1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Generator for AC and warmers?

Discussion in 'General' started by rpm894, Mar 25, 2023.

1. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

Last year, I loaded my bike into the bed of my truck and slept in a tent every weekend. It was ok but miserable in the rain and heat. And loading and unloading the bike (and fixing it when I inevitability dropped it off the ramp...) got old fast.

This year, I'm making some upgrades. I got an Aluma utility trailer (can't store enclosed trailer where I live) and a camper shell for the truck. The truck cap has a taller roof, so it should make a comfortable place to sit and get out of the heat. Having AC is my number one priority, but I'm trying to figure out what to do about a generator.

I have a Honda EU2200. I think that will run a small portable AC by itself. It seems like all portable ACs list 1050-1250W regardless of BTU between 6,000-11,000, but I've read about the compressor starting watts being more like 1800W. So the EU2200 rated at 1800W, is going to be running pretty hard if I use that for an AC. Then I would have to get another EU2200 for warmers. I could run them in parallel for 3600W, which I guess would keep them running easier, but that's twice as much generator maintenance.

I'm wondering if the EU3000 (2800W rated) might be the answer. Would it handle an AC and warmers? It might be running hard during the day, but once the warmers are off, I'm thinking it would be quieter than 1 or 2 EU2200. But I'm not sure if it would handle starting the AC with 1000W already going to warmers.

I'm open to other ideas. Thanks.

2. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Two EU2200's in parallel. I tried the one bigger genny route and went back to 2 - EU2200's. More power. Easier to load, unload and move around. No more maintenance - they're Hondas. More versitility - when you only want one, you don't have a big load to deal with. Just my opinion.

Cheers,

dave

MELK-MAN, Razr, pjdoran and 2 others like this.
  3. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Don't cheap out on genny. Get more power than you need. Buy once, cry once.

We have ran a Honda EU3000is (just change my oil in it today as a matter of fact...lol) for 4 years now. All I've done is put gas in it and change the oil. It runs our camper and warmers. With no soft start, it will trip off once in awhile but not very often...only if it's silly hot. I have a soft start capacitor to install, just have not gotten around to putting it on. We also have ours on wheels...makes it super easy to move around.

Since you already have the one 2200 already...just get another and cables. Maintenance is not that big of deal, they are small genny's. You'll have more power than the EU3000is and will be more than enough for your needs.

We started off with a Predator 3500, and that thing left us without power two different weekends for no reason....returned it and bought the HOnda. Glad we did.

MELK-MAN and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

get an extended run tank as the 1 gallon tank on the EU2200 are kind of a pain to fill. Also there is a weld on fitting you can get for the EU exhaust where you can point the exhaust upward ala a genturi setup.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  5. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

There's a guy who works the local motorcycle shop here he used to own a Honda dealership way back when before they close them all up.
    Anyways last year he had several Honda generators from the 1970s and I think they were the early 70s all of them worked he said he just did minimum maintenance to them...
    Nuff said.
    Honda generators come with a reputation that I don't think cannot be equaled at least in America.
    I think they are pretty much the gold standard and they're freaking quiet.
    Does harbor freight generators in the old Coleman's I would just like take a shotgun and shotgun every Damn Genny from anyone whom uses those god awful things.
    It's not like a car or a motorcycle that is intermediate those things just stay noisy and it never ends it's relentless

6. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Yamaha generators are every bit Honda's equal, at a minimum, and can usually be bought for less money per watt than the comparable Honda. I have a 1984 commercial Yamaha that was a factory demo when I bought it. I sure wish I had installed an hour meter on it when I got it. I'm certain it has several thousand hours on it. Countless oil changes, new air filters and a new fuel petcock are all I've ever done to it. I now own 4 different Yamaha generators. Last one was for home power outages at my primary home, where hurricane storms have lead to some long outages. Commercial 7,200 watt electric start dealer demo with new warranty, $1,400. Try finding a plus 5k watt Honda for anywhere close to that.

7. This old Rz

I've used a Yamaha before..but in all honesty..I'd be hard pressed to tell you the last time I ever viewed a Yamaha Genny for sale, or pop up used? Seriously...I never see them? I'm in Calif..Hondas dominate the "nice" generator segment.
    I have a small portable brand that uses a Yamaha motor...but ( it's not a 100% Yamaha generator.)
    It's reasonably quiet..but A Honda 2000i is easily 25% quieter than my Yamaha powered Genny. Perhaps it's a regional marketing thing.....?
    I know the Yamahas were prevalent in Az..
    I'd certainly trust most anything Yamaha.

8. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

tophyr and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  9. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Honda has that new EU3200i that’s not much bigger than your 2200 and has fuel injection. Might be worth a look.

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

An EF Yamaha is louder than an EU Honda? I would get my hearing checked...
    Are you talking about the costco ones? Because they are dramatically different from the actual EF units.

Once a Wanker.. and Youpaiyou like this.
  11. jkraft

jkraft Well-Known Member

12. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I keep going back to that thread

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  13. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  14. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

I was excited when I saw that, but then reading the details, the EU3200i is only rated for 2600W.

doubleapex and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  15. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

16. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

Yeah, smaller motor and much smaller tank than the less portable EU3000iES. FWIW I ran my 8 year old EU3000iES next to a new EU3000iK under the exact same load, and the iES was much more quiet. I think that 190cc motor just runs slower, or more likely the bigger chassis has better sound insulation than the smaller EU3000-3200iK.

17. This old Rz

IMG_20230326_120427481.jpg Screenshot_20230326-115547.png
    I have no idea under the sun what a EF or an EU unit is, I've never even heard that terminology, I have no clue?
    This is a little unit I bought got it for $150 from a guy who repairs generators.
    Some brand I've never heard of it's got a Yamaha motor it's reasonably quiet.. but I had it up against that Honda about a month ago somebody was using on a job, its substantially louder but it's not terrible either like some other brands I've heard.
    I was using it to run a "little mini" air conditioner for my van.
    Trust me I ain't realistically complaining for $150.00 bucks .I'm more than satisfied..it starts 1-2 pulls each time.

18. This old Rz

This is pretty much I believe the same Mini a/c unit I was using..it seemed to work fine.
    But I went another direction and bought a used roof mount unit out of a wrecked motorhome for my motovan/ project.
    It's a Ford E350 extended cab cargo,
    Had no insulation at the time .it worked well enough..it was mildly noisy..combined with the lil Genny running.. but when it's hot who cares.. lol Screenshot_20230326-122710.png

19. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

OP, if you're not willing to buy something used with an un-muffled 10HP B&S engine with a loose, rattling cowling then I don't want to know you.
    Get off my lawn and don't come back until your personal comfort is more important than everybody else's.
    Then we can begin to address the entertainment value of a generator you can hear running from 2 miles away.

20. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

Retail on EU2200 is $1,400 now. Another year of inflation and I'll be calling you about those good, loud generators.