1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford Diesel expert/Cleveland-Akron

Discussion in 'General' started by exracer941, Jul 28, 2011.

1. exracer941

exracer941 Well-Known Member

On the way back from Mid Ohio last sunday my 6.0 with 83k died about half a mile from home. I got a towed to a diesel guy my buddy reccomended . He has checked it out and the results are inconclusive so far. He is not that familiar with the 6.0 and its various ills. Can anyone point me toward someone here in NE Ohio who is a 6.0 guru.? Just trying to be proactive in case a major repair is needed. ( which unfortunately I think might be the case.)
    Thanks in advance.

2. BC

BC Well-Known Member

What happened when it died?

Worst case take it to ford and pay the $125 diagnostics fee and let them hook it up to a computer. Don't let them do the repairs unless it's under warranty, which your truck should have a 100,000 mile warranty.

If it's covered, they'll even pay the tow and a rental.

3. exracer941

The motor just shutdown. The diesel guy I took it to hooked up the diagnostics and said it looked like something with the high pressure oil that activates the injectors.

4. PEKENG

PEKENG Well-Known Member

Not sure about the 6.0, but I had a 7.3 that quit on me one day. I thought it ran out of fuel.

Tried to restart and it fired right up, but as soon as I touched the "gas" pedal it would quit. turned out to be a bad crank position sensor.

5. ZxMoke

ZxMoke Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to a buddy of mine. oil pressure regulator or some shit like that. He took it to Ford and I think the repair was around 1200-1500 but it is fixed now. His would only start when the engine was cold and the truck was running really weird. also check some ford diesel forums.

6. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

The HPOP is a common failure on the 6.0ls, and the 6.0l engine will not run w/out oil pressure. I believe you can fix it yourself in your driveway if you're handy w/ a ratchet. But the part is expensive from what I've read.

What year is your 6.0? Early 6.0 (pre-April '04 build) or late (after mid-'04)?

Head over to http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f5/ and search, read, search, read and then read some more.

7. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

It could be quite a few different things.

If it just shut right down while driving I'd look into ICP/IPR sensors first.

So now it will not start/run and you have no diagnostic codes at all? You should have some codes of some kind.

Do you have any aftermarket gauges that indicated high water/oil temp before this happened?

There is a STC fitting you should change should you end up pulling the high pressure oil pump. I'd swap the oil cooler as well, they're about 350 as long as you're in there.

Could also be something with your fuel rails, who knows. Definitely sounds like a high pressure oil/fuel problem of some kind.

If you didn't know, there are 2 oil pumps on that motor. One of them is high pressure just for the purpose of firing the injectors. The other lubricates the turbo, bearings, etc.

Was the truck blowing any kind of steam/smoke before this?

You can score a new high pressure oil pump under 1K plus labor.

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Id bet HP oil pump.

9. exracer941

Yup. High pressure oil pump. I had a new oil cooler installed while they were in there too.

10. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Was it expensive?

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

pumps about $1000 give or take. Labor another grand on top

12. exracer941

Yup, thats right on the money......... LOL.
    Still better than a 500 dollar a month payment though. Paid cash for it almost 4 years ago. This was the first money I had to spend on it. Other than new tires and normal maintenance.

13. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

pick up screen o rings used to split on those, loose oil psi loose power, there was a bulliten for it

14. ZxMoke

ZxMoke Well-Known Member

STC connector fitting

Buddy had the same problem.

Since the redesign of the high pressure oil pump for 2005 and newer Power Stroke diesel engines the "snap-to-connect" or STC fitting used to connect the high pressure oil pump to the oil supply branch tube has been problematic. The two piece fittings have a tendency to flex causing wear on the seal and the locking ring resulting in leaks and occasionally the complete separation of the fitting.

15. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

HP oil pump would be my bet too.

One of the top if not the top 7.3 and 6.0 mechanic is unfortunately located in Columbus Ohio, so not locally for you. But name's Ray Cook. I have his number and my GF's uncle is his best friend. He had a 7.3 for years, Ray did all the work for him etc. I would start with the HP oil pump because that is what the injectors run off of. Common fail.

Crossing my fingers I dont have anymore inj. failures in my 6.0......

16. exracer941

It was the HPOP. After it was all buttoned back up they tested the injectors and said the #3 and #7 were a bit down compared to normal spec. So that will be the next thing I need to replace..........:wow: