1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grand Rapids MI

Discussion in 'General' started by Derick, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Someone tell me about this city. Just put in for a promotion, not sure if I'll get it, but thought I'd do some homework while I wait. Yes I know there's 2 race tracks nearby. Where to live, where to find girls, how cold, etc type shit.

2. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Lots of good beer around there. I'd go live in Holland by the lake and commute though.

beac83 likes this.
  3. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Well, it's southwest Michigan. Kind of like South Dakota, only different.

Not much to do that isn't outdoors stuff. The high point is the Gerald Ford Presidential Library.

Gets more snow than Chicago, as wind flowing across the lake picks up moisture and it falls as snow across Western Michigan (at least until the lake finally freezes over in late February or early March).

Have to drive (or take Amtrak) to Chicago or Detroit to get to anything interesting. Kind of nice to retire at. Upside is that both Detroit and Chicago are only about 3-3.5 hours away by car.

Very conservative, very religious (dutch reformed). Kind of acts as a region-wide buzz-kill.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

5. beac83

Rob, that's not nice! :crackup:

Boman Forklift likes this.
  6. Sure the Ridersdiscount guys will chime in.

7. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

I'm too old for this cold bullshit

8. beac83

If it's any consolation, its no colder than Chicago on that side of the lake. Being farther north, it may vary a few degrees, but there's essentially no difference in temperature. Just more snow (which means snowmobiling and ice racing!) :)

9. SupermotoFan

SupermotoFan deep Clothing Company

Dragon's Milk and epic OHV trails (Northern Michigan).

10. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

There are no Rapids as far as I could tell. It's a lie.

cav115 likes this.
  11. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

No Rapids? Dammit, I bet it's not really that Grand either

12. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

My father said "Eleven months of beautiful weather, and one month of tough sledding". My mother complained (a lot!) this year about having to shovel the snow down far enough, to allow the mailman to find her mail box. Out side between Halloween and Mother's Day ? Think Schnapps. Lot's of Schnapps. Tell the truth; Are you a Red Wings fan ? :rolleyes:

13. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Actually I do like the red wings

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  14. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

There are some rapid people there!

15. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Hop on a snowmobile trail….ride to Alaska!

16. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

West Michigan has quite a few good things to offer:
    Grattan
    Gingerman
    Affordable housing
    Founders Brewing
    Bell's
    Plenty of ORV trails
    Silver Lake Sand Dunes
    Great mountain biking

madcat6183 likes this.
  17. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

I'm here now picking up bikes. Went for a drive this morning across the east side of town down, I believe, Thornapple River dr. It's nice over here. Came up last year and rode Grattan. What a track! I dig it up here. In the summer... I'll take your word on the winters :)

18. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Number 9. Gordie Howe Hat Trick. 25 years. Original six. Detroit Skating Club.

19. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

If I would have known this I would not have helped you change your wheels on Saturday.

beac83 likes this.
  20. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Bitch.