1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FOX TV & DAYTONA 500

Discussion in 'General' started by G Dawg, Feb 18, 2001.

1. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Is anyone watching this? Great coverage and
    my surrond sound loves it!!!!!!!

2. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

Yeah, but it's still cars with carburetors turning left all day...

3. HNIC 102

HNIC 102 Well-Known Member

Atleast it is racing instead of Wrestling of XFL

4. Hubbard

Hubbard Puff... Puff... Give...

Sorry, not watching cars. We're watching race tapes of the Sugo round of WSB. Wildcard Izutsu is kicking ass!

5. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

[yeah, but I would like to feel what it's
    like to be in a draft like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

Alright, I'll admit the big wreck was pretty good.

7. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

OH YEA!!!

8. Zanyeights

Zanyeights Well-Known Member

Man what a race!!!!

Hope Earnhardt is alright.

9. carrollm

carrollm Fast Rice Racing #71 ex.

I think they should extend their wheel and pedals, and make them all sit on top of their cars and race wearing leather suits. Then we could relate a little better...

10. Zanyeights

Zanyeights Well-Known Member

I have an affinity for all motorsports, whether dirt, pavement, twisties or ovals,2,3,4 wheels. I think it takes a certain mentality to participate in any motorsport. I would say that motocross has more injuries than roadracing and car racing and it is by far the slowest.

Anybody who says that machines going in excess of 180 mph inches from each other is boring just becuase they turn left is crazy (my opinion). Those guys are just as twisted as we are and I give them all my respect. While I may be stressed for 10 laps (20 on a Saturday) and occasionally an hour in an endurance race...those boys are inches from each other for hours at a time. So, they have sides and cages, they also have 3400 lbs and 42 others just like em breathing down their necks. Same danger different circumstances.

I feel its the NASCAR fans that have given the sport a bad name.

Man, I am glad racing season is upon us...

11. wera122

wera122 Guest

Then come down to Roebling next month and enter the MW Solo 20. Coming down the front straight on the first lap is a blast! You can double and triple draft there. [​IMG]

12. wera122

wera122 Guest

You and me both Ryan. It's too bad there's such a long break until the next SE race though. [​IMG]

At least we'll have the Daytona 200 to get a fix before then. You gonna be at Roebling?

13. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

So you had to make this personal, huh? Well, you said that it's NASCAR fans that give the sport a bad name. It seems you are a big fan. I'll let you draw your own conclusion. [​IMG]

Good racing, to me, is more than watching competitors finishing in a close bunch. Where is the technology in NASCAR? I like motorcycle racing, Formula One auto racing, or the World Rally Championship not only for the action, but also because I find what those engineers design every year absolutely fascinating.

All NASCAR has to offer is close finishes which, in case you haven't noticed, are carefully orchestrated by the officials through yellow flags and rules changes. As far as the full-throttle, left-turn-only racing, hey, to each is own. I don't think you're crazy because you think it demonstrates top driving skills. I think you're wrong, but I don't think you're crazy. I'm pretty sure of one thing: put me on a speedway for a day with a top crew chief, and my lap times will be closer to Jeff Gordon's than I could ever get to Kenny Roberts, even with the full backing of HRC and a whole year of testing at Suzuka. You know why? Because once the crew chief sets up the car for me, all I'll have to do is keep my foot in it and turn left. I may not be fast enough to qualify for the Daytona 500 (because of my set-up, not my driving skills), but I'll get a hell of a lot closer than I would in qualifying for a GP.

p.s. Notice I'm talking about testing and qualifying only. Driving in traffic is a different matter. I think it takes a lot of experience to race competitively in NASCAR.

[This message has been edited by thiam1 (edited 02-18-2001).]

14. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I used to think the same way about NASCAR.
    And I do agree there are alot of fans out there that have more missing teeth than brain
    cells, but it is a great sport that is getting bigger all the time. As far as turing
    the same lap times, I doubt it. There have been many former racers from other fields of
    motorsports, that can't cut it in NASCAR.

15. TSR

TSR Well-Known Member

Co[Kevin]ugh, Co[Schwantz]ugh! [​IMG]

16. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

Read again: I said I'd get closer to NASCAR times than to GP times. And before anyone says "yeah, but the laps are shorter" let me add that I mean on a percentage basis.

Anyway, this is all academic. I just heard the news that Earnhardt didn't make it. I'm not a NASCAR, but I am a Dale fan sure. He sure will be missed.

17. TSR

TSR Well-Known Member

Granted the crash was huge, and involved many cars, but to see the Red Flag come out, was very Non-NASCAR-ish.

I wondered how much of a judgement call was made to stop the race, resulting in a 50 lap sprint, rather than risk having the "Superbowl of Racing" end anti-climatically under caution.

How about Jeff Burton simply running into another driver in the IROC race. Talk about a brain fart. It was even funnier to see him shrug it off. Gave me the impression of, "Not my car, screw it."

Oh shit, Earnhart died!

18. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

S#*t, just heard he died. God speed Dale

19. michael

michael Well-Known Member

ill have you know that keven finished third in his first ever bush race at datona and the reason he left the sport was sponser problems (ryder backed out when they figured out how much it costs to be competive) terrable news about dale though would have been a great day for the earnhearts

[This message has been edited by michael (edited 02-18-2001).]

20. Hubbard

Hubbard Puff... Puff... Give...

Quote from Dale Earnhart, SR.

"Racing insn't a way of life, it is life."

I think we can all relate.

Godspeed Dale.

[This message has been edited by Hubbard (edited 02-18-2001).]