "If you refer to the valve in the exhaust collector, the motor is disabled, and the valve pinned open.

I was told the secondary set of butterflys are opening.I have taken a lot on faith, not being a mechanic." (end)

I will try and do a leak down if I can get the stuff over the weekend.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming.
    Chris

14. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

my guess would be to 1. do a leakdown like the others said..it will rule out motor...and 2 most likely a bad fuel pump/filter clogged. I had a GSXR750 down 25rwhp on my dyno last week..had 32k on it..i took pump out and the filter was just stupid clogged...we replaced it and bam...up came the power. also, the 2ndary butterflys do fail..simple fix if you dont want to spend $$$ on a new set of throttle bodies (suzi wont sell you the 2nd butteryfly servo!) is to just remove the butterfly plates...we had this same thing happen on a 2002 GSXR1000 guy bought from dealer...the dealer said tough shxt you bought it used, he was a college kid with no money, so we just removed the butterflys that were not opening and back came hte power (we cleaned up mapping to help the abrutness with them removed) but he has riden for a year now and have no issues.

my guess is Fuel pump/filter or 2nd butterflys Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  15. ed who?

lastly...i have a customer with a 2001 and 83,000 YES 83k on his...just did a leak down last service this summer...its BONE stock...3% and under! Pretty damn good...plus for giggles he had us dyno it...bone stock 83k still ripped 142rwhp..not bad...but he has been religous with maintance.

16. Brian139

Brian139 Well-Known Member

Make sure they open 100%. That may be why they don't throw a code. I have seen them move but not all the way and cause the power loss.

Brian

17. Handicapped Racer

Lmao! Had 2 bikes that came in the same time, with the exact same symptom, ED WHO's Suggestion was the correct on On the 750 but not the 1000k.

18. ed who?

???? what suggestion is wrong?

1. the pump/filter might be clogged? or

2. the throttle body 2nd butterflys could not be working? or

3. you cant buy just the 2ndary butterfly motor?

19. luckyhat12

It isn't the fuel pump... we replaced it with a different tank with a working pump. I am trying to get my hands on the equip to do a leakdown test this weekend. I just talked to him this morning. The valves clearance has been checked and were within spec and it has 76,XXX miles on it now so it has been a great bike.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am trying to get my hands on the bike this evening so I can take the plates off.

I appreciate all the help.

20. Handicapped Racer

you're paranoid dude, I said the 2 bikes i had come into my shop had the exact same problem, the 750 needed a fuel pump and a set of throttle bodies apparently the gas tank sat outside wide open. The entire tank was rusted and was full of leaves. I had replaced the throttle bodies first, the servo was moving slowly. So i dismissed a fuel problem. So ed your suggestion was correct and that was the issue i had on the 750, but two bikes same complaint 2 different problems.