1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future of Healthcare

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Nov 13, 2016.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Actual cost of care? The "cost of care" has been so bastardized to comply with insurance and litigation coding, costs, coverage, allowables, etc. that it's a Gordian knot. It will take a major effort to ferret out the non-valued added component of the cost, if that is even possible.

turtlecreek likes this.
  2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Most major cities have a child specific hospital that doesn't look at income or ability to pay for treatment.
    I've taken my son to them a couple of times... even with appropriate coverage, did not cost anything out of pocket.

3. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Totally agree. Point is that competition between insurance companies won't fix this. And add regulatory cost impacts to that list. I

These things are the fundamental reason that the aca could never lower cost. It never ever focused on the actual cost of care.

4. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Start in the accounting and legal departments...

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Add in the paperwork requirements of compliance with current ACA rules. My Primary Care Physician retired because the paperwork required by insurance and the ACA didn't allow him time to spend with patients. He was taming charts home and working at night for a long time to continue to deliver a superb level of care. Guy would take time to get to know you and spend at least 15 to 20 minutes getting to know what was going on in a patients life during a routine physical.

6. ped

ped Banned

yes they die once, often quick costing insurance nothing. old ladies constantly get in car wrecks, cause wrecks, and generally fuck traffic up costing massively more.

The best thing insurance has are people who smoke, drink, ride motorcycles. It's like their lottery.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I agree with your logic, but unfortunately the industry practice does not

8. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Yeah, there are no long term medical costs associated with cancer, traumatic brain injury, spinal injury.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So finally signed up on the ACA site. Cheapest I can get is right at $400/month. $6,800 deductible and it covers absolutely nothing else - no doc visits, no ER visits, no drugs, not a damned thing until the deductible is paid. So basically catastrophic only insurance.

Now to get the tax return and run the numbers on paying the fine. Catastrophic bankruptcy works fine for me, don't have anything other than the house anyway.

cav115 and 418 like this.
  10. 418

418 Expert #59

So at this point let's say the ACA get a repealed, what option is left? Because I'm pretty sure rates aren't going to magically get cut in half once obamacare is gone.

Cheapest I've found in ACA is around $500 a month for family of four and that's pretty much same thing, catasrophic coverage. The coverage I would actually want would run me $1500 a month, that's with government subsidy at that.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You can't have socialized medicine without tort reform, breaking the backs of the trial lawyers, controlling pharm pricing and medical billing.

ACA's biggest issue was they tackled none of that, instead they let the insurance companies write the damn bill.

As a right wing nut (or whatever the Bernie supporting NY state lawyers says) I'm all for socialized medicine or at least a cost effective without the punitive punished version of Obamacare.

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Would you be up for a two tiered system? One that's "adequate" and available to all, then another that's available to anyone willing to pay the prices?

13. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

That would at least be an honest system and probably sustainable. I like the idea of insurance being only for catastrophic events as it should be, but unfortunately you can't pay for anything out of pocket these days because it will cost $900 for you just to see a doctor.

14. ped

ped Banned

Old people dont get cancer, only drinkers and smokers.

15. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Really?

You should tell that to my mother.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'm open to a single good basic plan between the obamacare bronze and silver package you then have the option to buy supplementary insurance to pick up the slack. Like medicare but a bit better.

In Your Corner likes this.
  17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Here's my primary beef with healthcare:

Say I have a cyst I want removed. I go to the doctor, have a consult, get some tests, they do a biopsy, schedule the surgery, knock me out, snip the growth out, a couple of stitches, some pain meds, and I'm on my way. It's an easy $10-20k. I pay the deductible, insurance pays a negotiated rate on the rest, say $12k.

Say I want bigger tits. I go through more or less the same procedure, but double the work. It's elective so no insurance, but there are 50 plastic surgeons within 100 miles willing to do it. It's $3500 cash.

418 likes this.
  18. brex

brex Well-Known Member

If we get away from all the government regulated and mandated crap, the rest of the medical industry can be like the cosmetic and veterinarian practices. Most docs would like to get away from the crap too. Less paperwork, less chasing down payments, etc.
    Health care costs and health insurance costs need to be separated.

And you should totally get those bigger tits.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  19. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

soooo... what exactly is your gripe? one is gross and disgusting and you should never talk about it again. the other makes the world a brighter place. i'm not seeing the problem here.

"hey guys! wanna know something fucked up??? i have 2 job openings at my company... one is for a guy who shovels pig shit on a farm, the other is for a judge in a jello wrestling ring. i get 120 applicants for the latter, and none for the former. i don't understand people, ughhh..."

TurboBlew likes this.
  20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

From a purely procedural standpoint, they're more or less the same. The only difference is that one is elective and not covered under insurance, the other is. It's a perfect illustration of what's wrong with the system.

And honestly dude, I'm a 6ft 210lb ugly dude. How would me having big tits make the world a brighter place?

badmoon692008 likes this.