1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freak hockey fatality

Discussion in 'General' started by CRA_Fizzer, Oct 29, 2023.

1. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

2. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

All I can think of is Clint Malarchuk incident way back. He got very lucky that night. RIP

ungwaha, R1Racer99 and CRA_Fizzer like this.
  3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Truly sad. RIP.

4. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

This same thing happened to a local high school kid about 20 some years ago and luckily a doctor at the rink saved his life

5. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

We had a guy get cut open on the back of his leg one night and he was bleeding out pretty bad. Luckily there was a women in the stands who immediately jumped out on the ice and started a tourniquet. I also remember a time playing in high school where one of my team mates got a blade across his leg right above his knee. The cut was so clean it didn't bleed but you could see the tendons and muscles in there. I was like... "Dude don't look at it!" he did and immediately went into shock and passed out. The risk is real.

Rest easy Adam. Terrible fucking news.

6. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

This "freak accident" totally could have been avoided. Manslaughter at the very least.

7. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Oh FFS!

8. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Huh??

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  9. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I saw the video.

You are incorrect.

Someone got checked and swung his leg up trying to catch his balance. "Freak accident" that the deceased was right behind him.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  10. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

this happened in the playoffs like 20 years ago i remember, but i forget who, and he survived but he lost a LOT of blood. hockey has some wild freak occurrences sometimes. I remember a game where Al MacInnis took a slap shot from like center ice and it hit a dude in the chest and he got heart arrhythmia from it and collapsed on the ice cause his heart stopped for a second.

11. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Up until a certain age, all the kids I coached had to wear a neck protector. I think once they hit Bantam it was optional, but I know for sure they didn't have to wear them at the high school level. I have not watched the video, I don't like to see things such as that.

SGVRider likes this.
  12. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Been a rule for the last couple of years that high school (federation rules) are required to wear a neck guard or it’s a 10 minute misconduct. USA hockey sanctioned leagues don’t have to wear one, it’s optional.

13. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Get the fuck out of here

SGVRider, CRA_Fizzer and R1Racer99 like this.
  14. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I think this is sarcasm, I hope?

15. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I went to the first game of the season of the high school I used to coach this past weekend (mainly because my son is the goalie coach) and I see maybe one kid with a neck guard. I wonder if the parents are going to demand that all players wear one now.

[​IMG]

R1Racer99 likes this.
  16. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

I mean... it was on the internet.

17. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Same, but I had to see that it was, in fact, accidental.

100% it was.

rd400racer likes this.
  18. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

I think it's more of having a kevlar cut proof style undergarmet on , similar to the cut proof socks that are made. Like a high neck/turtle neck style. I always played net and wore a neck guard under the chest protector.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  19. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure we had to wear a fullcage and neckguard until we were 18, then it was wide open. I played Mens league for years with just a helmet, but got slashed above the eye for a few stitches one night, and decided a half visor was probably a good idea from then on. I ditched the neckguard and shoulder pads as soon as I could. Tragic accident, and a terrible way to go. RIP young man.

Neckguards are great, and DO work better than not having one. I won't make a pushl for a rule either way, but if one is concerned about it, then they should wear one. I strongly dislike knee jerk rules and law based on isolated freak accidents while everyone is running on emotion.

It's a dangerous game, I know a guy that lost a finger from a skate. I took a skate blade to the inner thigh one time. Sliced through my pants, and into the skin, but nothing major.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I call for a national ban on these very dangerous weapons of murder. Hockey player lives matter.

sharkattack likes this.