Fun Car for 3rd Vehicle

Discussion in 'General' started by omatter34, May 15, 2018.

1. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you want a AMG or an M5

2. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

3. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

AMG Benz

A friend stopped by with an E63 AMG that was 3 or 4 years old that he was 'test driving' for the weekend. V12 twin turbo, something like 900 ft-lbs of torque. Yours for something in the $45k range from the Benz dealer in Seattle. It pushed me back in the seat harder than any other car I have ever been in.

XFBO likes this.
  4. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

I vote something like this. Comfort with performance. How tired do you think you'll be having to climb in and out of a car that sits super low and is sport focused? It would be worth it if there were roads to justify it, but Florida. ..

5. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

that's why i suggested an RS6 as well. some rich kid we knew around here had one with a few mods (which pushes it pretty easily to like 650whp). randomly ran into him one night on my R6 back in the day on the DC beltway. i was ROLLIN' already and it passed and walked away from my bike like i was standing still. fast ass car and still easy to drive every day.

Bruce likes this.
  6. BigBird

BigBird blah

Performance package which has LSD and brakes are a must though if you want to track it. If you get one, it will eventually become your daily driver. Heck I gave up the minivan, and make the GTI work as our daily. It does everything so well, and puts a grin on your face when you hit that start button.

And if you want to modify it, they make everything you can think of for it. It can handle 400+ whp with stock internals if you want to go that route, and still handle on rails. The DSG is pretty awesome and faster than the manual, but you do lose a little driver engagement, but you get most of it back when changing out the stock paddles.

SmokeSignalRT likes this.
  7. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Price on big AMGs are so good now a days. But better have a savings account for when anything goes wrong on those engines.

XFBO and BigBird like this.
  8. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

And rear tires.

Phl218 likes this.
  9. BigBird

BigBird blah

even though most are AWD now?

10. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Friend had one that was not AWD, think he was replacing rears every 10-12000 miles or something and he was not heavy footed.

11. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

It's a V8 Twin Turbo, not a V12.

BigBird likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Damn, there is a blue one for sale for 50 ish the boss would love...

How bad are DB9's on maintenance?

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know a very nice 700+ hp mustang for sale for under 40k.

14. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Well when the say this at the end, it might give you pause.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: Good point.

Upside is after her $17k or so Civic she'd never consider it. Best she'll do is lease something around the 30-40k level to keep her payments the same but upgrade the vehicle if she can figure out what she wants next.

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

17. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i foreal hear that the Vantage V8 is pretty easy on maintenance and pretty decently reliable. like anything else of that level, if/when something does go wrong though its gonna cost. but still... if you get a Vantage without the ceramic carbon brakes, i think its a pretty easy car to own. oil changes every 10k miles i think or once a year, nothing crazy about its design... if i had like $70k to throw around i'd foreal look for a 2014-15 or something. its a beautiful car. no solid lifter valve jobs all the time though or crazy expensive brakes pads/rotors... those two differences from say, a Ferrari, will save a bunch of money right from the get go of owning one.

Two cases in point though... we knew a dude who bought a Bentley GT for cheap as shit. and why not? design's barely changed in forever so you look like a cold pimp driving down the street. window regulator broke, there goes $2500 haha.

Another guy we knew bought a 348 for like $22k, which was kinda awesome/funny. For that amount of money who cares about babying it, so he'd put a snowboard rack on top and drive it up thru the snow to the ski slopes and shit haha. A/C broke on that puppy. Had to drop the engine out to fix it. Thousands right there. So yea... i think owning a Vantage is pretty easy generally... but i'd be prepared for something stupid breaking costing a bunch of thousands still on anything Porsche or higher.

18. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

The Ferraris don't break that often and are easy to work on but the $7500 belt changes every 15k miles is the killer

19. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

He could have mistaken the E-class for the S-class AMG. You can get the S-class with the TTV12. I think it's the S65 AMG.

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds