1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garage door insulation

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, May 29, 2022.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Good evening lads.

My attached garage in my new place in FL becomes a furnace during daylight hours. Doesn't help I guess that its painted a dark'ish color. Anyone use this kind of stuff on the backside of the door to keep the temps inside down? Seems to be all positive reviews from what I read, and trying to work out there during the day is great if I'm trying to sweat off some extra water weight, but short of that its a bit annoying. Curious of any first hand knowledge.

https://www.amazon.com/Reflective-G...f-4657-b40e-ab93cdffd883&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mi

chobes likes this.
  2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

does the door face east or west? You can insulate the door with rigid polyiso... lil pricey but will cut down on radiant heat gain. Biggest issue is garage walls arent typically insulated.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Looking on Google maps the door actually faces directly due west.

4. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

shade is your friend. Any way to get an overhang or awning?

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

blowing in insulation in the attic will help. did that in my garage years ago and made a difference (i live in Fl as well). haven't insulated the garage door but that would be a good idea with something like you posted or suggested above.. i have a window unit AC in the back window that i turn on an hr before if needed but haven't used that in some time..

7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I'm seriously pondering making a chilled water AC unit for my outbuilding using a discarded pool heater heat exchanger and heating my pool as a side benefit.

I have one of these I was just going to cut the copper out of and take it to the recycling center next time I take in cans.

[​IMG]

I'm thinking, build a sheet metal box for it, get a small fan to blow through the box. I'll probably need a drain pan for condensation. Hook up 2" pvc with a pool pump inline, and remove heat from the outbuilding where I don't want it & put it into the pool where I do want it.

8. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

I have a west facing 1 piece steel door, double wide, and insulated the backside with some 1.5" or something like that foamboard. Makes a huge difference, as before the steel would get scorching hot, with direct inside air contact.

Gixxerguy855 likes this.
  9. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Won’t be effective.

Well, be effective maybe for cooling the outbuilding from 110 to 109, but won’t do shit for putting heat in the pool.

Talk to a local pool contractor on a pool heat pump system using an evaporator in the outbuilding. I’ve seen them spec’d but have never actually seen one installed on a pool up here. May be more common/effective down south.

10. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Dammit... But that's not some cheap Redneck Engineering that I can cobble together myself. :mad:

11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

If it were me, I’d buy a new, insulated garage door. Install it so it tightly wedges against the framing, as it closes. Install garage door weatherstrip. Then, install a mini-split HVAC setup, so you can maintain a steady temp and humidity level. If your garage isn’t airtight and climate-controlled, all your stuff will rust, down here.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  12. MELK-MAN

if you live right near the coast ? maybe. Salt in the air can be an issue along the coasts. been there/done that. but you don't need climate controlled garage to keep things from rusting down here for most part. see any rusty cars down here ? and most aren't even in a garage at night..

13. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Despite my Pensacola garage being very tight, my stuff (tools and bikes) rusted without climate control. Now, I’m down in SWFL and everybody’s garage stuff (tools, chests, washers/dryers, steel doors, etc) is rusted. People I know with nice cars and bikes have their garages climate-controlled. The humidity and high dew points constantly expose everything. Salt isn’t a necessity.

Yes. I occasionally do see rusty chrome on cars. However, most vehicles have plastic trim, these days. My Triumph Tiger, under cover in my courtyard, is rusting away. I just spent $200 replacing some of its hardware, with it needing a bunch more stuff. Even the frame is rusting where stuff bolts to it. My VFR and SV are kept in my living room, as my time in Pensacola started their hardware corroding.

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Good deal.....I guess i'll order some and make a weekend project out of it. Seems like a 30 degree temperature difference would be pretty huge....and this is on a white painted door......mine's like a mocha color so I'd imagine its absorbing at least a little bit more heat.

Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 6.49.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 6.49.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 6.50.23 PM.png

15. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

A roll down, retractable sunshade from your roof's overhang will make a huge difference. A lot of options to choose from, at different price-points. Keeping the sun from baking it is key, and all of the other suggestions here are good also.

ducnut likes this.
  16. MELK-MAN

and insulate your garage attic.. you think the heat radiating off the door is bad, your entire ceiling in the garage is radiating heat from the hell that is up there too. may already be up there, but worth taking a look. made huge difference at my house in Tampa.

17. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Dont bother with ac unless the ceiling is insulated.

18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

is this a single family or townhouse/multi family?

19. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

20. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

my garage was hot as well in my new home, so I went to Lowes and bought the foam board insulation then sealed all of the openings along the bottom and it's a big difference! Took a short bit of time and was relatively cheap.