1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSX-R1000 wont start, help!

Discussion in 'General' started by McGixxer, Mar 24, 2013.

1. McGixxer

McGixxer Well-Known Member

So last weekend at bling bling during Friday's practice, my bike didnt want to start sometimes, but it seemed like if I shook the bike, or punched the starter, or turned it off and on a few times then it would then start. I just assumed I had a bad starter and hoped it would make it one more day of being intermitent...

Spent all day satruday push starting the bike...

So I got home, ordered me a new starter, swapped it out.. FAIL

Next I swapped out the starter solenoid... FAIL

When I press the start button, you can hear the fuel pump pumping away.
    You can push start the bike just fine, and its keeps running fine.
    You can bridge the two wires on the starter solenoid and the starter motor spins just fine.

So what else could it be??? Is there another relay in the system??

Bike is a 2007 GSXR1000 with a Yoshi EMPro

Any help or ideas at this point would be much appreciated.

2. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

It doesn't spin over?

If check starter button, clutch switch, and kickstand switch. Kickstand would kind it while riding though so starter button and clutch switch

3. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

I once had the same issue and found the wires inside the kill switch box slightly detached. Just a thought.

4. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

I'm with Joe. I (foolishly) pulled then pushed back on my started switch before and the slightly ridged surface of the bar wore the insulation off the starter wire.

5. Chango

Chango Something clever!

On my 05 600 the starter button itself went out. Everything else was fine and dandy, just the button.

6. river rat

river rat Well-Known Member

I just went through the same thing literally two days ago. My bikes been sitting in the basement untouched for three years. I finally got everything back together and when I went to start it, I had the same exact symptom as your having. After looking into it for a few minutes, I figured out the the clutch interlock switch wasn't making contact.Took it apart, Ran a small piece of sandpaper across the contacts and hit it with a bit of WD40 and all is good now. Hope this works for ya!

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'm thinking starter switch. If it were the kill switch, clutch interlock, or kickstand, the fuel pump wouldn't prime.

8. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

Clutch switch for my vote. Fuel pump isn't linked to clutch or kickstand, the starter circuit is. The run start and tipover have the fuel pump.

9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Me too, on older bikes I've seen the contact points get dirty and need a little sanding to shine them up.

10. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Fuel pump primes without clutch, but I bet starter switch too

11. jimraynor21

jimraynor21 Well-Known Member

If the clutch switch was bad, wouldnt it disable you from even push starting the bike?

12. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Nope. Clutch is out when you bump start. Clutch in is what starts the bike

13. McGixxer

McGixxer Well-Known Member

Wow! I thought if the clutch sensor was bad it wouldnt prime, and click the relay, and all that stuff...

I bridged the two clutch wires with a fuse just to see, and it fixed it!!!

14. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Good deal

Now fix it properly, jumping the clutch out puts it in a safe mode map