1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gatlinburg Fires

Discussion in 'General' started by Montoya, Nov 29, 2016.

1. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Who is going to "push for an adult trial?" That's up to their prosecutor or district attorney, and the juveniles (as well as the offense) have to meet certain requirements before they can be tried as adults. without a prior juvenile record, it's difficult to argue that they're not amenable to juvenile rehabilitation.

I understand the impulse to want to hang the people responsible by their toes, but I don't think any of us are in a position to 1) definitively say we're certain they have the right suspects, or 2) know anything about said juveniles (assuming they are the ones who did it) that suggests this was malicious and not simply stupid. They still need to have consequences, but there's a big difference between an illegal camp fire that gets out of control (and then they freak and don't report it) versus intentionally setting multiple large blazes in dry areas. If it's the latter, then okay, go nuts, but let's not light the torches and grab the pitchforks until we actually know that.

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Where's the fun in that?

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So far it's only the general public pushing for anything. The press conference I saw with the prosecutor said the next step is a judge determining bail and that's it while they keep investigating.

drop likes this.
  4. drop

drop Well-Known Member

News just said the state is pushing for the tried as an adult.

5. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

The police chief said that in a statement... and it looks like the state is not looking at that direction as well.

I don't care either way... just throwing out there what I see/hear on the news.

6. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

You've confused me (it's easy :p) - was that supposed to be, "the state is NOW looking at that direction as well"?

7. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Exactly how old are these juveniles?

8. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

As juveniles, they are protected in the fact that their names, ages, where they live, etc cannot be released to the public. Probably a lot more about them that cannot be released, at least not yet.

9. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

15 and 17

10. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Assuming these kids don't have existing delinquency records, what would the purpose be of trying them as adults?

11. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

To hang 'em from the highest tree

Seriously, to sentence them for more than a couple years. Maybe I'm wrong, but if they are tried as kids, they go free once they reach a certain age, or at least there are significant term limits for minors. With the whole, too young to know, can be rehabilitated, thinking.

12. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

13. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

youre missing my point. How long do you think an adult would spend in prison for this offense?

Juveniles can be held until their 21st birthday.

I expect an adult with no record would be out in 4-5 years (paroled). Sentencing them until 21 accomplishes essentially the same thing.