1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First track day soon with my 07 gsxr 600

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by mtuned, Feb 13, 2011.

1. fzr400tony

fzr400tony can't ride

A track day can give you more track time. The big difference is the quality of that track time. However, if you race three races like I do, it's about $50 than a single track day and about same amount of track time (most of that is the gate fee). TD's in your area may be less.

And racing can end up cheaper if you don't need a 600+ motorcycle. You get your practices and a sprint race for way less than a trackday and you can use a bike like a ninja250 and not get killed by a someone on an R1.

Plus, the guy you'll be racing against will be the same guys who will do their best to help you get faster.

2. mtuned

mtuned Well-Known Member

Bought all my gear =D

Will post it all up once i recieve it!

3. Pilotx1

Pilotx1 Well-Known Member

what did you get?
    good quality gear? one hospital visit prevented pays for all of the gear and then some

4. mtuned

mtuned Well-Known Member

Alpinestar
    SMX Plus boots
    Bionic Back protector
    GP Pro gloves

Fieldsheer radar 1 pc suit.

5. grapesmuggler27

grapesmuggler27 Well-Known Member

My thought process is I have NO track experiance at all, so figured a few track days wouldteach me lines, body position and being comfortable on the bike on a track, I know you can only get race experiance from actual racing. Thanks for the info from everyone, and sorry for the thread jack

6. fzr400tony

fzr400tony can't ride

IMO, lines change from track to track. There's a basic line through a corner, but each track is different. Most racers are going to be close to it. Trackdays; well, it depends. People worry so much about body position. It should change as you get faster and from turn to turn. For example, I hang off a lot with my upper body in Turn 1 at Summit, but not as much in the others (especially corners with transitions). Someone faster (chaotic for example) might do things different; I'm a slow ass. But if I had to do it all over again, all of my track days would have been the Friday before races.

It just seems to me that hanging off like a monkey with your upper body in one turn is a huge benefit, in another turn you're just losing leverage on the bars.

7. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'll give you a good reason why some people feel the way they do. You list crawl, walk, run. When many of us started, there was no such thing as trackdays. We got a bike and raced. Since that time trackdays have exploded, and along with that the mentality to newer riders that they have to do trackdays before they can race. That is so false as to be absurd.

WERA has a huge range of classes in which to start out. The biggest mistake I see new riders doing is buying the latest 1000cc whatever and then wanting to take it on the track. Now that goes totally against your crawl, walk, run scenario.

If you want to do it right, buy a small displacement machine and go racing. My 18 year old son had never ridden a streetbike (keep in mind that he had been dirt riding for years) and he came in 5th out of 6 in his first race. You can't be much more of a newb than that.

I have done one trackday in my life and I compare the experience to what a lobotomy must be like.

Go Racing!

8. mtuned

mtuned Well-Known Member

Just got all my gear today =D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bike fitted up as well!

[​IMG]

Bike street ready

[​IMG]

9. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

^^^^^
    Nice!!

10. Twissta

Twissta Well-Known Member

well it looks like you are on your way money, take your time and and enter in the beginners riding school, which will help you embrace some fundamentals that you will hone as you spend more time on the track. DON't let anyone discourage you from what your original goal is or are. I say you made the right choice in asking the elite of the forum to give you some advice, I would come here too to hear what they have too say. A guy just riding around the track has really no more talent than the racers it was all earned. the difference is the close racing that you will have to deal with and the not getting spooked when a faster rider passes you..so learn how to maintain a racing line and stay calm at all times..some of these guy's take their racing very serious and spend quite a bit of money on there gear and their track time, which you will too as you become more interested in this sport.

many of these guy's will take you under there wing and help you as much as they can. As you get better you will know what you will need and we will be here to answer any of your questions...Now and in the future

11. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

See if your local track day organisers run and open session format where you'll get loads of track time.
    Maybe not the best format if you've never been on track before as you could be on track with the fast guys like Chaotic :) and could scare the bejeezuss outta ya.
    Good luck man, bikes beautiful, gears awesome and do yourself a favor and invest in a GoPro HD to record your adventures.
    Have fun out there and don't be afraid to aprroach folks at the track with questions or concerns.
    L8R

12. L8RSK8R

Don't forget ya need to install a windshield on the track setup ;)

13. mtuned

mtuned Well-Known Member

=D

Thanks i need a oem seat and windsheild to complete it =D

14. L8RSK8R

sportbiketrackgear.com for the windshield.

15. mtuned

mtuned Well-Known Member

Just waiting on brake lines from motomummy and sliders from riderdiscount =D