Freak hockey fatality

Discussion in 'General' started by CRA_Fizzer, Oct 29, 2023.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

40 years on the ice here, worst that ever happened was a puck to the bottom lip. Didn't break a tooth but put a hole in my bottom lip. I went to the bar with the rest of my teammates after the game and cracked them up by shooting beer out of the hole. Stopped at the hospital on the way home and got it sewed up.

My friend took a stick to the throat and had it swell shut to the point he needed a tracheostomy. If I recall he played the next week.

I love this game:D

Almost forgot, I took a stick to the face a couple years ago in an exhibition game.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2023
    R1Racer99 likes this.
  2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

It’s like mouth pieces, they’re mandated too but rarely enforced, which pisses me off because when I enforce I get the same old song and dance that the ref yesterday let them play without them. We talk about that every meeting we have, that we need to enforce the neck guard and mouth guard rules, but very few do. I usually wait until a kid is running his mouth at me to pop him for the mouth guard but neck guards are automatic for me. If I see kids not wearing them during warmups, I’ll warn the coach about it and remind him it’s an automatic misconduct for being on the ice without a neck guard.

rd400racer and bullockcm like this.
  3. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I'm so glad I grew up in the time before mouth guards were required. I can't wear one, I gag and choke on them. It no doubt would have prevented a few concussions, or lessened the severity, but I've had them all from cheap one sized fits all to custom made $$ from the dentist, and it's a no go. I just can't make them work. I've tried numerous times.

rd400racer and R1Racer99 like this.
  4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Never wore one either, I couldn't chirp with it in:D

5. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I wore a gum shield for a couple of years when I played football (proper football) in the UK. It used to freak some of the opposition players out, it was as if one of the Hanson brothers was playing, they thought I was a bit of a psycho and kept well away from me and as a full back that was my part of the game won.

6. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Zednik was the other guy who got cut on the neck, by his own player. Wicked.

7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I lost my two front teeth for the second time when I
    had the end of a stick jammed into my mouth during
    a pond hockey game. I would much rather have endured
    the inconvenience of wearing a mouthguard.

As far as the accident is concerned, I've seen the video
    and it may or may not have been an accident, I don't watch
    hockey games often and I couldn't say if what happened was
    normal, but I can say that I've never seen a player get his
    foot five feet above the ice trying to keep his balance. It
    certainly looked odd to me and at the very least it warrants
    investigation, including the history of actions of the player
    and anything that may have gone on between the two men
    earlier in the game. To just dismiss it as an accident would
    be improper.
    And, for you hockey nuts, while I am not a big fan of the game
    I want you to salivate over the fact that I once had a conversation
    with Bobby Orr that didn't take place at an autograph event; at
    the time my boss used to play golf with him and he stopped by
    the place where I worked. We were the biggest beer distributor
    in Boston and he wanted to see what over a million cases of beer
    in one place looked like. Nice guy, and his blonde wife was hot.
    And he gave me his autograph, which I still have.
    I might sell it for the right money.
    I used to work at a place where my boss was a sports fanatic and
    a total asshole and I used to torture him with the fact that I have
    met so many sports heroes and it didn't mean anything to me
    since I couldn't care less about professional sports.

BigBird likes this.
  8. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Ollie Jokinen's skate clipping Zednik was 5 foot high , they played on the same team. Watching the Johnson play which is a crummy video but still questionable.

9. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Imagine the AMA mandating the use of neck support braces in Road Racing like the Leatt brace. Have you ever tried to wear one while road racing? I tested one at Barber about 10-15 years ago. Good luck turning your head enough to look through the corner.

A dangler in hockey (neck guard) is a pain the fucking ass especially looking down... The soft neck protectors are hot as fuck too.

In the next 15-20 years if we keep trying to save ourselves from ourselves we will all be walking around in bubble wrap.

Motofun352 and R1Racer99 like this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

11. grasshopper

The big question is.... Did Petgrave intend to raise his leg? If he did, that is voluntary manslaughter. If the video proves he did not intend to raise his leg it could be involuntary manslaughter. I've watched the video about 100 times now and it's hard to tell. Did Petgrave's leg get clipped? If it did wouldn't his leg have gone backwards away from Johnson? Maybe it's angle of the video... Not sure. Did these 2 guys have beef on the ice?

I apologize for replying to you in the way I did last week or the week before. The more I watch the video the more it does seem reckless and I hate to say intentional. How does a players leg go in that direction, that high from getting clipped by another players skate?

12. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

:beer: No worries. I don't take the internet seriously.

As for this incident, I only watched the video once, which was enough to see that the dude got checked HARD and his leg flung after that check.

If we're slinging charges, wouldn't we have to charge the guy who checked the other guy too? Gig him for accomplice to manslaughter?

Charge the company that made the skate? The zamboni driver that night? The guy that drove the team bus to the game that night?

Why do the criminal courts need to get involved over every shitluck accident?

13. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Because they have too much time on their hands not prosecuting actual crimes…

14. grasshopper

I can honestly say that after playing hockey for over 30 years I have never seen anyone kick their leg that high though regardless of how off balance they are from getting checked or tripped.

15. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I’ve played over 30 years also and I’m with you, that was definitely not something that happens randomly. Only he knows what he was thinking at the time, but there’s no way he was trying to kill the guy, I think charging him is excessive. My best guess is he was trying to take his knee out and lost his balance, but it was such a weird play there’s no way to know. If you look at it from a player’s perspective, what the hell was he doing taking that angle anyway, it was just dumb all around.

16. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

If he was trying to kick the player or use his foot to block him
    then he probably didn't mean to kill him but his reckless action
    did cause the man's death. People are charged with unintentional
    manslaughter all the time.
    I doubt that most drunk drivers who kill someone in an accident
    set out to cause someone's death but when they accidentally kill
    someone they are charged criminally. Certainly that hockey player
    knows he essentially has a knife on the bottom of that foot he is kicking
    someone with which would make his actions reckless.

17. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

This guy is a pro. Looked intentional to me. The check before did not seem crazy, was standard and I see it no other way. The dude that got cut was a champ, just bleeding out, skating around. prob knew he was going to bleed out but tough as nails.. Suck

18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I'm going off memory from reading it a couple weeks ago but I think I remember that the guy had been thrown out of the previous 4 games for dirty play and was the most penalized player in that league. So take that for what you will. Sure if you care to look into it you'll find it easy enough, I don't remember where I saw it, think it was a British sports site.

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

i mean this is in England, so you're saying they are the same as the US?

20. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

I’ve got a scar under my chin from this very thing. Love hockey, wished I wasn’t too banged up to play anymore.