From the road...

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Jun 1, 2016.

1. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Exactly why I asked, just like you said it doesn’t add up. Faulty equipment would be a reason for emergency braking to not work like your trailer issue. It’s my understanding they loss of pressure stops the rig, if everything is working properly. Trailer brakes are a small part as we know the weight and control is at the tractor.

I’ve asked what the criminal part was as I’m missing it and Mike only points to driver error or lack of ability. Still don’t understand the criminal part of the accident. I’m not on a side or looking for an argument, that’s not @you @R1Racer99, I’m just trying to understand it.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  2. 27

27 Well-Known Member

hey Mike, did you mean to quote me? I didn’t post a video and don’t know what “the right place” is... if that was intended for me.

if you meant to quote me and that response was to me let me know and I’ll respond.

3. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

He put a news report video up in the video's section about the crash

Official YouTube Video Thread | Page 982 | 13x Forums

I also put one up below it of a monkey fighting a chicken . I really wish I owned that monkey and chicken,Its all I would watch :D

27 likes this.
  4. 27

27 Well-Known Member

You know I really know I shouldn’t post...

I specifically asked for facts reviewed by you drivers and specifics that would make this accident criminal.

I’m happy to interact with all of your drivers and thanks for the insight. We didn’t even discuss the “come on with your big rig” skits from the Bob and Tom show... Rodney Carrington maybe?

Mike, if you want to compare driving records or for me to show you why you’re wrong about this on every level I will. As I said over and over I didn’t want to argue, or choose sides I wanted facts and to discuss with intelligent objective experienced drivers. You don’t qualify.

peace fellas, safe travels

ToofPic likes this.
  5. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

This is your post literally replying to the post saying he made it down the hill then continued on for 4 miles on flat ground. Assuming this is correct, that's at least 4 minutes to coast to a stop on the shoulder, limp to the Flying J etc. What am I missing?

6. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

ToofPic likes this.
  7. Ducati89

Ducati89 Ticketing Melka's dirtybike

Well, I'd still like to think society is worth saving. But it isnt:D

8. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

Relax, take a deep breath. From what I read in your posts, you're hung up on an air failure. While that can become an issue on a long/steep downgrade, glazing your drums and shoes is the other side of brake failures on a downgrade. Once you cook your shoes/drums, there is no stopping, even if you pump your air to nothing and trip the emergency system.

I'm not well informed on this case but it seems the prosecutor threw the book at the driver because he chose to not take options that would have kept this wreck from happening, like at least one runaway truck ramp or running off the side of the road. The one report I did read on this said the driver was going 85 MPH shortly before the wreck. That's where your criminal charges come in. I'm not sure why he couldn't have slowed significantly in the 4 miles prior to impact.

It wouldn't surprise me that the driver had little instruction or experience in what to do in this scenario. I don't think many driving schools have simulators. And all too many are just putting warm bodies into seats and getting them just competent enough to move around town without running shit over. Seeing some drivers try to maneuver around lots and stick their trailer in a door tells you this much.

BigBird likes this.
  9. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Some people prefer to just form an opinion based on nothing more than ""Truck wrecked" "People died" "Driver sentenced to 110 years".

10. 27

27 Well-Known Member

that was before I finally looked at the video instead of trying to get objective opinions from others that may have reviewed it already, that’s why I said “if” I agree it makes no sense at all the way it has been presented.

after watching Just the 5 sec video I don’t think there was a major mechanical failure at all, if there was he would’ve stopped. Nobody would knowingly continue down a mountainside without brakes unless they were suicidal. The truck was on the brakes when he was swerving lanes... it’s my opinion, like the ones I asked the drivers on here for, that he was just over his head cooked the brakes, and then did it again and lost control again, killing the poor people.

BigBird likes this.
  11. 27

27 Well-Known Member

That’s exactly the type of informative educational post I was trying to engage, thanks for that. I appreciate you taking the time to actually respond the the inquiry. So the excessive speed made it a crime by some law I’m not aware of like criminal recklessness or something?

I didn’t need to calm down or breathe, I just specifically asked for a non confrontational dialog without MSM sensitization and got a BS link and told please don’t get behind the wheel... I’ve never had an accident with another vehicle and never injured anyone in 35 years of driving all sorts of vehicles including semis. So I do take safety seriously, my own and especially others’ as well.

12. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Hey Gold Miner, this isn’t like my ungrounded dislike of SH! :D

I was actually trying to form an educated opinion on this subject, but my patience and filters ran out before I was able to.

13. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

non sequitur to a white courtesy phone.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You must be new here.

dtalbott likes this.
  15. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Objective perspectives... but certainly you knew what I meant to type and the further derailment is simply deflection as is the deliberate mislabeling of the standard courtesy phone color... again, I knew better.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  16. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

I disagree with your assessment. Cooked brake shoe linings would definitely be a major mechanical failure. He may have been pressing the brake pedal and getting brake lights on his trailer but those shoes may as well have been wood (or metal on metal) for the friction they were producing at that point. Think smoked clutch plates, you can try to proceed but you won't get any more friction out of them.

I also wonder if the driver hadn't missed a downshift when he first started his decent causing him to rely solely on his brakes. Freewheeling may be the answer to why he didn't slow down faster once he got onto flatter ground.

There may be more information on the case available to the public, I'm too lazy to look for it. I will agree you won't get objective info from the news media, they are too busy trying to sell their (slanted) point.

Dude really effed himself. Not having a grasp of the English language didn't help him. Makes me wonder how he even got a CDL, really. He is responsible for his actions and the resulting mess but 100 years does seem a bit excessive. People get less for murder.

17. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

CDL test in Virginia is available in 30+ languages. Highway signs in English.

I'd guess most states are the same way.

18. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

That’s the annoying part of this story to me. Again, I haven’t researched it, but there should be obvious evidence of what happened and it should be part of the news angle. I’m sure the investigators looked at the brakes and figured out exactly what happened, but yet none of the stories I’ve seen mention that.

dtalbott likes this.
  19. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Thanks all of you, this is the dialogue I was trying to have. I concede that cooked brakes would be a failure. I don’t have the experience to that though.

I brought up the freewheeling because a neutral down that incline is not going to be something an inexperienced driver can easily overcome.

back to this... I don’t think anyone would fly down the mountain saying f y’all because he could’ve just as easily been dead. It was an accident, a horrible one, but can’t see how it was intentional or criminal.

20. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

A criminal act doesn't have to be intentional. Whether you agree with how they are written or not, there are laws on the books that define actions as criminal whether or not that was the intent of the person committing them.

Montoya likes this.