1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gsxr to r6?

Discussion in 'General' started by mineshaved, Sep 27, 2011.

1. mineshaved

mineshaved product of my enviroment

I currently ride a 04 gsxr 600. I have been thinking about trying out a r6. I would be considering about an 08 model. I often hear people say if you want to go fast get a r6. Im just looking for some first hand experience from guys that have made a switch to the r6. What did it do for you? More confident? More comfortable for track? Handling? etc.. thanks for you help

2. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

It would be light years ahead of your 04 gixta. In every aspect.

3. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

The r6 turns with much less effort. You often hear "you think about turning, and it does". That is true. The r6 will get through a chicane or quick transition much easier too. You also will find yourself sitting "on top" of the bike, instead of in it (behind the gas tank). The r6 is a real screamer in the upper rpm.

On the flip side, the gsxr has more torque lower in the rpm. You don't HAVE to keep it SCREAMING to have any power (it's a 600, still have to keep it up there, but it's not the same as the r6 and as such is a LITTLE less picky about gear). Also, with sitting "in" the bike as opposed to "on top", you have more braking stability - doesn't feel as much like you are trying to not go over the bars braking hard, and the rear feels more planted under heavy braking. Also, the front end of the gsxr, while more effort to turn, gives more feedback from the front tire under trail braking. Also the heavier effort, seems to feel more stable.

4. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

:stupid: A current gsxr or current r6 will be light years ahead of your 04

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What's a gixta?

6. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

You'll go plaid.

7. mouimet

mouimet Well-Known Member

I got one for you!

I have a 2008 R6 that is fully set up with less than 4k miles. Ohlins 30MM Kit set up for 175LB, Ohlins TTX rear, Scott Damper, Brembo T-Drive Rotors, Power Commander USB, Power COmmander quick shifter, Akropovic Full System, SWEET!!!

Send me a note to me if interested:

[email protected]

8. ZxMoke

ZxMoke Well-Known Member

Mongo should bad him until he pays $10 to the weraclassifieds

9. speedjunkie13

speedjunkie13 Well-Known Member

+1

And he should ban him too ;)

10. A.R.K.

A.R.K. Well-Known Member

I went from a 04 GSXR600 and 750 to a 08 R6. The R6 does everything better.

11. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

:clap:

12. d-wire

d-wire Well-Known Member

:stupid: That pretty much sums it up. THe r6 chassis feels a little bit stiffer than the Suz....I like both. R6 has better top end hp....But you would be very close in lap time switching back and forth between the two (same model yr)...a lot of it depends on if you are more comfortable sitting "on top" of the bike or "in the bike". After spending as much as I did on R6's that popped...Id argue for Suz in the dependablity department.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  13. Nafterclifen

Nafterclifen Well-Known Member

I like my 04.

14. mineshaved

mineshaved product of my enviroment

I like mine also :). I think Im ready for a change. Maybe a newer Gsxr may also be a good decision. I like that fact that I have never had a problem with my bike (suzuki). There have been a few guys with newer r6s with issues that I know personally. I dont know if it was yamahas problem or users problem. I know my way around the suzuki pretty well.

15. Sixx22

Sixx22 Well-Known Member

I went from an 08 GSXR to an 09 R6. So far love it. The sitting on top of the bike thing is true. I am trying to get used to that. I seem to drag the front of my knees now. It is trashing my leathers. As soon as I make a riding style adjustment all will be good and a new set of leathers will come.

All in all the R6 is the bomb!

16. d-wire

d-wire Well-Known Member

thats the problem though Sixx...sometimes they are the bomb...literally. BOOOM!! clackity...clackity...clackity....brrgggggggg. There goes another rod bearing. Doh!

Did anyone see the WSS race this week at IMOLA??? I do love the r6 besides that.

17. Chango

Chango Something clever!

I went from an 05 GSXR600 to an 06 GSXR to an 08 R6S. They were all primarily street bikes but used for a few trackdays too.

The 06 GSXR felt like a pocketbike compared to the 05 (and so will anything else), but it was simply better in every way at the track. For street riding the 05 was more comfortable, but I doubt that's your main concern...

As for the R6S, I just never really liked it as much as the GSXRs. I never really gelled or meshed with it for whatever reason. I can understand why other people like them, but I just didn't. I might have liked a newer one, but I've never ridden one in anger, so I don't know...

18. Sixx22

Sixx22 Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed.....

19. vito2279

vito2279 Well-Known Member

HOLY SH*T!!! Sixx is that you? you're still alive????:D

20. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

alive and having watched him out at Tally this past weekend, riding QUITE well. :up: