1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FNG Question

Discussion in 'General' started by Dutch, Dec 29, 2000.

1. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

Howdy ladies and gents. I have been lurking around the BBS for awhile and finally decided to log on. Next season will be my first race season after having spent the better part of last year doing 30 or so track days with NESBA and trying to hone my kneedragging skills before jumping feet first into the meatgrinder. My question is this: I am taking the MARRC school in May and am wondering (assuming Scooter doesnt fail me) will that be recognized by both WERA and that other sanctioning body? Or do I have to jump through more hoops for the privledge of leaving parts of my R6 on the track at WERA events as well?

2. Jeffro510

Jeffro510 Hand bra for hire!!!!

From the 2001 WERA Rule book:

12. WERA licensing requirements:
    a) Resume: A resume or display of another organization’s current roadracing competition license may be accepted as proof of ability, and the new licensee may
    participate in that weekend’s events.
    b) Successfully completing a WERA approved rider’s school. WERA recognizes the following motorcycle ROADRACING schools as the requirement for obtaining
    a Provisional Novice License: WERA New Riders’ School, Ed Bargy’s Rider School, Fasttrax Performance riding school, Corner Speed, Star School, Pro Motion,
    Team Chicago School, F.A.S.T. (Canadian), GP/PRO, CLASS, Team Hammer Advanced Riders’ School, Track Riders, MARRC, Freddie Spencer, California
    Superbike (must take the classroom part of WERA’s school), & Penguin School. The length of time between taking the riders’ school and racing must not exceed
    twelve (12) months.

In other words, yes you will be covered...

3. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

Thanks. And another thing; there seems to be a distinct lack of Yankees on this board judging from everyone's hometown. Is this by design? lol

4. Jeffro510

Jeffro510 Hand bra for hire!!!!

I am a damn yankee, one that moved south and stayed. I am originally from Pittsburgh. There are more yankees, just not everyone will admit it.

5. fargo_bob

fargo_bob New Member

I wanted to get some track time prior to jumping into the racing action, what do you guys think of nesba, team promotion or reduc.

thanks

6. jericson996

jericson996 Well-Known Member

Those southeast guys have it good. Their season starts in Feburary has a bunch of races at good tracks that are close. Plus I think they serve possum at the concession stands at places like Road A Savannah, etc.!

7. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

I haven't ridden with NESBA, but I've been a Reduc member for 5 years and have ridden TPM a few times. Things are a little different, but you'll be happy with either option, I think. It really comes down to details. I personally think that Reduc organizes better track days, but the others have a LOT of them.

8. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

And see I have done the exact opposite - I've never ridden with TPM or Reduc so I can only speak from my NESBA experienes. NESBA has control riders (basically on track instructors) riding in the beginner and intermediate classes in order to help guys learn the fast (well for them anyway) way around the track. This is what drew me to them - I wanted to learn at my own pace and didn't want to jump in feet first - and I wanted to have someone there to hold my hand. I ride in the advanced class with them now, and while I know my times at certain tracks are only a little higher than middle of the pack in comparison to the novice times at that track, I still feel I'll be ahead of the guy who shows up for his first race weekend without ever having been on the track before. Now as far as that Possum y'all been serving at the concessions, can I get that buffalo style?

9. Peanut

Peanut Well-Known Member

I agree w/Dutch, the levels @ either NESBA or TPM are a great way to get started on the track.

10. fargo_bob

fargo_bob New Member

Thanks for the opinions.

If possible i would like to have as much input as possible prior to spending a bunch of money and not liking the club i go with.

I would like to pick one and stick with them.

Thanks

11. RAH431

RAH431 Member

Did I read that right? 30 track days in less than a year? WOW? [​IMG] How many days would you be on the track if you lived in Floriduh?

12. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

Yeah, I'm a little bit of a junkie. Thank God the girlfriend is very understanding of my addiction. But it HAS gotten me to alot of different tracks.

13. RAH431

RAH431 Member

You've probably got more track time than a lot of experts. Don't plan on keeping your yellow plate very long. [​IMG] I guess you've been to most of the tracks on the east coast. Have you been to Nelson Ledges or Mid-Ohio? How about Rausch Creek?

14. Greg Gabis

Greg Gabis Slow Traffic

RAH431...trying to keep a low profile [​IMG] ?

No name. No e-mail address. Have you something to hide? [​IMG]

15. Elmo Buckweather III

Elmo Buckweather III Well-Known Member

Ya, he related to Ted. Ha ha ha ha!

Buck

#545 Keith Palmer

> I am taking the MARRC school in May...

WERA should have a "New Riders School" at the early April Summit opener, why don't you begin the season then? You'll need a third set of rims though (slicks, rains, and... SNOWS!)

BTW - Rausch Creek (new track N of Harrisburg, PA) is presently under construction. Check out the Rausch Creek web site for more info.

And I'm a Rednecked-Yank (...born and raised in FL) living right down the street from you in Kennett Square, PA.

Keith Palmer

17. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

Rausch isn't done yet and from the looks of things will probably be the end of April before everything is good to go. At least thats the word on the street. I plan on being a HUGE fan of that track considering it's less than an hour from my house. I've been as far west as Putnam and as far south as VIR with the club, so I consider myself lucky. Allthough we have a track day on the calendar this year at Road America so I may be extending that "as far west as" statement. All that being said, I do realize that tack days with the club don't hold a candle to a 7 or 8 lap sprint race as far as intensity and the closeness of the passing. Therefor have no illusions about filling Mr. Cobb's shoes (yeah I've been paying attention to that one too!) or setting lap records anywhere!

18. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

Keith - Thanks dude (oh thats another thread) - I looked into the early April date and was told to do the May date for the same reasons you said (snow being a very real possibility.) Kennett Square huh? I thought that was a Harley only town! heh heh.

19. cb500

cb500 long hair hippie freak

I 'm from Pittsburgh also

20. RAH431

RAH431 Member

Yeah, I might be recognized as the endurance teammate of that guy who used to ride a GS. [​IMG] Really, I'm at work and dialed in for the day using a different name.